Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Mantella Collection.

Default My Mantella Collection.

Hi everyone,

Thought I would post up a few of my Madagascan Mantella collection Out of all the species I have kept over the years, Mantella have always been my favourite!! (If my user name didn't give that away lol)

Firstly, here are some snaps of my Golden Mantella (Mantella aurantiaca) which if you don't know anything about Mantella, are the most widely kept species from the genus.

Golden Mantella
    Nomenclature: Mantella aurantiaca
    IUCN Red List: Critically Endangered
    Country of Origin: Eastern-central Madagascar.

Information: This species is 1 of 16 species in the Mantella genus all of which use Aposematism as a defence mechanism. Aposematism basically derives from the Greek words that mean "Warning Colours" a defence which has made another family of frogs famous, the Dendrobatidae family (Poison Dart Frogs). Like the rest of the Mantella genus, it is completely terrestrial and is not a fantastic swimmer, but will be found in and around swamp-like and Marshland areas where it will also remain to breed.

It is one of the most endangered (listed as Critically Endangered by the IUCN Red List) out of the entire genus and can only be found in a few select places in Eastern-central Madagascar, two places are in the Torotorofotsy Marshlands and the Andromena Forest regions. However, even though it is one of the rarest and most at risk of extinction, it is also one of the most over bred species in captivity being both popular in Zoological collections and the Private Pet Trade.

© 2013 (These are copyrighted photographs, please ask permission before using)
    Name:  mantellaguy-albums-golden-mantella-mantella-aurantiaca-picture59374-golden-mantella-1-1-20-nomen.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  67.3 KB
    Name:  mantellaguy-albums-golden-mantella-mantella-aurantiaca-picture59375-golden-mantella-1-1-20-nomen.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  76.9 KB
    Name:  mantellaguy-albums-golden-mantella-mantella-aurantiaca-picture59376-golden-mantella-1-1-20-nomen.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  43.1 KB
    Name:  mantellaguy-albums-golden-mantella-mantella-aurantiaca-picture59377-golden-mantella-1-1-20-nomen.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  36.6 KB
    Name:  mantellaguy-albums-golden-mantella-mantella-aurantiaca-picture59378-golden-mantella-1-1-20-nomen.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  67.4 KB

Secondly here are my Brown Leaf Mantella (Mantella betsileo) individuals which are quite the prolific breeders! lol

Brown Leaf Mantella
    Nomenclature: Mantella betsileo
    IUCN Red List: Least Concern
    Country of Origin: Western to Central Madagascar.

Information: This species is 1 of 16 species in the Mantella genus all of which use Aposematism as a defence mechanism. Aposematism basically derives from the Greek words that mean "Warning Colours" a defence which has made another family of frogs famous, the Dendrobatidae family (Poison Dart Frogs). Like the rest of the Mantella genus, it is completely terrestrial and is not a fantastic swimmer, but will be found in and around swampy areas where it will also remain to breed. It's a shy member of the genus, unlike some Mantella species that are more bold and will venture out into the open.

It is one of the most common members of the entire genus and this species is widely distributed in western and southwestern Madagascar, with recent records from Isalo and from the central plateau near Antsirabe. It is a highly adaptable species with little habitat-related threats, though it is believed that Slash and Burn farming and over grazing from live-stock has some major impacts to their decline. However, over collecting for commercial and private purposes is a potential threat to the species (like most of the genus), but doesn't have any apparent or drastic effects.

© 2013 (These are copyrighted photographs, please ask permission before using
    Name:  mantellaguy-albums-brown-leaf-mantella-mantella-betsileo-picture59389-brown-leaf-mantella-2-2-0-.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  64.1 KB
    Name:  mantellaguy-albums-brown-leaf-mantella-mantella-betsileo-picture59388-brown-leaf-mantella-2-2-0-.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  85.7 KB
    Name:  mantellaguy-albums-brown-leaf-mantella-mantella-betsileo-picture59387-brown-leaf-mantella-2-2-0-.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  123.7 KB
    Name:  mantellaguy-albums-brown-leaf-mantella-mantella-betsileo-picture59386-brown-leaf-mantella-2-2-0-.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  77.3 KB
    Name:  mantellaguy-albums-brown-leaf-mantella-mantella-betsileo-picture59385-brown-leaf-mantella-2-2-0-.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  71.1 KB

Shall upload more soon!!

