Thread: Waxy Monkey (Phyllomedusa sauvagii) enclosure

Nationality
    [United States]

Question Waxy Monkey (Phyllomedusa sauvagii) enclosure

I just picked up a sauvagei yesterday at a reptile & amphibian show, but I had no idea they would have any there so I didn't have it's enclosure ready. As a result, I need some help from you good folks in answering some basic questions: What size enclosure for an animal about 1 1/4 inches long? Will a glass enclosure with mesh top work ok? How do I safely clean the glass to remove mineral spotting? What would you recommend for a very basic enclosure to begin with (lots of fake plants? ledges? substrate? branches? type and wattage of heat bulb?) and types and size of feeders that are readily available at most pet/reptile shops?

Thanks for the help!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Waxy Monkey (Phyllomedusa sauvagii) enclosure

An ExoTerra 18Lx18Wx24H will work for one, a 24in. cube will do for a couple or trio (if you plan to get more). These frogs require low humidity and good air circulation to avoid respiratory problems. Humidity between 40-50% will be OK. A day temperature between 80-85F with a basking spot of 95F will be required. It's difficult to predict what you will need without knowing type of enclosure and room temperature parameters. In case spraying is needed; use distilled water for spraying and it will not leave water marks (avoid spraying frog). Pretty much you will be setting an enclosure for a White's; just drier and with a basking spot as discussed previously.

The best set-up for them would be a cycled planted vivarium; but you already have frog in hand. My recommendation would be to set-up the frog in a hospital type enclosure for a 30 day quarantine period. A smaller enclosure with a silk branch and some branches, water dish and damp unprinted paper towels for substrate will work. During this period observe frog is eating well and get two fecals done two weeks apart.

In the meantime you can set-up the larger enclosure and let it cycle for 30 days or so. There is information on the vivarium section on how to do this.

For food feed gut loaded insects (carrots, lettuce, oatmeal) sized same as distance between frog's eyes. Also, follow dusting suggestions in here: http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...schedules.html . A small glass bowl around 2 in. in height will work fine to place feeders on and monitor if frog is eating

Next time recommend set-up enclosure first and then get the frog. It will make both yours and frog's life easier !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Forgive my ignorance, Carlos, but why does such a small frog, even when adult size, need so much space? I think I'm going to start with a 12x12x18 exo terra. The ambient temperature in my house is generally 72-77 degrees and about 30% humidity. I was wondering, since I only have one frog, what purpose does quarantining serve? Do you have any suggestions on how to get my already existing water marks off the glass? By the way, I totally agree about getting the enclosure set up first before getting the frog, but I have been searching reptile & amphibian shows for the last 5 years for a Sauvagii (I prefer to see the animal I'm buying first) and this was the first time there have been any - I just couldn't pass it up.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Lucky you for getting sauvagii, awesome frogs!
    How many frogs did you get?

1-1,5" are babies, 12x12x18 is sufficient for 3-4 while they're that size, however with waxes the bigger the better, for 2 -3 males I use 18x18x24, but for 2-3 females you should look for 24x18x24 exoterra.

Main thing to remember with waxes - forget whatever you know or read about tree frogs and think of waxy as chameleon and bearded dragon love children lol.
    Meaning, they need a basking spot of 90f, they need high % UVB ( I use 5), they must have a temp gradient, hot spot high up and colder down ( about 75-80 at the bottom, so they can cool off if they want to. For 18x18x24 I'd get 75W basking spot and blue night lamp and 26w 5% UVB. Remember they live high up in a trees basking on a sun all day.

I have 3 lamps on a controllers, day - basking spot and UVB, night- blue heating lamp.

very important thing is humidity - it never can go over 40 with ideal 20-30%.
    Very good ventilation is a must, exo Terra's work as long as you don't overcrowd the top, hard to do with 12x12x 18. Some people keep them in chameleon type all mesh cages.

Interior must include lots of brunches of different diameter on a difference levels, some foliage, more branches then foliage.

