Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Anaxyrus (Bufo) debilis (Weston green toad)

  1. #1

    Default Anaxyrus (Bufo) debilis (Weston green toad)

    Hi all,

    I am up for the challenge of trying to captive breed Anaxyrus debillis. The problem is I can not find any info or anyone that has done it. Can any of you guys help?

    Thank you for reading

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     

  3. #2
    Moderator Mentat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA USA
    Posts
    5,939
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: Anaxyrus (Bufo) debilis (Weston green toad)

    Lack of documentation could mean no one has done it or ones who have, did not publish it. Here is some nice info about their breeding behavior and tadpole development: AmphibiaWeb - Anaxyrus debilis .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

  4. #3

    Default Re: Anaxyrus (Bufo) debilis (Weston green toad)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Lack of documentation could mean no one has done it or ones who have, did not publish it. Here is some nice info about their breeding behavior and tadpole development: AmphibiaWeb - Anaxyrus debilis .
    Yes I am thinking the same. I'm surprised no one has attempted it. Thank you for that, some ideas. I'm thinking cool period , then a summer rain chamber or flood the viv. I like the challenge just need a little help.

  5. #4
    100+ Post Member Psychotic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    West Virginia
    Age
    35
    Posts
    252
    Blog Entries
    2
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: Anaxyrus (Bufo) debilis (Weston green toad)

    Those guys are so cute! I've been wanting some for sometime. But no one I trust to buy from had any available this year.

    I don't know anything about them sorry. But I thought I might offer a little tidbit of advice. First of all look up information about their natural habitat. What time of year they breed and what the temperatures are. You may be able to breed them naturally if your weather and season fit the bill in your area.
    I've been able to breed my native American toads, Wood frogs, and Yellow Spotted Salamanders. Just by cooling them during the winter and then putting them outside at night during their breeding season. They did the rest themselves.

  6. #5

    Default Re: Anaxyrus (Bufo) debilis (Weston green toad)

    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Those guys are so cute! I've been wanting some for sometime. But no one I trust to buy from had any available this year.

    I don't know anything about them sorry. But I thought I might offer a little tidbit of advice. First of all look up information about their natural habitat. What time of year they breed and what the temperatures are. You may be able to breed them naturally if your weather and season fit the bill in your area.
    I've been able to breed my native American toads, Wood frogs, and Yellow Spotted Salamanders. Just by cooling them during the winter and then putting them outside at night during their breeding season. They did the rest themselves.
    Thanks for that, good tip. My only worry with that is there found in arid areas and much warmer climate that here in the uk but then again the temp would drop over there and we do get warm summers sometime so I can not rule out it working. What cooling methods do you use?

  7. #6

    Default Re: Anaxyrus (Bufo) debilis (Weston green toad)

    Only quick phone pictures.





  8. #7
    Moderator Mentat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA USA
    Posts
    5,939
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: Anaxyrus (Bufo) debilis (Weston green toad)

    They look very cute !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

  9. #8
    100+ Post Member Psychotic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    West Virginia
    Age
    35
    Posts
    252
    Blog Entries
    2
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: Anaxyrus (Bufo) debilis (Weston green toad)

    I cool my animals in my boyfriend's basement because it is unheated and stays pretty cold during the winter.

  10. #9
    100+ Post Member GRABibus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Nationality
    [France]
    Location
    Near Paris, France
    Posts
    542
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: Anaxyrus (Bufo) debilis (Weston green toad)

    I have 2 females since 1 month and they are very funny.

    Be careful about humidity : as a lot of toads, it is much more safe to make a "dry" enclosure, with dry coco fiber for example.
    You can make 1 or 2 wet hidding places and some dry hidding places. Of course, a water bowl with dechlorinated water is necessary.

    A whole wet substrate can make them sick with mycosis.

    Global view of the enclosure : as you can see, the coco fiber is 100% dry, except on the right side where I wet teh substrate (Under the fake plants).
    Both hidding places are dry (Behind the wood bark and behind the little wood tunnel)

    1.0.0 Ceratophrys ornata CB
    0.1.0 Pleurodeles waltl CB
    1.0.0 Pyxicephalus adspersus CB



  11. #10
    Cap10Squirty
    Guest

    Default Re: Anaxyrus (Bufo) debilis (Weston green toad)

    Quote Originally Posted by GRABibus View Post
    I have 2 females since 1 month and they are very funny.

    Be careful about humidity : as a lot of toads, it is much more safe to make a "dry" enclosure, with dry coco fiber for example.
    You can make 1 or 2 wet hidding places and some dry hidding places. Of course, a water bowl with dechlorinated water is necessary.