Thank you for reading and looking!

2. This member thanks MantellaGuy for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

maxQ

Default Re: My Mantella Collection.

Wow they are so handsome...love them. Thanks for posting these guys.

5. This member thanks maxQ for this post:

Smile Re: My Mantella Collection.

Here is my pair of Blue-legged Mantella (Mantella expectata) which aren't very blue I will admit but they still have a lot of growing to do!!

Blue Legged Mantella
    Nomenclature: Mantella expectata
    IUCN Red List: Endangered
    Country of Origin: Isalo Massif, Grotte des Portugais, Amparambatomavo, Ambatovaky, Sakavato, Toliara, Morondava region and Mandena in Madagascar.

Information: This species is 1 of 16 species in the Mantella genus all of which use Aposematism as a defence mechanism. Aposematism basically derives from the Greek words that mean "Warning Colours" a defence which has made another family of frogs famous, the Dendrobatidae family (Poison Dart Frogs). Like the rest of the Mantella genus, it is completely terrestrial and is not a fantastic swimmer, but will be found in and around swampy areas where it will also remain to breed.

It is one of the most uncommon members of the entire genus and this species is only found in a small distribution range in South-eastern Madagascar, including a fragmented distributed range within the Isalo massif (The same area as the Scaphiophryne gottlebei species). It's mainly threatened by the decline of its forest habitat due to subsistence agriculture, timber extraction, charcoal manufacture, invasive spread of eucalyptus, livestock grazing and expanding human settlements. However, over collecting for commercial and private purposes is a potential threat to the species (like most of the genus), but doesn't have any apparent or drastic effects.

Name:  mantellaguy-albums-blue-legged-mantella-mantella-expectata-picture60600-blue-legged-mantella-nom.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  110.9 KB
    Name:  mantellaguy-albums-blue-legged-mantella-mantella-expectata-picture60599-blue-legged-mantella-nom.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  111.1 KB

And here are some photos of my Green Mantella (Mantella viridis) which are possibly one of my favourite species within the genus! lol They are definitely incredibly beautiful.

Green Mantella
    Nomenclature: Mantella viridis
    Country of Origin: Top-Northern Madagascar.

Information: This species is 1 of 16 species in the Mantella genus all of which use Aposematism as a defence mechanism. Aposematism basically derives from the Greek words that mean "Warning Colours" a defence which has made another family of frogs famous, the Dendrobatidae family (Poison Dart Frogs).

It is one of the most endangered out of the entire genus and can only be found in a few select places in Top-Northern Madagascar, in the Fôret d’Ambre Special Reserve, Montagne des Français, Antogombato, Andranotsymaty, Antsahampano, Ivovona, Anjiabe, Andoajampoana, Mangoaka, Antsiranana, Ankitsakalaninaombi, Daraina, Mahavavona, Joffreville, Francom and the island of Nosy Hara. It is one of the rarest and most at risk of extinction and one of the least kept species in the genus.

Name:  mantellaguy-albums-green-mantella-mantella-viridis-picture60604-green-mantella-nomenclature-mant.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  102.7 KB
    Name:  mantellaguy-albums-green-mantella-mantella-viridis-picture60605-green-mantella-nomenclature-mant.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  96.8 KB
    Name:  mantellaguy-albums-green-mantella-mantella-viridis-picture60606-green-mantella-nomenclature-mant.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  101.0 KB

And here is the last lot for the day! My Yellow Mantella (Mantella crocea) individuals which are pretty bold I must admit lol

Yellow Mantella
    Nomenclature: Mantella crocea
    Country of Origin: Eastern-Central Madagascar.

