Thread: Grey tree frog aggression ???

frog

Question Grey tree frog aggression ???

Hi, is there any chance wild caught Grey tree frogs have aggression/territory issues towards each other? I have had one male Grey in a 5 gal tank for about a year now and wanted to put another new wild caught male in the same tank; is there any concerns in doing this?

The new Grey is in a separate tank now for observation (sickness/health concerns).What is a good time for observation before Introducing a new frog

Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

hyla

Default Re: Grey tree frog aggression ???

I say keep them separated maybe 2 - 3 weeks? Also be sure to have the new frog checked for parasites in this time and treat accordingly. If the frogs are around the same size I dont think they will have a problem with aggression however I feel a 5 gal tank may be too small for the two of them.

hyla

Note: Paul from NW Amphibian Rescue says 30 days for quarantine time

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Definitely quarantine. These frogs are not aggressive.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

scribbles

A 5 gallon tank is too small for both frogs.

HerpNwny14

im so jealous of all u that can just go and catch grey tree frogs....grrrr

hyla

It will happen when you arent trying

Paul Rust

Quote Originally Posted by hyla View Post
    I say keep them separated maybe 2 - 3 weeks? Also be sure to have the new frog checked for parasites in this time and treat accordingly. If the frogs are around the same size I dont think they will have a problem with aggression however I feel a 5 gal tank may be too small for the two of them.
    I have nothing to say. Good advice Kristy.

HerpNwny14

it sux grays r native to buffalo,ny but all my herping adventures ive never even heard or seen a grey...tons of peepers and chorus frogs though

frog

I just posted something on catching grays or other frogs. See the post in finding wild grays

Hope this helps you.

Rae

Quote Originally Posted by frog View Post
    I just posted something on catching grays or other frogs. See the post in finding wild grays

Hope this helps you.

Oh I so want to read this... do u have a link?

charlamanda

Quote Originally Posted by HerpNwny14 View Post
    im so jealous of all u that can just go and catch grey tree frogs....grrrr
    I see your in Buffalo,NY, Don't you have then there? I am so overwhelmed with them it's rediculous. You could always visit my community, there's a motel etc. and a few may hitch a ride home...you never know!LOL

charlamanda

My best advise is to have a pool, baby pool or like me a 18' thats just lying on the ground with rain water and leaves. The Gray's found mine fairly quickly and it's been 4 summers now.
    Every year they come to my pool and chorus their little hearts out and deposit a few presents for me to care for, lousy parental skills if you ask me!!LOL Odd thing is that I live in a community with 3 lakes, 1 lg and 2 sm, vernal pools and swamps up the ying yang, but they really like my pool. When they are in the pool you don't hear any others in the forest calling at all for miles and miles. They are all in MY pool and boy let me tell you it's loud, loud, loud. Through out the day, during their chorusing, they will call occasionally during the day to one another and you can hear them move closer and closer the next time they..call, then I can see them on the fence, hopping across the lawn, etc., to get to the pool for the evening and well into the morning too.
    Some of the adults stay in my yard permanently. One stays by my shed and the other is tucked away under my furniture cousions on my deck. When it's nice out, since they have stopped chorusing, they climb up the side of the house, and the one by the shed hops across my deck, to get to my bug zapper where they can feast. Several more hang around the front light for bugs. However, the last few weeks I haven't seen then as often, I am guess that they, at some point,do stop eating before they hibernate.
    It's been so fun and interesting watching them for so long, I can even mimic their call and they will respond to me too. When they are in the pool, in full swing, I can stand in the pool with them, there is a small dry patch, and they let my chorus with them and don't seem to be fearful of me at all. I chirped back and forth with one on my fence one night, about 1 foot away, for 15 minutes or so or until I got tired. They truely don't seem to be afraid of met if someone else even gets close to the pool, 20-30 feet, they will stop! I have no explanation of this at all, do I look like a frog? LOL
    BTW. I don't think I like my avatar looking back at me. I thought it would be nice to see who your talking to,but I am going to switch it, it's actually making me self concious. LOL
    Bam I did't read down far enough for your answer, but like I said your not far from me, only a couple of hours.

Greenlove

Frog-----Please don't put ANY tree frog in a 5 gallon. These frogs may not show any aggression towards each other, but they will not be happy if they can't climb and jump. I think I heard that Petco has a sale this month, one dollar per gallon. So, a twenty gallon high tank for 20 bucks.

charlamanda

I have 10 froglets in a 33 gal and they all seem content, so far, but I have 5 good size plants and a back up 40 gal. They seem to gravitate to the top strap or under the light. They are lazy creature for sure, but they may go bonkers when the light go out for the night.
    I also have 3 very very small froglets in a 10 gal, but a 5 gal seems even small for them!
    You could also try craigslist I checked there and I found a lot of people getting rid of all size tanks, from 10 gal to 200 gal, for very reasonable prices.

charlamanda

Oh 1 more thing, they seem to be very passive too, even when they are im their feeding container together I have never seen any type of aggressiveness at all. They are all very calm and well mannered. LOL

Thread Information