Thread: Earwig Collection, Care, Use

findiviglio

Default Earwig Collection, Care, Use

Hi All,
    Throughout my long career as a zookeeper and pet keeper, I have used wild caught insects to improve the diets of the amphibians, reptiles, fishes, invertebrates and birds under my care. While some cautions apply, the benefits conferred by the nutritional value of such foods far outweigh the risks involved. I have covered the collection and care of sow bugs, sap beetles, leaf litter invertebrates and many others in the articles linked below. Today I’ll discuss earwigs – common, hardy, and largely-ignored insects that have great potential as pet food. They are also extremely interesting in their own right, with females caring for their eggs and actually carrying food to the young!Read the rest of this article here Earwigs as an Alternative Food for Pet Reptiles and Amphibians

Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with: That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog

Best Regards, Frank Indiviglio

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Earwig Collection, Care, Use

Interesting read. I had never thought about earwigs for food and probably never will because my girlfriend has a hate-loathe relationship with earwigs and I'd be sent packing if I was caught intentionally bringing them indoors. However, I am now inclined to find a female with a brood in the wild to see their care taking in action.

findiviglio

Quote Originally Posted by UncleChester View Post
    Interesting read. I had never thought about earwigs for food and probably never will because my girlfriend has a hate-loathe relationship with earwigs and I'd be sent packing if I was caught intentionally bringing them indoors. However, I am now inclined to find a female with a brood in the wild to see their care taking in action.
    Thanks very much. The female I mentioned in the article stayed at the same burrow for appx 2 weeks; I was lucky...often find small groups, but that was the first female with a brood that I came across in a natural situation/ Good luck, enjoy, Frank

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I would be concerned about the earwigs biting the frogs. I've been pinched several times by these little nastiest. I'm with Brian's girlfriend, I HATE these things.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

findiviglio

[QUOTE=kueluck;199892]I would be concerned about the earwigs biting the frogs. I've been pinched several times by these little nastiest. I'm with Brian's girlfriend, I HATE these things.[/QUOTE

Hi, Thanks for your interest. Earwigs commonly show up in stomach content studies of a wide variety of species. Pinching is not a cncern for captives, except perhaps if an outsized individual were fed to a small frog (this should be avoided in general, whatever food item is used). best, frank

Nationality
    [United States]

Always good to hear from you Frank!

I was trying to collect Dermapterans this last summer and it seems they are never around when you want them to be, yet super abundant when you don't want them to be, lol.

Never thought about baiting them in with a pitfall trap - good advice - especially within the rose bushes. If I had a dollar for every baited pitfall that was dug up on me I could probably treat us to a fancy dinner! In addition, screen-style or wire caging around the trap works well for keeping out mammals while allowing smaller insects to enter so long as it is properly anchored.

I've never thought about these guys as a food source due to their somewhat noxious defense volatiles, but I agree that they should be perfectly fine to feed considering the number of insectivores (herps and aves alike) that use them as a common food source. As always, it would be good to make sure your yard or collecting area is chemical and "-cide" free to prevent potential harm to your pet. And if the "pinchers" are bothersome to you, a razor blade or pair of scissors will make quick work in snipping them off. Its mostly just sclerotized, hard tissue back there anyway.
    -Jeff Howell
    ReptileBoards ( Branched from The Reptile Rooms )
    "If you give, you begin to live." -DMB

findiviglio

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreH View Post
    Always good to hear from you Frank!

I was trying to collect Dermapterans this last summer and it seems they are never around when you want them to be, yet super abundant when you don't want them to be, lol.

Never thought about baiting them in with a pitfall trap - good advice - especially within the rose bushes. If I had a dollar for every baited pitfall that was dug up on me I could probably treat us to a fancy dinner! In addition, screen-style or wire caging around the trap works well for keeping out mammals while allowing smaller insects to enter so long as it is properly anchored.

I've never thought about these guys as a food source due to their somewhat noxious defense volatiles, but I agree that they should be perfectly fine to feed considering the number of insectivores (herps and aves alike) that use them as a common food source. As always, it would be good to make sure your yard or collecting area is chemical and "-cide" free to prevent potential harm to your pet. And if the "pinchers" are bothersome to you, a razor blade or pair of scissors will make quick work in snipping them off. Its mostly just sclerotized, hard tissue back there anyway.
    That's the way it is with just about everything I search for, fish for etc!!!

Raccoons are amazing...back when i was doing nuisance wildlife trapping, I even had a call about several in the met Museum of Art, on 5th Ave here in Manhattan! They may learn to steal and use pruning shears, but for now rosebushes are fairly effective....

Glad you found the trap idea useful, and thanks for the feedback and ideas. Enjoy, best, frank

Thread Information