You should not have water deposits, as you don't need to spray them thus no mineral deposits. You can very lightly spray them once a week at night, they will hate it though, place a water dish so they can go soak at night.

Food - crickets, pieces of might crawlers, very occasional pinky for adults.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by chosen2030 View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, Carlos, but why does such a small frog, even when adult size, need so much space? I think I'm going to start with a 12x12x18 exo terra. The ambient temperature in my house is generally 72-77 degrees and about 30% humidity. I was wondering, since I only have one frog, what purpose does quarantining serve? Do you have any suggestions on how to get my already existing water marks off the glass? By the way, I totally agree about getting the enclosure set up first before getting the frog, but I have been searching reptile & amphibian shows for the last 5 years for a Sauvagii (I prefer to see the animal I'm buying first) and this was the first time there have been any - I just couldn't pass it up.
    Ok here is a problem, waxes need company of their own, they need to be in groups of at least 2-3. Temps too low, enclosure is fine, while he is a baby. And hey we all made impulse purchases, it us all good, but you need to set up properly.

Oh and if you already have water marks, does it mean you had someone in there before? Then you need to disinfect tank first.
    I'm getting rid of water marks this way - slightly spray water on a walls, and then scrape them with blade, then I use Zilla terrarium cleaner, after that tank looks like new.

In regards to the size of that a tank, Carlos is right, eventually you will need a big tank, especially if you have females, some people keep them in 7' tall tanks, that I would love to do too if only space allows. We're talking about 2,5-3" frogs if a male and 3-3,5" if female, both sexes have very long legs that they use for climbing, they need space to do so.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    Ok here is a problem, waxes need company of their own, they need to be in groups of at least 2-3. Temps too low, enclosure is fine, while he is a baby. And hey we all made impulse purchases, it us all good, but you need to set up properly.

Oh and if you already have water marks, does it mean you had someone in there before? Then you need to disinfect tank first.
    I'm getting rid of water marks this way - slightly spray water on a walls, and then scrape them with blade, then I use Zilla terrarium cleaner, after that tank looks like new.
    Please explain - this is honestly the first time I've heard they need to be kept in groups. Is this a really a must or is it more what would be optimal? Yes, the tank used to be home to a gargoyle gecko.

Nationality
    [Canada]

They are communal, they need company of their own, the more the better. Based on experience I have to say it is a must, depending on a frog itself, some can take it easier, some harder, but you will miss on all their interaction, cb are taking it easier usually. I must also say frogs who can take it harder you will notice being sad all the time, not as green, but dull olive colour, eventually sitting on a floor of a tank and die for no apparent reason.

You have to disinfect your tank if you had garg in there, get wipe off, spray it , wash really well after, then scrape water marks as I described and use that zilla cleaner, it is awesome. That is how I clean all tanks once a month.

Nationality
    [United States]

They are communal, they need company of their own, the more the better. Based on experience I have to say it is a must, depending on a frog itself, some can take it easier, some harder, but you will miss on all their interaction, cb are taking it easier usually. I must also say frogs who can take it harder you will notice being sad all the time, not as green, but dull olive colour, eventually sitting on a floor of a tank and die for no apparent reason.
    If that's the case, that sucks. It may be a while before I can get 2 companions for him/her. On the positive side, I only buy captive bred. Do waxies have a breeding season?

Nationality
    [United States]

Name:  IMG_7087.jpg
Views: 943
Size:  77.5 KBName:  IMG_7086.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  106.4 KB Well, this is the enclosure I came up with on such a short time frame. Hopefully it meets all of his/her requirements.

Nationality
    [United States]

I remove stubborn water spots (on empty tank) by dabbing with full strength vinegar on sponge or paper towel and after a minute, removing with aquarium algae scraper. Recommend follow Lija's advice since she keeps these species. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [Canada]

Name:  IMG_7087.jpg
Views: 943
Size:  77.5 KBName:  IMG_7086.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  106.4 KB Well, this is the enclosure I came up with on such a short time frame. Hopefully it meets all of his/her requirements.

