Thread: When to move my baby Gray's into their enclosure + side question about feeding vitamins to froglets

Gentlemangorath

Default When to move my baby Gray's into their enclosure + side question about feeding vitamins to froglets

So I'm happy to say that I've kept at it despite a bunch of setbacks and failures, and currently have 4 growing Gray Tree Frogs which are doing well. This includes the one that I think may have had rub nose, but I'm still unsure (it went away in time, maybe it was just something stuck on his nose afterall), but that's just a quick update for anyone who read that. Anyway, I have the froglets set up 1 in a medium sized pet carrier with a plastic pothos trimming along with a water dish for soaking/humidity. This froglet is the biggest and oldest so far, as I've had him from an original bunch that's about 2 months old and unfortunately, the only survivor. I then have 3 in a large pet carrier which have a similar set up, and they're all doing fairly well (these are separated for quarantine reasons, just as a precaution, and just in case to prevent cannibalism by the older froglet). They are growing with time, but I would say they're still about the size of a finger nail, maybe a little bigger. What I'm wondering, is when is an appropriate time to move them into their big tank? I have a 18x18x24 small-tall which I believe will properly house these 4 little guys, but I'm worried about them getting lost in there, or drying out in the substrate (which is what happened when I first tried my hand at raising a froglet a year ago with zero knowledge of how to raise a froglet).

tl;dr How old should froglets be before they should be moved into a larger enclosure?

And the side question about vitamins and froglets; I have yet to feed my froglets any vitamins because, to be quite honest, I barely know how to properly give them to my adult frog, let alone the little ones. I've heard some people say once a week, others once a month, so I'm confused right off the get go. I also believe in the care sheet it said to dust with a mix of calcium AND vitamins, but other sources have always said not to mix the two or something along those lines. Does anyone have any input on this perhaps? Sorry for the long winded questions, and thanks in advance.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: When to move my baby Gray's into their enclosure + side question about feeding vitamins to froglets

You can move them into the big tank, just make sure you keep the humidity level at 50%. Also you should be using the multi vitamin and calcium supplement, alternating these every other day so these little ones end up as healthy adults. When feeding the frogs use a dish to put the feeder bugs in so they don't get lost in the viv, and it also makes it much easier for the froglets to catch their dinner. And if you haven't read this yet Frog Forum - Gray Tree Frog Care and Breeding please do so, it may help your new found friends live a long happy, healthy life. I do recommend having lots of branches and vines for them to climb on. My neighbor added so many vines you would think they didn't have room to move, but since she had done this, they are more active than ever.

Name:  5-24-12.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  122.3 KBThis is a tank I used for 3 greys, but like I said, I would fill this in with lots of vines and branches.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

Gentlemangorath

Default Re: When to move my baby Gray's into their enclosure + side question about feeding vitamins to froglets

I've read the care sheet, it's where I found the info on mixing them;

"Feed your froglets daily with fruit flies (culture your own wingless or flightless fruit flies). Dust every 2-3 feedings with vitamin and mineral powder mixed with calcium powder (mix as used, do not store mixed). Alternatively, use gut-loaded pinhead or very small crickets. To gutload the crickets, feed them on flaked fish food for a few hours prior to giving to the frogs. The perfect diet is a varied one, so feeding froglets with pinheads and fruit flies is advised."

And ok, I'll just do it once a week then, as opposed to mixing it like the care sheet advised. Now, I'm concerned about being able to find the little guys in this big tank. Should I keep the items within the tank light until they grow a bit more? In my old Gray's set up it was kind of bare, a log, soaking dish, plastic pothos hanging from the side, but this time I was going to have a bit more to it. I was thinking maybe a pothos or two, vine, branch, and then when they're bigger, I'll get a driftwood log or something for them to perch on?

One last concern; if I were to put them all together, I have one froglet that's noticeably smaller than the others, especially the one that's 2 months. Would that little one be at risk of being eaten by the bigger one? If so, I'll let those little ones grow a bit bigger, and perhaps just move that one into the big tank for the time being.

This is the set up I had for my Green Tree Frog's when I first got them, and have since added a vine for more foliage and climbing space With more space in the big tank however, I'll have room to add more items, hopefully of a variety, and then it will eventually have a nice driftwood log as mentioned.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi Abraham! Supplement use attracts a lot of discussion in both amphibian and reptile forums. Believe growing froglets need these supplements in large amounts to grow healthy bone and muscle tissue. Adult frogs can still receive them but in diminished amounts.

For those reasons recommend dusting food with CA/D3 twice and vitamins once a week on different days and with skip day in between. For example you could dust with CA/D3 on Monday and Friday and do the vitamins on Wednesday.

When frogs are full grown, can lower the Calcium dusting to twice a month and the vitamins to once. Another option is to dust one prey item (i.e. one cricket) and supplement food once weekly. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Just a quick, not so good pic of neighbors set up. She uses soap dishes w/sucksion cups filled with moist moss and the frogs LOVE these.

Name:  CIMG0505.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  117.3 KB
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

Gentlemangorath

Thanks for the tips/advice, I'll keep it in mind and act accordingly. I'm in the process of getting the remaining supplies for the new tank, but after that I'll be moving my oldest guy/gal (unnamed because they're all so little and kinda hard to tell apart >_<) into their new home. I just really hope it doesn't go wrong, but he/she looks like a baby Gray Tree Frog at this point, as opposed to a froglet, so I think it will be ok.

Thread Information