Information: This species is 1 of 16 species in the Mantella genus all of which use Aposematism as a defence mechanism. Aposematism basically derives from the Greek words that mean "Warning Colours" a defence which has made another family of frogs famous, the Dendrobatidae family (Poison Dart Frogs). Like the rest of the Mantella genus, it is completely terrestrial and is not a fantastic swimmer, but will be found in and around swampy areas where it will also remain to breed.

It is classed as Endangered by the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species and can only be found in Eastern-central Madagascar, from a few localities covering a very small area including; Ifoha west of Parc National de Mantadia, a forest area east of Ambohimanarivo and outside the Réserve Naturelle Intégrale de Zahamena. This species is (like most of Madagascar's Wildlife) mainly threatened by Habitat-loss through Agricultural expansion from Crop planting and livestock grazing land, Expansion of Human Settlements and Logging for Timber. It is believed to be mildly threatened by Collection for the Pet Trade, however this hasn't shown any signs of a lasting or drastic effect to their decline.

Name:  mantellaguy-albums-yellow-mantella-mantella-crocea-picture60607-yellow-mantella-nomenclature-man.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  96.4 KB
    Name:  mantellaguy-albums-yellow-mantella-mantella-crocea-picture60598-yellow-mantella-nomenclature-man.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  82.7 KB

I shall take some photos of my M.laevigata and various other species I have currently for you all too see

Thank you again for taking the time to look!

7. This member thanks MantellaGuy for this post:

Thank you very much Gary There are more available after your post now too!

Smile Re: My Mantella Collection.

Here is my pair of Arboreal or Climbing Mantella (Mantella laevigata) that are pretty much my most secretive animal in my entire collection (Even my Scaphiophyrne species come out more than these guys lol)

Arboreal Mantella
    Nomenclature: Mantella laevigata
    IUCN Red List: Near Threatened
    Country of Origin: Ambavala, Ambodimanga (Mananara), Folohy, Marojejy, Nosy Mangabe, Tsararano in Madagascar.

Information: This species is 1 of 16 species in the Mantella genus all of which use Aposematism as a defence mechanism. Aposematism basically derives from the Greek words that mean "Warning Colours" a defence which has made another family of frogs famous, the Dendrobatidae family (Poison Dart Frogs). This species is probably one of the oddest within the entire genus, being completely unique and showing a few similarities to the Oophaga genus of Central America. Just like the Oophaga (Greek for "Egg-eater") genus they provide their offspring with an infertile egg to feed upon, they are also more arboreal than other members of the Mantella genus which is quite a lot like their Dendrobatidae (Poison Dart Frogs) counterparts. It's a shy member of the genus, unlike some Mantella species that are more bold and will venture out into the open.

It is one of the most common members of the entire genus and this species is widely distributed in North-eastern Madagascar, with recent records from Marojejy south to Folohy. It's mainly threatened by the decline of its forest habitat due to subsistence agriculture, timber extraction, charcoal manufacture, invasive spread of eucalyptus, livestock grazing and expanding human settlements. However, over collecting for commercial and private purposes is a potential threat to the species (like most of the genus), but doesn't have any apparent or drastic effects.

Name:  mantellaguy-albums-arboreal-mantella-mantella-laevigata-picture60625-arboreal-mantella-nomenclat.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  56.3 KB

Excuse the lack of photos for this species, I hardly get to see them!!

