Thread: Something is off...

Default Something is off...

Hey everyone,

I may just be overreacting, but something has seemed off about one of my juvenile Litoria aurea. I can't quite pinpoint it, but he seems to have a duller colour and is a little lethargic. Didn't eat today when I put fruit flies in the enclosure either. There may be nothing wrong, but I've put him in a hospital tank so I can keep a close eye on him over the next few days. This particular frog is called Ned, and he had severe MBD/ calcium deficiency a couple of months back but he recovered.

SVL is approximately 1"

1. Size of enclosure: Exo-Terra Mini Tall. 30x30x45 cm/ 12x12x18 inches.
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences: Six juvenile Litoria aurea, ranging from 2-4cm each.
    3. Humidity: Kept between 70-80%.
    4. Temperature: 25C, fluctuates higher and lower by a few degrees.
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish: De-chlorinated tap water.
    6. Materials used for substrate: Layer of large gravel for drainage, and a layer of sphagnum moss.
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials. Three Exo-Terra artificial plants. One has a resin rocky base, one is silk and the other is soft plastic. Exo-Terra foam background and one side is covered by brown paper. One Exo-Terra resin naturalistic water dish, and a larger hard, clear plastic container as a swimming area. Plastic is hard, clear polystyrene, which is suitable for food. I assumed since it can be used to hold food it would have a low risk of leaching chemicals.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the vivarium? Sphagnum moss was heated to boiling point, plants were rinsed well in de-chlorinated water.
    8. Main food source: Fruit flies caught from the compost heap outside. From what I know it is pest/rodent proof. Occasionally fed store-bought wingless fruit flies, but they are prohibitively expensive.
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (How often)? Calcium+ D3 every second feeding approximately. I try to feed them every day, but sometimes they may go a day without food.
    10. Lighting: 40W desk lamp for heat. I am trying to locate a reasonably priced UVB lamp.
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure? 40W desk lamp.
    12. When is the last time he/she ate? Two or three days ago
    13. Have you found poop lately? Yes, but unsure if it’s from the other five frogs or Ned.
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. How old is the frog?
    Hard to say, one of them morphed at Easter 2013. The others are a little bigger, so I would guess they morphed a few months earlier.
    16. How long have you owned him/her? One since March 2013, the other five since approximately June.
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred? Hard to say. Bought from a pet store, but I am not sure where they came from. Guessing captive bred.
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    19. How often the frog is handled?
    At the moment, every day for only a few seconds in order to place into a feeding tank; my terrarium is not fruit-fly proof and I find this method more efficient. Makes it easier to monitor which frogs are getting food.
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area? Medium traffic, on the desk in my room.
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc): Daily poop removal and water changes. Once a week I take all the moss out and remove excess moisture, and siphon out dirty water at the bottom of the tank beneath the gravel drainage layer.

Thank you!

If dragons were real I'd totally be in on that...
    1 German Shepherd X- Badger

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Something is off...

Hi Gabby! For now, try to observe him at hospital tank and get him to eat. Also, keep a look out for poop and see if it's normal. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Default Re: Something is off...

Thanks Carlos I've removed two small poops from his enclosure. They're soft but well formed. I'm currently looking closely at one of the poops and there are pieces of what I suspect to be undigested fruit fly, but can you confirm for me what worms would look like and what symptoms they may present? I need to know whether I have to separate all six frogs and keep them under quarantine conditions as well.

*IN OTHER NEWS* I've acquired a digital copy of Amphibian Medicine and Captive Husbandry... It should be interesting to see what this behemoth of a book can teach me

If dragons were real I'd totally be in on that...
    1 German Shepherd X- Badger

Thread Information