Thread: what species of frog could this be?

Default what species of frog could this be?

not sure were to post this. found 2 frogs climbing my window today. heard them at 3 AM. one called and i thought it was my frogor maybe it was idk LOL anyway i have them in a small tank and am trying to figure out what species they are so i can properly take care of them. I live in maine that should help narrow down the possablilites. i tried to figure it out. possibly narrowed down to 9 species. they have been climbing the walls of the tank so i was thinking tree frog since my wtf climbs the walls of his tank. the possible species are; American toad
    Gray treefrog
    Green frog
    Mink frog
    Northern leopard frog
    Pickerel frog
    Spring peeper
    Woodfrog A photo of the frog. did the best i could to get a clear picture. he would not sit still. Name:  SAM_3316.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  27.0 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: what species of frog could this be?

If it was climbing your window by actually sticking to the glass with rounded toepads, then it's either a Gray Treefrog or a Spring Peeper. A calling Gray makes a trilling sort of noise, a calling Peeper makes a peep . Either can call this time of year on a warm enough day.

They're easy enough to tell apart by looks in any case (sorry, I can't make much out from your picture). A peeper will have a vague cross shape on it's back, be coppery brownish to orange in colour and be tiny (not much over 1"). A Gray will range in colour from black to gray to white to green but will always have a light green patch under each eye and can be over 2" (though obviously the young are smaller).

Letting them go wouldn't be wrong either.

If its a peeper, let him go, it is illegal to take them from the wild. If it is a gray tree frog, do whatever you want, just don't harm him

Quote Originally Posted by COOCOpUcHoo View Post
    If its a peeper, let him go, it is illegal to take them from the wild. If it is a gray tree frog, do whatever you want, just don't harm him
    Do you have any links to these laws? I find it interesting that a state would make Grays legal to collect but not Peepers. I'd like to see what their laws are regarding other natives.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

It does sound like a strange law. But my state has some very strange laws regarding our wildlife. Such as if you have a native animal in captivity for 3 months you can not return it to the wild. Which I have disregarded before when I've found injured snakes and frogs and cared for them until they were healed.

Then they have recently changed our laws about the number of types of animals (amphibians and reptiles mainly) that you can collect. The eggs are now off limits on a lot of them. However if you have a pond on your property, all aquatic wildlife in your pond is considered your property and you can do with it as you wish. It gets pretty confusing.

To the OP. I can't make out what kind of frog you have taken a picture of. If it is a peeper it will remain very small and they tend to do very badly in captivity. Plus if you got a male, the calling is so loud it will drive you nuts!
    If it is a gray tree frog, you would have better luck as they usually take to captive life pretty well.

I'm sorry, this is a law the is for Illinois, i do no realize that, but I believe they are some what endangered here in Illinois.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    It does sound like a strange law. But my state has some very strange laws regarding our wildlife. Such as if you have a native animal in captivity for 3 months you can not return it to the wild. Which I have disregarded before when I've found injured snakes and frogs and cared for them until they were healed.

Then they have recently changed our laws about the number of types of animals (amphibians and reptiles mainly) that you can collect. The eggs are now off limits on a lot of them. However if you have a pond on your property, all aquatic wildlife in your pond is considered your property and you can do with it as you wish. It gets pretty confusing.
    Not returning it to the wild can make sense if it's something that can become habituated to humans or possibly pick up diseases if it's brought into a collection with some foreigners and the owners have poor quarantine habits. It's unilateral application won't always be sensible of course. The 'aquatic wildlife in your own pond' exemptions seems wacko. I just imagine someone sitting on a local and healthy population of something that's both regionally endangered and considered delicious by the property owner.

Quote Originally Posted by COOCOpUcHoo View Post
    I'm sorry, this is a law the is for Illinois, i do no realize that, but I believe they are some what endangered here in Illinois.
    No worries, I always find different laws interesting. And being endangered or on their way out in a region would likely explain the law.

Thread Information