Will never get tired of seeing waxy, as much as I love fat frogs, waxes are my favourite by far yours is so pretty, would you please take a pic of his face sideways, it seems from that angle you have a boy here.

your tank is fine, I'd add a bit more brunches on top of different diameter, so a frog had a choice of sitting on different sized branches, it helps them to exercise their grip. Also since they almost always will sit in a highest spot, you need to make different things up there.

You have UVB, do you?

Oh and if you could get just one more from the same breeder you will be fine. Yes they do have a breeding season, it is a long and very particular process to get them here, especially for females.

Nationality
    [United States]

You have UVB, don't you?

Oh and if you could get just one more from the same breeder you will be fine. Yes they do have a breeding season, it is a long and very particular process to get them here, especially for females.
    I do have a UVB light, but I was wondering if it's strong enough. Should I have 2.0, 5.0 or 10.0? Unfortunately, the breeder I got him from is sold out.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Sorry haven't seen it. For 12x tall tank you can use 2uvb, off bigger you need 5.
    Watch the guy, if he is happy he is gonna be bright green, if olive/dull he is unhappy.

Nationality
    [United States]

Food - crickets, pieces of night crawlers, very occasional pinky for adults.
    How exactly do I feed it crickets? I've tried tong feeding, but he doesn't seem interested, which is concerning me since it's been almost a week since he's eaten. Otherwise he is bright green and seems to be doing well. Will he just come down to ground level and hunt for them if I leave them in his enclosure? Are there any other worms besides night crawlers that you would recommend (e.g. wax worms, phoenix worms - black soldier fly larvae, etc.)? And how should worms be fed to him?

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi chosen2030,
    Not only are you very luck to have such a beautiful frog ( congratulations !! ) , you are very luck Lija was around to help.
    She is an expert for our waxy keepers !
    Enjoy him, Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

17. This member thanks flybyferns for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

How exactly do I feed it crickets? I've tried tong feeding, but he doesn't seem interested, which is concerning me since it's been almost a week since he's eaten. Otherwise he is bright green and seems to be doing well. Will he just come down to ground level and hunt for them if I leave them in his enclosure? Are there any other worms besides night crawlers that you would recommend (e.g. wax worms, phoenix worms - black soldier fly larvae, etc.)? And how should worms be fed to him?
    He is probably scared of tong feeding if he never been fed like that. Glass bowl trick usually works, but none of my waxes were able to really understand what is up lol I figured they just are not too smart. I would do not see through bowl instead, something high and a bit wide, so a frog can reach inside and crickets won't be able to get out. You can do same for worms, at night they go hunt, that is why you need enclosure so big in comparison to a frog, they need to be able to stretch their legs. Interesting that they do that for a very short time and when in am they go to exactly same place they were before making illusion they haven't moved at all, add to that a fact that they are very very lazy and not-so-smart lol
    If your waxy is still not really getting bowl thing, you can just throw some crickets in a tank to roam free. Keep in mind he might be still adjusting, but if he is happy and bright that us probably not the case.
    Actually I think you should just throw crickets inside for now and see how it'll go. Was looking for the awesome video I saw on you tube, didn't find yet, but that one shows the bowl I was talking about
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tWVGKLA2xdU

edit - found the video lol gosh it is so funny even after I don't know how many times I've seen it.
    http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...es-eating.html

Default Waxy Monkey (Phyllomedusa sauvagii) enclosure

ive got 3 cbb babies. toss in the crickets and wait till the lights go out. they're awesome hunters. heres a vid of mine hunting and climbing over each other lol. mine wont really tong feed either. i think they dont see very well with the lights on. once its night their eyes dilate like crazy and watch everything that moves. waxies are awesome and hilarious frogs.

http://youtu.be/72xcGb-7ADs

Thread Information