Thread: Is it okay to have snails in a tank with ACF?

Default Is it okay to have snails in a tank with ACF?

My mom was wondering if it would be okay to put snails in a tank with a ACF in order to eat away any algae and such, or would my ACF eat them?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Is it okay to have snails in a tank with ACF?

I was also wondering this. I had been considering getting some mystery snails, but the last time I got one it ended up dying. I noticed the frog was nibbling on it a bit when it was FIRST introduced, but seemed to leave it alone. But who knows what those guys get up to when I'm left! They very easily could have been the culprit.
    I had also heard of frogs eating the eye stalks of the snails and tendrils.

I would wait for someone with more experience to hopefully show up!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I have always kept snails with everything mystery snails are harmless as long as you have proper filtration. Just watch that the frogs aren't actively attacking the snails ... Be prepared to set up a spare tank for the snails if they start being harmed.

angelabaker17

Quote Originally Posted by Elliriyanna View Post
    I have always kept snails with everything mystery snails are hparmless as long as you have proper filtration. Just watch that the frogs aren't actively attacking the snails ... Be prepared to set up a spare tank for the snails if they start being harmed.
    Hi, in my opinion it is not worth the risk. mystery snails have a trap door, which can be disastrous . if the frog swims by and startled the snail it could retract into its shell quickly, causing the frogs arm to be trapped inside. this has happened before but people do not learn, the frogs will usually lose third arm, or end up drowning .

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

If anything you could get ramshorn snails or any other snail without a trap door if you are worried about that. Ramshorn snails get about the size of a dime or smaller. They are naturally a red or brown in color. There are a couple different color morphs though. I used to breed blue ones and pink ones. But gave them all away when I gave my newts away.

I had a range from dark blue, purple/blue, light blue, and almost white. Some of them will be dark blue with lighter colored speckles. The same can be said for the pink ones. Some are more red and some are very light baby pink. I didn't take pictures of the pink ones before giving them away as they were new to my collection. Also if the pink and blue snails breed they will creature normal colored babies. So if you want to keep snails of more than one color, it's best to have a separate tank to breed each color in. If you only want one color then you can add them all to the tank and they will continue to breed and make more of the same colored babies.

I don't know about frogs but I know my newts loved to snack on the baby snails. Which helps keep the population down since the snails breed a lot.

Here is a picture of a couple of my blue ones:

Nationality
    [United States]

Do not bother with snails. Clawed frogs will eat small snails I am all but sure and trapdoor snails can be dangerous, they can recoil trapping a clawed frogs arm easily and like Ally stated there is documentation (even pictures) of this happening to frogs.

It's not worth the risk. I thought about adding ramshorn snails to my tank but I decided I do not want to introduce something possibly dangerous into the tank. Snails are known for carrying a lot of parasites that infect vertebrates.

Thread Information