10. This member thanks MantellaGuy for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi Mantella Guy,

You have made my day with these gorgeous photos! I am considering mantellas as my next species, but have heard they need cooler temperatures. My summertime viv Temps can reach 79. Is that too warm do you think? Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Judy

12. This member thanks jz24 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by jz24 View Post
    Hi Mantella Guy,

You have made my day with these gorgeous photos! I am considering mantellas as my next species, but have heard they need cooler temperatures. My summertime viv Temps can reach 79. Is that too warm do you think? Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Judy
    Hey Judy,

Well thank you very much for the kind words and for looking Very kind! Mantella are a very underestimated genus I personally thingk and that they should be kept more widely lol Hmmmm I would say that a majority of the genus wouldn't be able to handle temperatures as high as that unless you can get an AC unit? The only species that would tolerate Temperatures that high and higher would be the Mantella expectata that can live in temperatures as high as 28-30'c but don't forget that this can be for only short periods of time, the wild doesn't have a thermostat!

I do have a list of temperatures for each of the 16 members of the genus somewhere so I shall write it out for you

Josh

Thought I would give this a little bump, shall be uploading new photos soon!

Default Green Mantella (Mantella viridis) & Green Mantella Tadpoles / Spawn

Hi all,

Thought I would upload some photographs of my Green Mantella (Mantella viridis) adults and some of the offspring that I have currently (I won't be too optimistic as I have had crashes before which I have been devastated by).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mantellaguy-albums-green-mantella-mantella-viridis-picture63725-green-mantella-nomenclature-mant.jpg 
Views:	874 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	63731

Name:	mantellaguy-albums-green-mantella-mantella-viridis-picture61244-green-mantella-nomenclature-mant.jpg 
Views:	868 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	63732

Name:	mantellaguy-albums-green-mantella-mantella-viridis-picture63729-green-mantella-nomenclature-mant.jpg 
Views:	787 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	63733

Name:	mantellaguy-albums-green-mantella-mantella-viridis-picture63730-green-mantella-nomenclature-mant.jpg 
Views:	789 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	63734

I have 15 Tadpoles in total which I consider a good batch, I hope you enjoy the photos!!

Merry Christmas,

Josh

16. This member thanks MantellaGuy for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Green Mantella (Mantella viridis) & Green Mantella Tadpoles / Spawn

Exciting !
    Keep us posted !

Merry Christmas to you as well, Josh

Best , Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Smile Re: Green Mantella (Mantella viridis) & Green Mantella Tadpoles / Spawn

Quote Originally Posted by flybyferns View Post
    Exciting !
    Keep us posted !

Merry Christmas to you as well, Josh

Best , Lynn
    Haha shall do, I must admit I am buzzing because these are offspring from a unrelated bloodline which always makes me happy!

I have some more to upload, but it would be too nice of me to post them all up in one go lol

I hope you have a lovely Holiday!

Kind regards,

Josh

Smile Re: Green Mantella (Mantella viridis) & Brown Leaf Mantella (Mantella betsileo) Exhibits.

Hi all,

Time for yet again, another update If you have been following my Racking System build then you would of seen this here (Click the Hyperlink) and the past week I have playing around with a few of my 400x400x400mm False Bottom Terrariums.

I have in total 7 Mantella species (9 when I finally my M.cowanni and M.milotympanum and with each of the species I have many groups of unrelated bloodlines which I keep separate, so when you see my exhibits below these will be for a single bloodline.

So now, without further ado here they are, not happy with one of them but shall replant it when I get my new Plants delivered;

Name:	mantellaguy-albums-amphibian-room-racking-build-picture63897-2-out-9-mantella-exhibits-completed.jpg 
Views:	819 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	63909
    ^ ^ - 2 out 9 species have been made brand new enclosures! Left exhibit will house 1 of my 4 bloodlines of Mantella viridis and Right exhibit will house 1 of my 2 bloodlines of Mantella betsileo.

Name:	mantellaguy-albums-amphibian-room-racking-build-picture63895-one-my-400mm-x-400mm-x-400mm-false-.jpg 
Views:	748 
Size:	155.7 KB 
ID:	63910

^ ^ - 1.1.0 Mantella betsileo exhibit, I have made it more crowded with many places to hide as they are, due to be less Aposematic, less bold than some of the genus.

