Views: 265
Size:  63.4 KBName:  DSC00262.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  55.2 KBName:  DSC00263.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  67.3 KBName:  DSC00264.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  75.6 KB

and the 28th or 29th (i forget which) is the 1 year anniversary of Banjo's abduction. we're already celebrating.
    Name:  banjobday.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  67.6 KB
    "We like our choruses sung together, we like our arms in our brother's arms...
    We sing with our heroes 33 rpm, we're never goin home until the sun says we're finished,
    and I'll love you forever if I ever love at all,
    wild hearts..."
    1.2.0 Felis Catus - "Zoey" "Mouse" "Casey"(step-cat)
    0.1.0 B. a. americanus - "Banjo"
    1.0.0 Myotis lucifugus - "Fiendly" rest in peace, buddy. 06/15/13
    Rest in peace my sweet Ukulele 01/29/14

maxQ

Default Re: Some pics of the girls

Great looking girls, how many Eastern American Toads can I put in a 20 Gal L, two? Who's your supplier?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by maxQ View Post
    Great looking girls, how many Eastern American Toads can I put in a 20 Gal L, two? Who's your supplier?
    Their tank is a little over 20gal but I still feel like I want a bigger one for them.
    I found Banjo hopping on the sidewalk on a rainy night and took her home. Fought with myself over whether to keep her but it's obvious how that turned out.
    Ukulele belonged to a guy on craigslist who'd had her for about 4yrs but couldn't care for her anymore so took the hour long drive into the city to get her in July. Oops, I told him a while ago I'd send more pics of her. Should do that.
    They're so much fun but i've reached my space limit. They should be out soon looking for places to hibernate. I lived in Maryland for 6yrs but I was a little kid, not out at night, so never saw any. Spent my time wading thru creeks and playing with bugs in the dirt but I'm sure they were snoozing all around me.
    We sing with our heroes 33 rpm, we're never goin home until the sun says we're finished,
    wild hearts..."

Nationality
    [United States]

They're looking good.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

Nationality
    [United States]

Yeah they're cute with their dirty faces, and voracious eaters, but I haven't found a poo in what feels like forever. Only when one of them goes in the water dish. Neither seem sick so I'm hoping that they go in the burrows they dig, and when those burrows collapse, the poo gets buried. I don't love the idea that their dirt is riddled with hidden poos, but I suppose I'll find them sooner or later.
    wild hearts..."

Nationality
    [United States]

That's why I LOVE the springtails, they will clean that right outta there. Because I use a soil/coco fiber mix I can't tell if it's poop or soil unless it's covered in sprintails, then I know. Unless they go on the moss, cork bark or water dish.

maxQ

Quote Originally Posted by yoshimi View Post
    Their tank is a little over 20gal but I still feel like I want a bigger one for them.
    I found Banjo hopping on the sidewalk on a rainy night and took her home. Fought with myself over whether to keep her but it's obvious how that turned out.
    Ukulele belonged to a guy on craigslist who'd had her for about 4yrs but couldn't care for her anymore so took the hour long drive into the city to get her in July. Oops, I told him a while ago I'd send more pics of her. Should do that.
    They're so much fun but i've reached my space limit. They should be out soon looking for places to hibernate. I lived in Maryland for 6yrs but I was a little kid, not out at night, so never saw any. Spent my time wading thru creeks and playing with bugs in the dirt but I'm sure they were snoozing all around me.
    Awesome, I love them, I am out of room too as I have 7 Vivs with different species but I am always making room for more. I picked up a few 20 L and a 90 Custom at Goodwill really cheap so Im looking for something new. Ive been in Maryland for a few years now from Philly, I live at the base of the Cotoctan Mountains so I always go play with the Frogs and Toads up there but I don't bring them home....yet. : )My Tomato's make human size Poo's so there is no missing those.

Nationality
    [United States]

Springtails are pretty expensive, which stinks. Maybe I'll break a pipe and hope for mildew. Hah. I'm jealous of whoever might need the Orkin Man to get rid of them.
    wild hearts..."

Nationality
    [United States]

I bought springtails 2 years ago, and it's been going since then. As long as you don't let the viv dry out, and keep food in there they just keep on going. I always have a
    piece of bug burger in there to feed the springtails, pill bugs and any stray feeders that might have made a run for it. Jumbo 32 oz Temperate Springtail (Colombella) Culture - Springtails | Josh's Frogs

Quote Originally Posted by yoshimi View Post
    Springtails are pretty expensive, which stinks. Maybe I'll break a pipe and hope for mildew. Hah. I'm jealous of whoever might need the Orkin Man to get rid of them.

