Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whose frogs are sleeping?

Pyxiefan001

Default Whose frogs are sleeping?

Anyone else's frogs going down? Mine burrowed down on 9/13. Her last meal was some dusted nightcrawlers 2-3 days before that and I'm unclear if she pooped or not before hunkering down, but she's clearly in a position to come back up easily if she wants so I'm really not worried. She burrowed into a sort of hole rather than completely obscured by substrate and I can tell she's not in full aevistation, as temperatures and humidity are constantly kept at low 80s (day) to mid/high 70s (night) and around 80+% at all times.

I can check on her easily anytime I wish. Substrate looks a little dry in the pic but it's quite moist in the rest of it.

Name:  DSC_0588.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  121.7 KB

Also has anyone had any problems with their humidity getting higher than they'd wish? I'm having that problem at night when the temperatures are lower (trying it at 77 degrees, nighttime) and the humidity usually doesn't exceed 87%. Though that's higher than I'd like it. It's usually 78 to 82% during the daytime, when the temps are a bit higher, in the low 80s. I wish it wouldn't exceed 85%. And it's not as though I'm short on ventilation. Cage is a BIG Sterlite box with 90% of the top cut out of it with screen mesh taped on it, and there are inch-wide holes all around it. Hygrotherm sensors is about 1.5" off the substrate. Thinking of cutting more ventilation somehow or going back to my exo-terra, whenever she wakes up at least.
    Last edited by Pyxiefan001; September 27th, 2013 at 12:07 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

maxQ

Default Re: Whose frogs are sleeping?

Lucy my tomato frog has burrowed as deep as she can, I cant even see her, she did come out very, very briefly this morning but within a minute she went back into her hole.

DeltaElite121

All three of mine are burrowing and staying deep down into their substrates. They eventually pop back up for food by themselves, though. Watering their substrates seems to have null affects unless I coax them out of sleeping.

maxQ

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaElite121 View Post
    All three of mine are burrowing and staying deep down into their substrates. They eventually pop back up for food by themselves, though. Watering their substrates seems to have null affects unless I coax them out of sleeping.
    Lucy came out last night long enough for me to clean the poop from the hole she dug, then went right back in.

Nationality
    [France]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

My female is burrowed since 15th of September.
    As she pooped her last meal just before and as I changed the substrate the day before (The 14th of September), then, I won't wake up. I will let her manage. I spray the substrate enough so that she won't estivate (I hope...).
    I would have woke her up only if she wouldn't have pooped the last meal or if I didn't changed the substrate before.
    My female is burried 9 months per year average.
    1.0.0 Ceratophrys ornata CB
    0.1.0 Pleurodeles waltl CB
    1.0.0 Pyxicephalus adspersus CB

Mine had been underground since beginning of August. I did have him poop mid september, but he dove right back into the dirt, refusing food. He's created a little space for himself under there, and the odd thing is he keeps calling when he's down there.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Mine buried himself last night and I dug him up to feed him. I hope he doesn't keep trying to bury himself.

Sheldon92024

Hi, my 6 month old male burrowed under his half log about two weeks ago. He has moved out all the substrate and is literally just sitting under the log. Temps and humidity haven't changed so I'm assuming he just needs to check out for a while. My question is, should I put some food in there for him or just wait until he comes out himself?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon92024 View Post
    Hi, my 6 month old male burrowed under his half log about two weeks ago. He has moved out all the substrate and is literally just sitting under the log. Temps and humidity haven't changed so I'm assuming he just needs to check out for a while. My question is, should I put some food in there for him or just wait until he comes out himself?
    You can do either. That is up to you, but if he is truly aestivating he will not eat.

maxQ

Here's Lucy, she is actually pissed off at me because I dug her up to make sure she was still breathing. LOL

Name:  Lucy hiding.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  78.8 KB

Sheldon92024

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    You can do either. That is up to you, but if he is truly aestivating he will not eat.
    He ate a large hisser I put right in front of the log. He didn't come out after it, but waited until it was coming in the burrow to eat it. How often should I offer him food if he's not coming out looking for it? He's six months old and six inches snout to vent. This is my first pyxi so I'm still learning. Thanks!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon92024 View Post
    He ate a large hisser I put right in front of the log. He didn't come out after it, but waited until it was coming in the burrow to eat it. How often should I offer him food if he's not coming out looking for it? He's six months old and six inches snout to vent. This is my first pyxi so I'm still learning. Thanks!
    You can feed him every 2 or 3 days.