    A whole wet substrate can make them sick with mycosis.

    Global view of the enclosure : as you can see, the coco fiber is 100% dry, except on the right side where I wet teh substrate (Under the fake plants).
    Both hidding places are dry (Behind the wood bark and behind the little wood tunnel)
    I like that setup GRABibus! I really like the plants, are they real or fake? If fake are they exo terra? I might be picking up some similar for my African bullfrog.

  12. #11
    100+ Post Member GRABibus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Nationality
    [France]
    Location
    Near Paris, France
    Posts
    542
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: Anaxyrus (Bufo) debilis (Weston green toad)

    Quote Originally Posted by Cap10Squirty View Post
    I like that setup GRABibus! I really like the plants, are they real or fake? If fake are they exo terra? I might be picking up some similar for my African bullfrog.
    100% fake from Exo Terra.
    I have some also in the 24"x18"x18" of my female Pyxie and I have 2 in the 12"x12"x12" of my Horned frog.
    1.0.0 Ceratophrys ornata CB
    0.1.0 Pleurodeles waltl CB
    1.0.0 Pyxicephalus adspersus CB



  13. #12

    Default Re: Anaxyrus (Bufo) debilis (Weston green toad)

    Thanks for the tips

    Do they have a Brumation period in the wild?

  14. #13
    maxQ
    Guest

    Default Re: Anaxyrus (Bufo) debilis (Weston green toad)

    Oh my Sophie, he is absolutely gorgeous

  15. #14

    Default Re: Anaxyrus (Bufo) debilis (Weston green toad)

    I tried breeding these...it didn't work out :/

    I'm currently trying to breed alvarius. I think they are just very sensitive to light, humidity, temp, etc. Personally, I think a lot of bufo toads need an extreme hibernation period. I know Colorado River Toads are underground for most of the year, and I'd assume the same is for Western Green Toads. It takes some experimentation, but unfortunately this involves quite a bit of risk to the toads. What people need to do is to experiment with some common toads, like American Toads.

  16. #15

    Default Re: Anaxyrus (Bufo) debilis (Weston green toad)

    Quote Originally Posted by n321 View Post
    I tried breeding these...it didn't work out :/

    I'm currently trying to breed alvarius. I think they are just very sensitive to light, humidity, temp, etc. Personally, I think a lot of bufo toads need an extreme hibernation period. I know Colorado River Toads are underground for most of the year, and I'd assume the same is for Western Green Toads. It takes some experimentation, but unfortunately this involves quite a bit of risk to the toads. What people need to do is to experiment with some common toads, like American Toads.
    I agree with this point. What method and time would you use to hibernate Weston greens? I'm trying to get as many opinions and info as I can before going ahead with it.

  17. #16
    100+ Post Member kueluck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    North Carolina
    Age
    61
    Posts
    1,712
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: Anaxyrus (Bufo) debilis (Weston green toad)

    Beautiful set-up.
    Quote Originally Posted by GRABibus View Post
    I have 2 females since 1 month and they are very funny.

    Be careful about humidity : as a lot of toads, it is much more safe to make a "dry" enclosure, with dry coco fiber for example.
    You can make 1 or 2 wet hidding places and some dry hidding places. Of course, a water bowl with dechlorinated water is necessary.

    A whole wet substrate can make them sick with mycosis.

    Global view of the enclosure : as you can see, the coco fiber is 100% dry, except on the right side where I wet teh substrate (Under the fake plants).
    Both hidding places are dry (Behind the wood bark and behind the little wood tunnel)

    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15


  18. #17
    100+ Post Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Ellsworth, Maine, United States
    Posts
    140
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: Anaxyrus (Bufo) debilis (Weston green toad)

    What are their personalities like. Are they nocturnal, do they like to hide alot?

  19. #18

    Default Anaxyrus (Bufo) debilis (Weston green toad)

    Quote Originally Posted by Silkmoth View Post
    What are their personalities like. Are they nocturnal, do they like to hide alot?
    There a really active species . They come to the front a feeding time. Always on the move.

  20. #19
    Moderator Mentat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA USA
    Posts
    5,939
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: Anaxyrus (Bufo) debilis (Weston green toad)

    Hi John! Do you have any updated photos of these guys ?
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

  21. #20

    Default Anaxyrus (Bufo) debilis (Weston green toad)



    From this morning. I need to dig out my proper camera !

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 21st, 2010, 04:29 AM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: October 20th, 2009, 06:13 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: July 28th, 2009, 04:34 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •