Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Honey Baths and feedings.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Honey Baths and feedings.

So, I have unfortunate tidings to report. While at work my room mate administered the honey bath, which seemed to perk up my little frog and she hopped around for a bit. When I got home though she was practically limp no hopping or resistance when I gently picked her up. She's pretty cool to the touch and her legs have basically given way beneath her. I'm pretty sad about this, as this is both the frogs I had sent to me and I looked forward to watching these two grow. They were from Samurai-Japan Reptiles, which I believed to be a very good breeder. Maybe they are, just had very bad luck. I know there are no guarantees on frogs, but my room mate encouraged me to talk to Jim. He knows I lost the last one and offered a deal if I buy from him again. But this time I just decided to contact the breeder, Yusuki from Samurai Reptiles. I just said I knew there was no guarantee but that I was sad by the loss of the first and illness of the second and asked if he could help me with a deal on another frog when he breeds his ornates. I wonder if I someone made a mistake. Salsa (the albino) had a night crawler piece slightly bigger than herself and I thought it may have been a cause. She was bigger for a while, but the last few days she was smaller like she passed it. I couldn't find a poop, or the crickets I put in the tank with her.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    So, I have unfortunate tidings to report. While at work my room mate administered the honey bath, which seemed to perk up my little frog and she hopped around for a bit. When I got home though she was practically limp no hopping or resistance when I gently picked her up. She's pretty cool to the touch and her legs have basically given way beneath her. I'm pretty sad about this, as this is both the frogs I had sent to me and I looked forward to watching these two grow. They were from Samurai-Japan Reptiles, which I believed to be a very good breeder. Maybe they are, just had very bad luck. I know there are no guarantees on frogs, but my room mate encouraged me to talk to Jim. He knows I lost the last one and offered a deal if I buy from him again. But this time I just decided to contact the breeder, Yusuki from Samurai Reptiles. I just said I knew there was no guarantee but that I was sad by the loss of the first and illness of the second and asked if he could help me with a deal on another frog when he breeds his ornates. I wonder if I someone made a mistake. Salsa (the albino) had a night crawler piece slightly bigger than herself and I thought it may have been a cause. She was bigger for a while, but the last few days she was smaller like she passed it. I couldn't find a poop, or the crickets I put in the tank with her.
    Night crawlers don't cause impaction. Something else was ailing the frog before death.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [Canada]

The only other thing on my end I can thing of is water. I use Exo Terra Aquatize Exo Terra : Aquatize / Terrarium Water Conditioner to quickly prepare water. I use the required amount of drops, sometimes a little bit more cause I don't boil the water. But maybe now I should boil it then cool it and add the drops.

Nationality
    [United States]

The only other thing on my end I can thing of is water. I use Exo Terra Aquatize Exo Terra : Aquatize / Terrarium Water Conditioner to quickly prepare water. I use the required amount of drops, sometimes a little bit more cause I don't boil the water. But maybe now I should boil it then cool it and add the drops.
    Did your roommate dechlorinate the water before administering the bath? Also did you give exact instructions on water temp?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [Canada]

I had the instructions open on this website on this thread. She warmed it and used a temperature gauge.

Sorry to say, but your albino didn't look too healthy in your other posts.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [Canada]

I'm not sure where to go from here. Yusuke is going to try and breed super red in the next 2-3 months but I'm wondering if I should stick to a local one. Local ones are just brown sometimes with green and a little yellow. They have fantasy ones that are green/brown design and rarely an all green one. Not so much a color selection but maybe a safer bet. Thanks for your honesty & help guys, unfortunately she has passed away and I'll bury her today.

NialR35

So after 4-5 honey baths, my ornate finally pooped. I guess it was impaction or maybe the fact that he was not eating much in the last couple of weeks it made him poop less....yet 3 weeks without poop is way too long. How often can they go without food though? Seems like my ornate is almost full grown size wise but eats about every 6-7 days or so....and the most he eats is 4-6 whole nightcrawlers per feeding. Is this okay?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by NialR35 View Post
    So after 4-5 honey baths, my ornate finally pooped. I guess it was impaction or maybe the fact that he was not eating much in the last couple of weeks it made him poop less....yet 3 weeks without poop is way too long. How often can they go without food though? Seems like my ornate is almost full grown size wise but eats about every 6-7 days or so....and the most he eats is 4-6 whole nightcrawlers per feeding. Is this okay?
    They can go a month with out eating if they slow their metabolism. I have a female that sometimes burrows down for a month and doesn't eat, but does not lose weight. As long as the frog doesn't lose weight it should not be a problem. I will say that if the frog eats 4 to 6 night crawlers once a week that is not anything to worry about.

11. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

NialR35

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    They can go a month with out eating if they slow their metabolism. I have a female that sometimes burrows down for a month and doesn't eat, but does not lose weight. As long as the frog doesn't lose weight it should not be a problem. I will say that if the frog eats 4 to 6 night crawlers once a week that is not anything to worry about.
    Thanks Grif! That sure gave me some peace of mind. He does look in shape and does not look slim. His color is still bright and eyes seem clear too. On average he eats around 4-5 per week, sometimes less and sometimes a bit more but during the last two weeks he did not eat much at all. Could his day temps be too high? I normally keep it around 84.5F day and 77-78F nighttime but I read that ornates like it cooler than cranwellis?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by NialR35 View Post
    Thanks Grif! That sure gave me some peace of mind. He does look in shape and does not look slim. His color is still bright and eyes seem clear too. On average he eats around 4-5 per week, sometimes less and sometimes a bit more but during the last two weeks he did not eat much at all. Could his day temps be too high? I normally keep it around 84.5F day and 77-78F nighttime but I read that ornates like it cooler than cranwellis?
    That's not too high, but you could lower it down to 80° to 82° and see how he reacts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information