Cap10Squirty

I guess I am confused on the whole aestivation process then...Is true aestivation when the bullfrog forms the water tight sac around itself or is that just a special case scenario for when things start to dry out? My frog, Karagga, spends a few days under then a few days in the pond, then back under.

Anyway, I'm looking for a good hide for my frog as it (still some questioning about gender) likes to burrow but not all the time right in the middle of the substrate - instead it's trying to wedge between a wall and its water dish which turns out to be too tight of a space. I would like to offer a hide in the case it does want to get away but stay on top of the soil.

Colleen/Jerrod - the cave that you have for your big boy is it an exo terra? There are a few sizes of that brand - I think a medium would work best for my frog.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Cap10Squirty View Post
    I guess I am confused on the whole aestivation process then...Is true aestivation when the bullfrog forms the water tight sac around itself or is that just a special case scenario for when things start to dry out? My frog, Karagga, spends a few days under then a few days in the pond, then back under.

Anyway, I'm looking for a good hide for my frog as it (still some questioning about gender) likes to burrow but not all the time right in the middle of the substrate - instead it's trying to wedge between a wall and its water dish which turns out to be too tight of a space. I would like to offer a hide in the case it does want to get away but stay on top of the soil.

Colleen/Jerrod - the cave that you have for your big boy is it an exo terra? There are a few sizes of that brand - I think a medium would work best for my frog.
    Yes true Aestivation is when the frog sheds several layers of skin and mucus to form a epithelial sac to retain moisture during periods of draught. They slow their metabolism way down and shut down some bodily functions during this period of dormancy. It is very different then a period of rest when the correct climate levels are maintained. They can still slow their metabolism, but not shut down entirely.

Yes it is an Exo Terra. Works very well and Günther loves it.

16. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

Cap10Squirty

Yes true Aestivation is when the frog sheds several layers of skin and mucus to form a epithelial sac to retain moisture during periods of draught. They slow their metabolism way down and shut down some bodily functions during this period of dormancy. It is very different then a period of rest when the correct climate levels are maintained. They can still slow their metabolism, but not shut down entirely.

Yes it is an Exo Terra. Works very well and Günther loves it.
    Thanks that is what I was thinking...so when the OP asks who's frog's are sleeping...there is a good chance that most are if just referring to being underground or hiding

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Cap10Squirty View Post
    Thanks that is what I was thinking...so when the OP asks who's frog's are sleeping...there is a good chance that most are if just referring to being underground or hiding
    Yes. Most never actually Aestivate in captivity. They do go through little mini Aestivations, but never fully go dormant. Breeders will sometimes Brumate their frogs to prepare them for breeding in the spring and they do actually induce a dry season dormancy or winter dormancy period.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Well mine is sleeping..... Literally sleeping all day and night... In his water dish that I need to upgrade... Have to wake him up everyday to change water, he is getting mad, sometimes eats and then go back to his water and sleeps until next day. I think I will put 2 water dishes, one without water, I wonder what he'll do.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

My frog burrowed and got very angry when I disturbed it to check on it. It's a pretty young frog though, about 6 months so I don't think I should let it burrow. Thoughts?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by MyKindOfLullaby View Post
    My frog burrowed and got very angry when I disturbed it to check on it. It's a pretty young frog though, about 6 months so I don't think I should let it burrow. Thoughts?
    It is fine to let it burrow, but check on it and offer food. If the frog eats then you have no worries of it trying to Aestivate especially if climate levels are maintained.

It is fine to let it burrow, but check on it and offer food. If the frog eats then you have no worries of it trying to Aestivate especially if climate levels are maintained.
    Oops, I should have worded it better. I don't want to let my frog brumate or Aestivate or whatever frogs do during the winter Since it is still growing I want it to continue to eat on a regular basis. But if my frog doesn't eat does this mean it's going away for the winter? What should I do then?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information