Thread: My Frog Has A Swollen Throat?????

mmarcet

Default My Frog Has A Swollen Throat?????

I am a new frog owner. I got a baby white's tree frog about two weeks ago. I mist the cage ever day to maintain proper humidity and use a basking lamp, clean and change the water bowl daily using tap water and the rep solution, feed the frog 5 crickets nearly every day powdered in calcium, and try to monitor his activity at night. The frog seems to be pretty active and has a good appetite, eating about 3-5 crickets. Oh and he seems to use the bathroom every night (usually in his water dish). Since I got the frog I have noticed that he has a swollen throat and most of the time he sleeps in the bottom tunnel of the branch thing I put in the tank (if he isn't sleeping there then he is in the middle part of the branch). I'm not sure if this stuff is normal since I am new to all of it, so any advise would be great.

Here are two pictures of my froggy...
    #1. the day I got it
    #2. a close up of the throat

Anything helps!!! Also, I am unsure of the gender... so if you have any hints for finding this out that would be awesome!!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: My Frog Has A Swollen Throat?????

Hello and welcome to FF! Not sure what's going on with the throat and if it's a problem; so please answer these questions to try and identify any possible issues. Thank you !

“Trouble in the Frog Enclosure”
    The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Size of enclosure
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences
    3. Humidity
    4. Temperature
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6. Materials used for substrate
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    10. Lighting
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12. When is the last time he/she ate
    13. Have you found poop lately
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. How old is the frog
    16. How long have you owned him/her
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    19. How often the frog is handled
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)

by Lynn(Flybyferns) and GrifTheGreat.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

mmarcet

1. Size of enclosure 10 gal.
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences Just the one white's tree frog
    3. Humidity I'm not exactly sure of the numbers, but I mist the cage daily and have a basking lamp on top of the tank
    4. Temperature "
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish For both things I use tap water with the reptisafe solution
    6. Materials used for substrate I used the brick of coconut shell shavings
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials. I used fake plants, terrarium moss, and a fake branch that it can climb around on
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv. I rinsed it all off with treated tap water.
    8. Main food source I feed it somewhere between 3-5 crickets daily powdered with calcium and vitamin D3 (Fluker's brand)
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often) "
    10. Lighting basking lamp and my bedroom lights
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure mist the tank daily and basking lamp
    12. When is the last time he/she ate Two nights ago (only because I didn't feed it last night since i feed it 6 the day before)
    13. Have you found poop lately pretty much every night (its usually in the water bowl)
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine) I put one at the bottom
    15. How old is the frog not exactly sure but it is just a baby
    16. How long have you owned him/her for about 2 weeks now
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred captive bred (bought it through petco)
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats I haven't varied the diet yet (that would be my next question... what can i give it for a little weekly treat??)
    19. How often the frog is handled I have maybe picked it up 3 times in the 2 weeks span... its so hard to resist picking it up, but im working on limiting that
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area It is located in my bed room... me and my sister are constintly in and out all day
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc I make sure to clean the water bowl every day and wipe down all the other stuff inside (leads me to another question... how often should I completely change the substrate?) if the frog poops where I can see it, I clean it out each time

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME Attachment 60707

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks for answers. First off, recommend you read their care article: Frog Forum - White's Tree Frog Care - Litoria caerulea . You need to know the cage parameters to ensure can control them; so a digital gauge like the ExoTerra's Combo is paramount to your frog's health. Day temp is 85F with up to a 10F drop at night. Ventilation is more important than humidity and as long as you reach 55-65% it should be OK. For stress reduction, recommend all enclosure sides but front are covered. Can use aquarium background or any paper you like.

A 10G tank is not the best enclosure for a white's tree frog. They grow large and require at least 24 in. height enclosure. You can turn the 10G on it's end as a short term fix to issue. Here is some info on it: Frog Forum - Building Dart Frog Terrariums / Tropical Terrarium Construction. The subtrate can be shredded coco (Plantation Soil or EcoEarth) but would avoid the nuggets due to impaction risk. Can spot clean daily and replace whole thing monthly. Other options are damp unprinted paper towels or even damp clean rags cut to bottom size and either of those requires daily changes.

Insects should be same size as distance between frog's eyes to avoid impaction. For a baby, dust CA/D3 2X and vitamins 1X weekly on different days with skip day in between. For treat can feed similar sized Dubia roaches. Gut load all insects with carrots, lettuce, and oats 24-48 hours before feeding. Please do keep us informed how things go, good luck !

6. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

mmarcet

Thank you, I will definitely begin making improvements to this stuff as soon as possible. Do you think this stuff is causing the throat problem?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default My Frog Has A Swollen Throat?????

Mentat is right on and has given you great advice. The pictures are pretty small and hard to see. Is the whole chin white? Or are there any wounds or discolorations?
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by mmarcet View Post
    Thank you, I will definitely begin making improvements to this stuff as soon as possible. Do you think this stuff is causing the throat problem?
    Same as Heather, I'm having problems making a determination from pics. Can see the fold under throat but pic is fuzzy. The items I mentioned will improve frog's living condition, overall health and immunity.

A swelling could be caused by an infection; but frog is eating well and can tell from the fold on the supraorbital ridge (above eye) it's starting to even get a bit fat. Has the "swelling" changed at all the 2 weeks you had frog?

You should always wash hands well and rinse in dechlorinated water before handling frog. An option is to use disposable gloves rinsed in dechlorinated water. Also, see two white spots on the pics, one near mouth and a second one near back leg. Are those just a white coloration in skin or is there any bumps or growth associated with them. Thank you !

Thread Information