Thread: Looking for more variety

Cap10Squirty

Default Looking for more variety

I'm looking into adding more variety to my frog and monitor lizard's diet. I currently have cultures of dubia and Madagascar roaches, wax worms, tobacco hornworms, superworms, and canadian nightcrawlers. I've asked in a previous thread about Pachnoda marginata larvae, but what I'm now finding is that they are not available in the USA.

What other invertebrates are there that would be decent feeders for larger frogs (ie. Pyxicephalus adspersus)?

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Cap10Squirty

Default Re: Looking for more variety

Would land snails be an option to look into?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi Garrett! Think you are already feeding a varied diet that exceeds what many members including myself do. Would not introduce snails into a pet frog diet unless it was an obligate predator of it, due to risk of introducing parasites or other pathogens. Have you thought of feeding it quality frog or fish pellets in a "sausage casing" with couple dubias or worms inside for movement? If interested, search the forum or YouTube; there was a video of a member feeding home made sausages to his Pixies. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Cap10Squirty

Homemade sausages haha ill look into that. I really enjoy culturing the feeders as much as feeding my frog, so any exotic feeders are fun in that its a challenge to keep as well as a reward to watch my frog tackle something different.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Here is link to thread Garrett: http://www.frogforum.net/african-bul...ed-method.html .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Cap10Squirty

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post

That guy has some awesome frogs (and toads). Very neat idea. I'll look into it and possibly try it. I don't have any pacman food, but if I come across some or a similar substitute I might try making sausages!

As far as snails go, don't you think that in the wild these frogs encounter snails here and there? They certainly wouldn't be difficult prey items...

Cap10Squirty

Alright, I found a snail farm that raises snails for pets. I've purchased 4 adult Helix aspersa snails. They are the largest land snails in the USA. I will be offering them as treats to my frog and monitor lizard in a few months.

Has anyone fed their African bullfrog snails? I don't know how mine will respond to one. I know my monitor lizard will gobble anything that moves and has enjoyed slugs in the past.

Thread Information