Name:	mantellaguy-albums-amphibian-room-racking-build-picture63896-one-my-400mm-x-400mm-x-400mm-false-.jpg 
Views:	774 
Size:	151.0 KB 
ID:	63911
    ^ ^ - Close up of the 1.1.0 Mantella betsileo exhibit.

Name:	mantellaguy-albums-amphibian-room-racking-build-picture63779-one-my-400mm-x-400mm-x-400mm-false-.jpg 
Views:	757 
Size:	130.8 KB 
ID:	63912
    ^ ^ - 1.2.0 Mantella viridis exhibit, I am not that happy with this and kind of had to make do with some of the spare plants I had from previous builds. More open than the M.betsileo exhibit as I found the species to be very bold, nearly as bold as Mantella aurantiaca. Will be refurnishing this with more Fittonia species and like all my Terrariums, I will be painting on Moss Spores when I receive them.

Name:	mantellaguy-albums-amphibian-room-racking-build-picture63781-one-my-400mm-x-400mm-x-400mm-false-.jpg 
Views:	813 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	63913
    ^ ^ - Close up of the 1.2.0 Mantella viridis exhibit. The Peperomia clusiifolia I doubt will be able to stay in there but as a temporary thing I am sure it will be fine, it will go into my Scaphiophyrne gottlebei exhibit though as I know it prefers drier substrates.

Anyway, hope you like the Terrariums but they will need a lot of work, I will be putting the individuals in the Terrariums on Christmas eve/day though, the Aquarium Grade Sealant would have stopped smelling by then (I know that it is Solvent free but no harm leaving it the last couple of days! lol).

Merry Christmas,

Josh

20. This member thanks MantellaGuy for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Green Mantella (Mantella viridis) & Brown Leaf Mantella (Mantella betsileo) Exhibits.

Hi Josh,

Very nice !

How are you attaching the coco coir panels?
    I like that as well -- nice and thin.
    I have seen so many different suggestions.

Have you ever seen it available in large rolls without the possibility of any chemicals or additives?
    I have purchased small rolls made by 'All living Things'
    I saw a enclosure once (? forget where ) that had 2 thin layers on the back wall.
    Pockets were made in the top layer for roots and cuttings! It was beautiful.

Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Green Mantella (Mantella viridis) & Brown Leaf Mantella (Mantella betsileo) Exhibits.

Congrats Josh; your enclosures look great. Looking forward to seeing the plants mature and mosses cover the sides. Happy holidays !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Quote Originally Posted by flybyferns View Post
    Hi Josh,

Very nice !

How are you attaching the coco coir panels?
    I like that as well -- nice and thin.
    I have seen so many different suggestions.

Have you ever seen it available in large rolls without the possibility of any chemicals or additives?
    I have purchased small rolls made by 'All living Things'
    I saw a enclosure once (? forget where ) that had 2 thin layers on the back wall.
    Pockets were made in the top layer for roots and cuttings! It was beautiful.

Hi Lynn

Thank you very much, the panels are simply attached with an Aquarium Grade Silicone Sealant I like to use called "Aqua-Mate" which is premium quality. Been using the stuff for years and never had a issue, it's solvent free, high modulus and Fungicide free!

The panels are made by Lucky Reptile called "Lucky Reptile Coco Background",I originally thought the panels were quite think when I got them but I opened the packet and realised the separate into 3 thinner panels which must obviously be for people to choose what they want. I thought I would have to buy £90 worth but I spent £30 and still have 2 panels left over and offcuts!!

These panels are detailed as the following;

"Lucky Reptile Coco Backgrounds are 100% natural backgrounds made from coco fibres. They are free of chemicals, pesticides and fertilizers. Natural rubber is used as glue which is completely save for the animals. The material can be cut easily and quickly adapted to any terrarium size.
    Our Coco Backgrounds are also an excellent subsoil for plants. Tillandsias, vines and tendril plants can be planted on the background and quickly adhere to the coco fibres. With our Coco Backgrounds you can easily create an attractive surrounding in your terrarium."

