Thread: what to feed my new little frog

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    katriceg

Default what to feed my new little frog

I need help a couple days ago I walked into my room and out hopped a little frog I live in the basement of my moms house and I don't know how he got in there but rite now I have him in a little baby food jar with air hole with a lil water in the bottom I have no idea what to feed him or even how to take care of him I have a four year old nephew that wants to keep him or her but its so little I think its going to die if I don't figure out how to take care of it soon some one please help p.s. I looked it up online and the only thing I could find out was that its a Columbian spotted frog found in southeren Idaho ...................... so like I said any info would help thanks

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: what to feed my new little frog

Hello and welcome to FF! Have no experience keeping CSFs; but most USA Rana sp. care is similar. Here is a care article for the Leopard Frog you can use as a guideline: Frog Forum - Leopard Frog Care - Rana pipiens (Schreber, 1782) and R. sphenocephala (1886). A 20L aquarium should work for frog all the way to adult size. Article recommends 50-50 land and water; but I prefer around 30-70 because Rana's love being in water.

Main thing is to use dechlorinated tap water; gut load crickets with carrots; lettuce and oats 24-48 hours before feeding the frog; and size insects (i.e. crickets or Dubia roaches) same as distance between frogs eyes. Food should be supplemented with reptile CA/D3 2X and vitamins 1X weekly on different days with skip day in between for a daily fed baby. A sample schedule would be: Mon & Fri CA/D3 and Wed Vitamins. If for a larger juvenile eating every other day, just space out the supplements to follow a similar rotation. Good luck and feel free to ask any questions !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information