Thread: New here, New to Frogs!

WalkerBait

Arrow New here, New to Frogs!

Thought I should post an introduction!
    I'm Tara, I'm from Canada, and I'm really new to frog keeping.
    I just got an albino pacman frog other day. Olaf is settling in pretty well. He is putting up with all my fussing and adjusting of his home without getting too freaked out.
    I also have 12 parrots and most of them are rescues. I'm very used to birds, not amphibians! However, I'm learning and doing my research and am determined to become knowledgeable.

So.. Hi! I'm glad I found this forum!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New here, New to Frogs!

Hello and welcome to FF Tara! Wow, that's a lot of parrots . Here is a good care article for your frog: Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Kaleen

Hello and Welcome! Do most of your parrots talk or mimic? Every time I go in to the exotic pet shop by my house to get feeders, and the parrot, Maui, starts talking it makes me laugh so hard. How fun and loud is your house, I bet it gets pretty wild with 12 parrots?!

100+ Post Member lindsayshocking's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    West Sacramento, California, United States
    Blog Entries

Welcome! Pacman frogs are great starter frogs. I think you will have tons of fun with your new baby. But beware--frogs are addicting. You may find yourself with many more frogs in the future XD

And parrots? I am jealous. I hope to get one someday. What kind do you have?

Nationality
    [Australia]

Hello and welcome to the forum love parrots so cheeky!
    ~ Australian frogs Gotta love them

WalkerBait

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Pics say a thousand words, so here's some of my brats. My two African Greys talk, not just mimic. My oldest is chloe, she's like 22 years old (female Grey) and she even giggles when she finds something funny! Most of my birds are rescues.

^Chloe

Trooper

Maui^

Nenna

Solo (Crimson Rosella)

Cricket

^Snow (White indian ringneck)

^Jasper

Donovan

Benny

Parrots get into everrryyyything. Chewed floors, walls, cords, remotes, headphones. They aren't meant to be in cages but when you let them out as I do, watch out for your things!

Nationality
    [United States]

Wow your parrots are gorgeous, my favorites are Solo and Snow !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Default New here, New to Frogs!

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your first frog!

Your birds are beautiful!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

They are all so gorgeous! I love them! Especially the ringnecks!

I was thinking about possibly getting a ringneck in the future...are they a decent starter parrot? Do they have docile personalities?

You came here to talk about frogs, and here I am asking you quesitons about parrots :P

WalkerBait

Lindsay - Ringnecks have to be handfed and handled all the time to be friendly. The two I have were really not handled often and now just shriek and fly away when I get too close. Ringnecks are LOUD. They are the loudest of all my small birds.
    They are boisterous. They aren't the calmest species, that's for sure.

I'd suggest youtube searching for various species to find out more how they behave. Look up species like Quakers (one of my fave species for a big bird personality in a small-medium bird size) or Senegals. Also, depending on where you reside, there are tons of parrots needing homes on sites like kijiji and craigslist.Adopting a bird means it has established personality and habits, which can be equally as fun and rewarding as challenging.

Whatever you decide, remember that birds are not happy at ALL in cages 24/7, so be prepared to provide upwards of four hours of supervised out of cage time. They are very social creatures that, without another bird as a friend, will rely entirely on you to provide them with entertainment.

Basically, parrots are perpetual 2 year olds and most will end up destructing the home or themselves or merely living shortened, boring lives if their needs are not met.

"Starter" parrot to me is kinda silly though.I say, if you have the time and have done all the research (and youtube is a great way to find out what different species act / vocalize like..) get the species of bird that most suits your lifestyle.

ETA sorry my post had horrid grammar.. I'm tired. lol

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

We recently moved into a house which gives us a lot more space, so allowing them the freedom to fly about isn't a big issue. I am just in the beginning stages of the research right now, but I always love to hear the input of others. I will definitely check out Quakers and Senegals as well. If I could adopt that would be ideal, because I like the idea of providing someone a home who truly needs it.

Thank you for the response!

Thread Information