From what I have found they are actually really good and perfect for use I would highly recommend them to anyone! They are almost self-adhesive too, you can stick an other panel on top and it will stick together like Velcro! You can buy them for £14 on eBay I suggest you try one out Lynn!

Congrats Josh; your enclosures look great. Looking forward to seeing the plants mature and mosses cover the sides. Happy holidays !
    Thank you Carlos!! I can't wait either and I am dying to get the animals in too, do you reckon it would be safe now?

Smile Re: Green Mantella (Mantella viridis) & Brown Leaf Mantella (Mantella betsileo) Exhibits.

Hi all again,

So I decided that it was about time that the Mantella viridis and Mantella betsileo groups were placed in their exhibits, and that is exactly what I have done today!

Name:	mantellaguy-albums-green-mantella-mantella-viridis-picture63994-green-mantella-nomenclature-mant.jpg 
Views:	763 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	64000
    ^ ^ - Female M.viridis out of 1 of my 4 bloodlines for this species.

Name:	mantellaguy-albums-green-mantella-mantella-viridis-picture63995-green-mantella-nomenclature-mant.jpg 
Views:	726 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	64001
    ^ ^ - Another Female M.viridis out of the 1.2.0 group.

Name:	mantellaguy-albums-green-mantella-mantella-viridis-picture63997-green-mantella-nomenclature-mant.jpg 
Views:	727 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	64002
    ^ ^ - Female M.viridis individual seen in the first picture. Love this photograph, didn't even know I took it!

Name:	mantellaguy-albums-green-mantella-mantella-viridis-picture63998-green-mantella-nomenclature-mant.jpg 
Views:	770 
Size:	136.0 KB 
ID:	64003
    ^ ^ - Male individual, very brightly coloured and incredibly bold!

Name:	mantellaguy-albums-brown-leaf-mantella-mantella-betsileo-picture64004-brown-leaf-mantella-2-2-0-.jpg 
Views:	874 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	64007
    ^ ^ - M.betsileo individual out of the 1.1.0 group, I must admit I have never seen this species this active before I have actually been able to watch them!

Name:	mantellaguy-albums-brown-leaf-mantella-mantella-betsileo-picture64005-brown-leaf-mantella-2-2-0-.jpg 
Views:	878 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	64008
    ^ ^ - M.betsileo individual jumping, yet again another photograph I didn't realise I caught, not great but interesting! lol

Name:	mantellaguy-albums-brown-leaf-mantella-mantella-betsileo-picture64006-brown-leaf-mantella-2-2-0-.jpg 
Views:	884 
Size:	123.6 KB 
ID:	64009
    ^ ^ - M.betsileo whom is incredibly active!!

Anyway hope you like the photographs, I shall be doing the Mantella aurantiaca big build next! Check out my Racking System Thread

Merry Christmas all, have a great day!!

Josh

25. This member thanks MantellaGuy for this post:

Geo

Very nice collection and set of habitats. I am curious as to how you care for the M. Betsileo. Can you share what foods you feed, feed schedule, habitat, lighting etc. I would like to compare against what I have been doing for my colony. To date I am only aware of you, me and Bill (deranged chipmunk) having lengthy experience with them.

Thumbs up Re: Green Mantella (Mantella viridis) & Brown Leaf Mantella (Mantella betsileo) Exhibits.

Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    Very nice collection and set of habitats. I am curious as to how you care for the M. Betsileo. Can you share what foods you feed, feed schedule, habitat, lighting etc. I would like to compare against what I have been doing for my colony. To date I am only aware of you, me and Bill (deranged chipmunk) having lengthy experience with them.
    Thank you very much George Well I feed a range of foods such as Acyrthosiphon pisum (occasionally), Folsomia candida (Constant supply as they are in the substrate), Drosophila melanogaster, Trichorina tomentosa (Constant supply as they are in the substrate) and Gut-loaded Gryllus bimaculatus (Micro/Hatchlings). They are fed thrice weekly (Monday, Wednesday and Friday) with every feed being a different food item.
    They are sprayed for 11 months of the year with intermittent amounts of precipitation quantity For Example;
    • Monday = 3 Sprays (1st for 7 seconds, 2nd for 5 seconds and 3rd for 10 seconds)
    • Tuesday = 2 sprays (1st for 10 seconds and 2nd for 10 seconds)
    • Wednesday = 4 Sprays (1st for 8 Seconds, 2nd for 5 seconds, 3rd for 5 seconds and 4th for 10 seconds)
    • Thursday = 1 Spray (7 seconds)
    • Friday = 2 Sprays (1st for 6 seconds and 2nd for 6 seconds)
    • Saturday = 0 Sprays
    • Sunday = 2 sprays (1st for 7 seconds and 2nd for 6 seconds)

And I will follow that routine closely for most of the year (Yes, I really am that much of a pain lol) which is all documented in their Journal that I keep for the species.
    Substrate is slightly Sandy with a 20/80% Ratio (Sand/Soil) and have a bit of a rocky setting with lots of leaf litter.
    Lighting is kept on for 10-12 hours so they are given about 12-12.

Temperature is maintained at/between 20-26'c and no higher than 26'c however I rarely go as high as that, they seem to prefer 24'c.

Live plants are more of a challenge, they are definitely less bold as other species within the genus due to being less Aposematic but, I went for Fittonia, Devil's Ivy, Pothos and various other Foliage species. They are quite arboreal which you wouldn't have thought so I try to utilise the tanks height as much as possible

Hope this helps!

Hi all,

Thought I would update my thread with new photographs of my Yellow Mantella (Mantella crocea) group!

Yellow Mantella
    Nomenclature: Mantella crocea
    Country of Origin: Eastern-Central Madagascar.

It is classed as Endangered by the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species and can only be found in Eastern-central Madagascar, from a few localities covering a very small area including; Ifoha west of Parc National de Mantadia, a forest area east of Ambohimanarivo and outside the Réserve Naturelle Intégrale de Zahamena. This species is (like most of Madagascar's Wildlife) mainly threatened by Habitat-loss through Agricultural expansion from Crop planting and livestock grazing land, Expansion of Human Settlements and Logging for Timber. It is believed to be mildly threatened by Collection for the Pet Trade, however this hasn't shown any signs of a lasting or drastic effect to their decline.

© 2013 (These are copyrighted photographs, please ask permission before using)

Name:	mantellaguy-albums-yellow-mantella-mantella-crocea-picture64602-yellow-mantella-nomenclature-man.jpg 
Views:	808 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	64616

Name:	mantellaguy-albums-yellow-mantella-mantella-crocea-picture64604-yellow-mantella-nomenclature-man.jpg 
Views:	830 
Size:	109.9 KB 
ID:	64617

Name:	mantellaguy-albums-yellow-mantella-mantella-crocea-picture64605-yellow-mantella-nomenclature-man.jpg 
Views:	800 
Size:	108.4 KB 
ID:	64618

Name:	mantellaguy-albums-yellow-mantella-mantella-crocea-picture64606-yellow-mantella-nomenclature-man.jpg 
Views:	806 
Size:	116.5 KB 
ID:	64619

Name:	mantellaguy-albums-yellow-mantella-mantella-crocea-picture64607-yellow-mantella-nomenclature-man.jpg 
Views:	783 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	64620

Thanks for looking!

29. This member thanks MantellaGuy for this post:

Geo

Very nice. I wish I could get my hands on a couple more different mantella species but for some reason many of the breeders won't ship here (Canada). Your recording of the their daily care is quite specific lol. It is interesting that you mentioned the arboreal behaviour as I have noticed very little of that behaviour in my M. Betsileo colony (as of yet) although I have a setup that would allow for it. Periodically one of them might be on a higher branch but that is not too common. They seem to be, at least the past few months, very much oriented towards burrowing into the moss and creating little indents/caves here and there.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information