Nationality
    [United States]

I've noticed my little toadlet toe tap while he's hunting as well. It's like he's just so excited to chase down crickets he can't hold still =p

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewM1 View Post
    I've noticed my little toadlet toe tap while he's hunting as well. It's like he's just so excited to chase down crickets he can't hold still =p

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
    It's so cute, and on a toadlet, knock me over! Banjo (uki too) are already adorable when fixated on prey, but when she wiggles her toes, it's almost too much. "Gonna eat that gonna eat that gonna eat it eat it eat it" is what I imagine she's thinking and maybe tapping a beat.

I have pics I wanted to post of their new water bowl and hide cave, but apparently I can't upload. Maybe this will work....
    https://www.facebook.com/crystal.fn....01646033085425
    wild hearts..."

Mmfh

I love your toads!!!! Cant wait to see mine toe wiggle, sounds so cute! I found a little quarter size toad this spring. I'm feeding him on small crickets, giant springtails, bean beetles ( that he loves), and pill bugs. I currently have so many springtails I have no idea what to do with them all. They are very easy to keep, let me know if you need the details got mine from bugsincyberspace, cheap.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hey Crystal, how's the T. girls? Didn't know if maybe them have gone down for the winter or not.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by kueluck View Post
    Hey Crystal, how's the T. girls? Didn't know if maybe them have gone down for the winter or not.
    They're both well, fat and active, but not as nutty aggressive as over the summer. I got moss for them as well as new hide and soaking bowl, and furniture was a hit but working so much it took some time to get moss in there. Uki was fine with it but Banjo refused to sit or burrow unless I cleared a space for her. So, perfectly good moss, tossed. That lil girl has the final silent say.

My father died last month. It's almost not right to say it was unexpected, but it really was. Dialysis related blood infection. He survived a massive stroke, kidney failure, and had an implanted defibrillator. Over the last 8yrs. He coded, they revived him, but unconscious, he went into cardiac arrest and they couldn't bring him back. I swear that if he hadn't been unconscious, he would still be alive. My dad was a fighter, a survivor. I got a lot more than the genetic disease from him. That's my takeaway.
    So I had to go home for 3 days (home is NJ) and fed toads til they just sat swallowing, full, left fresh water, had Paul peek at them, and they were fine.

Right before all that, Walmart had NO worms, so I panicked that they weren't getting more so bought dubia and mealworms. Walmart did restock, (turns out my complaint that they were mostly moldy got things moving, yeah go me!) but the gals were roach happy up until yesterday when I ran out. I hid them, in box and container they arrived in, so sort of in plain sight... Felt bad, cuz he doesn't want roaches in his house, but at the time, I felt I didn't have a choice. Fatties gotta eat.

I really miss my breeding dubia. Someday, some way... Cuz with no bug faces to feed, my carrots go bad. Not breeding creepy crawlies is just wasteful.

Thanks for inquiring about them; I've meant to update, but I don't get email notifications anymore, so tonight I just wandered over here on a whim. Ought to do that more often.
    wild hearts..."

Nationality
    [United States]

So sorry to hear about your loss, at least she got to live out the last of her days in a great home

Sent from my RM-915_nam_usa_228 using Tapatalk
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

16. This member thanks MatthewM1 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

I buried her behind house where ground was not frozen solid and before heavy snow. Did not open box to look at her, just dug hole till I hit rocks, pretty deep, and just wide enough 'for equal box.. wasn't able to dig by baby tree, too frozen, even using very hot water. So frustrated, nearly cried that she'd be stuck in my freezer like a hot pocket for who knew how long. It's snowing right now, feels like it hasn't stopped.
    But I grabbed the shovel and made damn sure she's be at rest. My gallbladder needs to come out soon so it hurt but the next morning we had 6 to 8in of snow I think. So I'm glad she is at peace, in a way. Used dirt I'd saved from a tank cleaning, plus what I dug up. The grass will grow back more beautiful than ever. And she's right under the plug for heat wire with some stones that reminded me of her coloring. So I'll never forget.
    Banjo seems fine, eating but not a lot, burrowing a lot, but soaking and pooping.
    wild hearts..."

Nationality
    [United States]

I don't think you'll be able to forget about her even if you tried. Love never dies, but it's intensity does change. I'm sure Banjo is gonna be just fine.

Nationality
    [United States]

Banjo is doing fine, so whatever happened to Uki, didn't get to Banjo. I would like tothink, old age, but I just don't know.
    She's eating, but ignoring the big Canadian worms they both used to love. The only other thing I have for her are mealworms and that suuuuuucks.
    Going to have to order more roaches and/or waxworms. She's also pooping, and soaking, and burrowing but also sitting on or hiding in the hides. Normal toad stuff. She's got her kingdom back, tho it was never just hers; I bought the super big one when I knew I'd be adopting another. I'm still sad, but my little baby girl seems to have gotten over the mourning that she never actually did.
    wild hearts..."

Nationality
    [United States]

That's a toad.......suck it up and move on. No new pics?

Member needs to set country!

I just joined and I read the comments. It looks like Uki had a good life. Feel better.

22. This member thanks likelittledinosaurs for this post:

Thread Information