Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honey Baths and feedings.

NialR35

Default Honey Baths and feedings.

Hey guys,

My ornate has not gone to the bathroom in about 11-13 days AND his appetite has slowed down a lot, eating about every 6 days or so. Is this normal for them to eat around every 6-8 days?

Also do they stop eating until they actually poop? If so how often should I wait prior to doing a honey bath?

Last question: I think something that might help with digestion is raising the temp to 85F daytime(up from 83.5 ish that I normally set it to), which should be tolerable for my sub adult ornate ( around 4+"SVL). Is a constant 85F-86F daytime temp good enough for ornates that are almost full grown? What is the highest/safest it can get as far as cold/hot?

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Yeah do a honey bath. From my understanding these frogs will only eat enough to sustain themselves. My Mojo hasn't eaten in five days himself. I would keep the temps where they are and not change them. Just keep offering food, and if he is hungry he will eat. I'm thinking with winter comming some frogs slow down on thier eating habits too (not entirely sure).

NialR35

Default Re: Honey Baths and feedings.

Okay so I tried a bath two nights ago and another bath with honey last night and nothing. I don't think he has pooped in around 2 weeks because he is pretty big now and I would've seen it already. I did feel something hard on his right side so I'm sure he hasn't gone yet.

He also hasn't eaten as much in the last two weeks so I think some is off.

What should I do now? It seems like a possible impaction problem. Should I keep doing honey baths every day? I add a drop per every 4 oz, so should I add a bit more? Thanks for any other tips.

Hypnotic

I'm in the same situation, my baby is also not pooping, but don't be alarmed yet, keep doing frequent honey baths! I was advised to do these for two days straight, and then allow your frog to rest on the third day.
    I was also advised to stop feeding, it might make it worse if you keep offering food.
    Make sure your temps and humidity are perfect and keep your fingers crossed, that's what I'm doing. My little girl still pooped tiny chunks for the past 2 days, so I'm very hopefull, eventhough she has a bulge on the side and clearly isn't done yet.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Since the frog's appetite has slowed down and he isn't eating much then there may be no need to poop or the frog has and it was small and you missed it. Does the frog have a noticible hard lump?

NialR35

Yea, I did notice a hard lump on his right side I think. He does look like he needs to go, but its not that big. I think he might have swallowed a bit too much eco earth during one feeding. He has not eaten much at all during the past 2 weeks and I have not found poop in about almost 3 weeks and I will do another honey bath tonight to see what happens.

I offered food two nights ago and he was not interested. Temps and humidity have been consistent at 78/84 day and night with a 75-80% humidity at all times.

What should I keep doing? Is one drop of honey per oz okay?

Nationality
    [Canada]

Yes it is ok.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

If it comes down to the Honey baths not working you can administer a small dose of mineral oil to assist the frog in having a bowel movement, but it must be a small dose. Maybe 0.2 cc.
    Last edited by GrifTheGreat; October 26th, 2013 at 05:36 AM.

Mineral oil helps. I've used it for my little frog. I can help you with it if this is what you want to do.

NialR35

How do you do this Mineral oil procedure? And where do I get it and which one? Is this something you put in the water or the frog has to swallow it?

Also how many more honey bath attempts prior to doing this?

Is your frog eating anything? I injected worms. If not your going to have to kinda force feed.

You can get mineral oil from walgreens.

14. This member thanks danfrog for this post:

NialR35

Yea Dan, I'm going to need help with this if he does not go with honey baths. How often do you have to do the mineral oil thing and how exactly did you go about it?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by NialR35 View Post
    Yea Dan, I'm going to need help with this if he does not go with honey baths. How often do you have to do the mineral oil thing and how exactly did you go about it?
    It is to be administered orally. It has no taste so the frog will not try and spit it out. If you have a feeding syringe you can use that. You buy just plain mineral oil. Stores will sell it with the laxatives and stomach reliefe medications.

Only give a dose every 3 to 4 days. The oil will soften the blockage and you will be able to feel the stool soften inside the frog. Continue soaks while using the mineral oil.

If your frog is eating you can inject a nightcrawler. I used a turkey injector to inject the worm then feed it to my frog. I gave very small doses to my frog. You can proably give a 5cc dose for your ornate. If he isn't eating your going to have to open the frogs mouth and slowly administere the mineral oil so you don't choke your frog.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Can you massage o frog when it has an impaction? My question might be alittle dumb, but I kept thinking about it while reading this thread.
    Thanks Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by Silkmoth View Post
    Can you massage o frog when it has an impaction? My question might be alittle dumb, but I kept thinking about it while reading this thread.
    Thanks Robin.
    Yes. You can gently massage the frogs right side.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [Canada]

I read on frog.org, 1 tbsp. per 2 cups. I was thinking of using this for my pacman. Do I just drop it in the mister?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [Canada]

I'm going to try this tomorrow cause my baby albino hasn't eaten in almost 10 days. My room mate touched her belly, doesn't seem to be any hard lumps, just soft belly. She's just sitting there, but hops if you move stuff very near her.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I read on frog.org, 1 tbsp. per 2 cups. I was thinking of using this for my pacman. Do I just drop it in the mister?
    No, treatment requires a bath. Couple drops honey in 80F (27C) dechlorinated water solution to frogs chin level for 20 minutes is fine. Recommend using a small critter keeper or a plastic container with holed up lid to administer bath. After 20 minutes drain honey solution out and refill with plain dechlorinated water at same temperature for another 20 minute rinse. If frog poops on honey bath, clean and immediately go into rinse. If it poops during rinse, clean and transfer frog to it's enclosure water dish. Do not leave frog in pooped water for long. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

23. 2 members thank Mentat for this post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information