Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Some pics of the girls

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Some pics of the girls

Name:  IMG_20140629_130736.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  81.2 KBKnew she'd come out, but the way she did it surprises me. I love when she makes tunnels, but I always thought they burrowed backwards only, and this looks like she crawled forward. Likely she tunneled out butt first then turned around.
    Yesterday's meal...
    "We like our choruses sung together, we like our arms in our brother's arms...
    We sing with our heroes 33 rpm, we're never goin home until the sun says we're finished,
    and I'll love you forever if I ever love at all,
    wild hearts..."
    1.2.0 Felis Catus - "Zoey" "Mouse" "Casey"(step-cat)
    0.1.0 B. a. americanus - "Banjo"
    1.0.0 Myotis lucifugus - "Fiendly" rest in peace, buddy. 06/15/13
    Rest in peace my sweet Ukulele 01/29/14

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

She's funny, can't decide which end to take first.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by kueluck View Post
    She's funny, can't decide which end to take first.
    I know! It's so cute, cuz she has no neck (being a frog and all), so while she's trying to decide, I just melt. She's like that with all food - "which one do I want, this one? That one? Oh but look it that one!" <toe wiggle>
    It's why I'd have to block Uki's line of sight, as she was much less contemplative.
    We sing with our heroes 33 rpm, we're never goin home until the sun says we're finished,
    wild hearts..."

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by yoshimi View Post
    I know! It's so cute, cuz she has no neck (being a frog and all), so while she's trying to decide, I just melt. She's like that with all food - "which one do I want, this one? That one? Oh but look it that one!" <toe wiggle>
    It's why I'd have to block Uki's line of sight, as she was much less contemplative.
    Obviously I love her to pieces, but waiting for her to decide and finish worms can be frustrating. If she's striking at it, have to wait. Tonight it took 15 to 20min. The last one was tiny, and she has more trouble with those. Should feed those 1st at meal time.
    Last night she hopped away from food, then went into shed, but tonight she's staring at me and clamoring against side of tank while I'm rinsing and drying them.

Still no outside toads (that I've seen), but I think I found a burrow, beside and under stone walkway. It could've been anything but I'm hoping for frog who knew, this is a safe place to be.
    wild hearts..."

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

My kids loved the video I love how toads are such enthusiastic eaters!
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

7. This member thanks LilyPad for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

I stopped feeding every day and started every other and they all eat so much better. And this year we have two toads living in one of the wood piles. It's been years since we've seen them in the yard.

Nationality
    [United States]

I stopped feeding every day and started every other and they all eat so much better. And this year we have two toads living in one of the wood piles. It's been years since we've seen them in the yard.
    I was going days without offering food for a while, since basement stays cooler longer. If I don't see her or just see her head peeking out of dirt, then I don't bother with anything but a water change. But if she's at front of tank, watching and waiting, I pull out the goodies.
    Also have a small tub outside with rocks and rain water that I check for tadpoles but nuthin. Boyfriend might object to kiddie pool in backyard. There were teeny baby toads last year. We live semi-near a pond but not so near to justify dragonflies clustering around my dragonfly solar thingie (really strange but awesome). Therefore not so near that I can say for sure that's where they came from.
    Has been rainy lately (raining right now, so much for fireworks) so I expect to encounter some tree frogs and/or toads and toadlets soon. We tread very carefully ( I do, at least).
    wild hearts..."

Nationality
    [United States]

Last night Paul came home bangin on door, not cuz he was locked out, but because there was this little guy on a brick. He thought it could be one of mine from last year. Very sweet but this is a young fella. Or gal.
    Name:  IMG_20140704_235514.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  65.9 KB Was raining, but I went back put with small worm in hand and didn't see him or anyone else. So Banjo got a snack.
    wild hearts..."

Nationality
    [United States]

Name:  IMG_20140919_211832.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  98.8 KBName:  IMG_20140919_211910.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  85.0 KBName:  IMG_20140919_231234.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  94.4 KBName:  IMG_20140919_231301.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  131.9 KBName:  IMG_20140919_212129.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  105.4 KBName:  IMG_20140919_231457.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  71.7 KB
    I should try to change the title of this thread, but Uki lives on thru pics, and Banjo lives on, being alive and all. The last pic is my fave. Love to see those eyes peeping out.

I would get rid of that log hide if she didn't like it so much. Bad history and when she's under there I lift it up to make sure she's ok. The point of a hide disappears when something giant is un-hiding you to make sure you're breathing. Anywhere else, and she has other hides, I don't bother her. Moving the log did nothing to dispel the Oh No feeling. She's a good girl tho and I can usually see her through port hole.

The only frog story I have is from end of Aug, beginning of Sept before we took a brief trip home to NJ. Paul ran the generator and snowblower and a toad got into garage. I was trying to fill pills and he yelled for me, thinking again that it was one of last year's toads. He became exasperated cuz I couldn't come running tho running and yelling was scaring the poor thing. I didn't have a toad whistle, so put a batt powered light on floor and shut overheads. It worked, but once again he yelled for me, so it was hiding by the time I got out. Thankfully he left and I sat in the dark with light on floor and clean hands and hop hop hop, out came the little guy. Caught it, gave it bath in water from Banjo's jug of treated water, hoping to get garage chemicals, dust and dirt off, then let it go in our backyard stick pile. Didn't know what else to do and seemed like safest place with delicious crickets. My annoyance with Paul ended when he bought Banjo worms while he was out.
    It occurred to me that it might not be the only interloper so I sat later with light on floor but no one made an appearance.
    wild hearts..."

Nationality
    [United States]

Banjo is looking good.

Nationality
    [United States]

Banjo is looking good.
    Thanks. She's gonna be a hottie when she matures. She's 2, and we'll be celebrating our two year anniversary next week. I expect many boy toads to be lined up and singing/calling on her from the yard all too soon. They grow up so fast.
    wild hearts..."

Nationality
    [United States]

Well I know of one Southern gentleman that will be 3 this coming spring. ;o) Morph is my only toad. I released all the other last month since all they did was burrow down. Morph is usually always up either sitting on the cork bark throne or slightly tucked up under a piece of cork bark by the feeding bowl awaiting dinner to pass by.

Nationality
    [United States]

Name:  IMG_20150101_122615.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  68.7 KB
    Happy New Year!
    wild hearts..."

16. This member thanks yoshimi for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Banjo died last night around 11pm. She'd decided to burrow through most of March, which she'd never done before, and when she came up, didn't want to eat. I waited, hoping it'd pass. Offered food, but she'd just walk away. The night before last, she was walking funny so I knew I had to do something. I force-fed her a calcium dipped piece of worm, using a card and her wrapped like a burrito in damp paper towel. She didn't fight me too much. I did it again the next morning, using vitamin supplement and she let me, but she ws walking better. All day yesterday, liquid was coming from her nose. It was getting into her eyes and attracting dirt so she had the membranes up. I dabbed at her nostrils with a tissue, tried to help her drain, and though she looked bad, she was still breathing. My bf brought home fresh worms and I should have waited to try to feed her again, but I messed up, and did it anyway. This time she fought me, and spit first half out. That was where I went wrong. I should have seen that she didn't want it, had the strength to fight, and let well enough alone until today. The stress of me trying again must have killed her because she died in my hands. Her eyes went clear and she looked right at me. As her last act, she excreted gooey white poison. She must have been terrified.
    The worst is that she doesn't look dead. She looks so much better than she did when she was sick. The pics are on my phone. She looks terrible hunched over with muddy eyes (I don't think she could see), and a wet looking face. But after death, those eyes are still open and clear - STILL - and she appears to be holding herself up. Just not breathing. I'm not sure exactly what happened. It could have been shock, she may have choked, or maybe the fluid went back up her nose and she drowned in it.
    I am so sorry. She might be here today if I hadn't thought I knew what I didn't. Instead, going to bury her in backyard in a few.
    wild hearts..."

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm so sorry for your loss Crystal, you did everything you could.

19. This member thanks gut for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

I didn't realize what a huge part of every day she was. I'm still in "go check on her" mode. For someone who made no noise, the house somehow seems more quiet without her. The tank looks dark and empty, though there's still some dirt in it and there never was a light. Not the kind that you plug in. There's a palpable sense of loss. I buried her yesterday and planted flower seeds on her grave and over where Uki is. They're old seeds and I'm not sure if they'll grow, but they were all I had.
    If I had a do-over, I would have left well enough alone and skipped that last feeding attempt of the new worms. Up until that point, I was doing what I had to and my force-feeding was necessary and technique was good. In my mind, I was thinking, fresher = better, but she'd already had some food and vitamins in her belly; she didn't need it. I would have then had the time to get help of a vet for that runny nose. I'd planned to move her out of that tank into something smaller and away from whatever had made her sick. That should have been my task Sat night, rather than another feeding. She was only three, so she may have pulled through. I don't get a do-over and neither does she. So I type this so that if someone else reads it, maybe they won't make my mistakes. American toads are hearty compared to other frogs, but still so very fragile, and to have one die in your hands because of something you didn't absolutely need to do, is heart-breaking.
    I miss her SO much.
    wild hearts..."

Member needs to set country!

I just joined and I read the comments. It looks like Uki had a good life. Feel better.

22. This member thanks likelittledinosaurs for this post:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information