Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terrarium Stands?

BerDip

Default Terrarium Stands?

I'm trying to find some info on terrarium stands. Whats everyone using? Preferences on what kind of stand to use? I'm needing a stand for a 18x18x24 exo terra tank that houses an aquatic bottom, so i need something that can handle some weight. Is there a thread on here that has that info or can some peoples post some pics or build ideas or suggestions? Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

slimninj4

Default Re: Terrarium Stands?

I use the exoterra table stand for the 18x18. Not sure about water but it it is nice as it secures the tank on the table with metal rods on the bottom.

BerDip

Quote Originally Posted by slimninj4 View Post
    I use the exoterra table stand for the 18x18. Not sure about water but it it is nice as it secures the tank on the table with metal rods on the bottom.
    So you use the large or medium stand then? I know they offer like 4 sizes or so. i was worried that the tank would just fit and it wouldnt work right depending on what size i got. Do you have a picture you'ed be willing to share?

4 or 6 cinder blocks (about $1.50 each at most building supply stores). a piece of plywood cut to the tanks dimensions and a dollar store table cloth. now you have a stand that will hold anything you throw at it for less than $20
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

maxQ

I use what ever I can find that looks good, I shop Goodwill all the time, I recently just found a Music CD Cabinet with two door on hinges on each side for Frog Storage, and it stands at the perfect height, its perfect for my 24 X 24 Green Tree Frog Viv and looks great, total price of cabinet.......................$9.00 I'll use anything I can make, build or find cheep.

Default Terrarium Stands?

I am like max, I have used nightstands, end tables. If they were solidly built and made with wood, not particleboard, I have used it lol
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

BerDip

Well i would do the cheap deal but i dont have a rediculous amount of frogs, so i can afford to get something a little nicer than cinderblocks lol.

This is what you want then. The Exo Terra 18x18 stand. It's made for that terrarium. Fits perfectly, and has pegs on the top to keep the terrarium from sliding off, if that would be a concern.

slimninj4

Voodoo beat me to the pic. I have the same one for my 18x18. Below is the rods that are used to secure it a bit on the table.

Name:  photo 2(1).jpg
Views: 1930
Size:  28.3 KB

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

My take on stands is to avoid particle board items because they soak up water like a sponge and it will ruin them. A few inches of water will not add much weight compared to an aquarium. As an example, 4 inches of water will come to around 6 gallons with a weight of 50 pounds or less depending if using a false bottom or lots of decor.

Like Bill and Gary suggested; a nice used solid night stand or end table made of real wood will work fine as long as top is same size or larger than enclosure base. It's very important the corners of enclosure are supported because that is where most weight will be at.

For regular aquarium sized enclosures, I use the Slated Pine Wood stands made by All Glass and Perfecto. They are extremely sturdy, can handle water splashes, and their open bottom design provides bottom access to drilled enclosures or those with built in drains. The light oak version look well with most decor; but they also come in red oak and black too.

If you have several enclosures and do not mind the industrial look; think the chromed or similar wire shelving units by Trinity are the way to go. They come in 18 in. (Amazon & Cosco sells them for $100) and 24 in. (same for $220) and can hold many enclosures since they are built to industrial standards. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

BerDip

Well those pictures really helped. I don't think it would hurt to give it a shot. I'll give a review on how it goes.

BerDip

I am worried about the quality of the stand by exo terra. I hope its not particle board, but we will see. I might get a size bigger on the stand so the brunt of the weight isn't on the edges. Im wanting to put my tank in a corner kinda catty cornered, so the table cant be too wide. I didn't have any luck finding a corner desk that was worth a damn. I like those wire racks for multiple cages. I just thought I'd ask what everyone else was using, guess i should have asked this in general discussion, lol. I honestly thought someone had already posted a thread about it somewhere and i could just read it. But i really appreciate everyones input and pictures!

BerDip

Those pegs look pretty neat. What is the stand made of? it kinda looks like cheap lamanent and particle board. Does it warp any? How does it hold up to water?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by BerDip View Post
    Those pegs look pretty neat. What is the stand made of? it kinda looks like cheap lamanent and particle board. Does it warp any? How does it hold up to water?
    Seen them in stores and they are made of particle board covered in a black surfaced finish lamination. Also, they seem to have a very tall "unstable" look to me with a tall enclosure on top .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

BerDip

well hell.... thats disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Seen them in stores and they are made of particle board covered in a black surfaced finish lamination. Also, they seem to have a very tall "unstable" look to me with a tall enclosure on top .

CStillings82

Why not make your own? The one I have is pretty basic but fits the bill just fine. Doesn't take much time to build. Frame is just 2x4. All wood is pine and it was finished with the wood paneling you can get at any hardware store. If you build your own you can design hinged cabinet space to fit whatever you want and make it as sturdy as necessary.
    Name:  2013-10-09 13.23.56.jpg
Views: 2274
Size:  57.3 KB

BerDip

Wow good job. That looks like it would fit the bill. You just used molding around the top and bottom? And plywood across the top or is that the inch thick?

Quote Originally Posted by CStillings82 View Post
    Why not make your own? The one I have is pretty basic but fits the bill just fine. Doesn't take much time to build. Frame is just 2x4. All wood is pine and it was finished with the wood paneling you can get at any hardware store. If you build your own you can design hinged cabinet space to fit whatever you want and make it as sturdy as necessary.
    Name:  2013-10-09 13.23.56.jpg
Views: 2274
Size:  57.3 KB

CStillings82

Thats all it is. As long as the frame is sturdy the rest is mostly aesthetic. The top, is reinforced underneath and just 1/2" ply.

CStillings82

And I agree that a lot of the pre-fab stands seem cheap. They probably work just fine and aren't as cheap as they seem...but I felt they were overpriced for what they are.

BerDip

For sure they are. I just figured exo terra would make something to suit their terrariums. Those exo terra stands probably suit the smaller tanks just fine. you can find those stands for a fair price if you shop around a bit. But i agree that building your own is the best thing. I just dont have the tools to do it, il have to measure out everything i need and have it pre cut.. but im liking the sound of that pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by CStillings82 View Post
    And I agree that a lot of the pre-fab stands seem cheap. They probably work just fine and aren't as cheap as they seem...but I felt they were overpriced for what they are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information