Thread: Should I euthanize my frog? :(

mintyfresh

Default Should I euthanize my frog? :(

Hey all,

I've posted a lot lately, so you probably already know about my situation. My ACF hasn't been able to use his back legs for over a week now, and seems to be suffering from uncontrollable (and extremely painful from the look of them) seizures/convulsions. He hasn't eaten in a LONG time, looks incredibly emaciated, and is constantly shedding thick slime. I try to change his tank water/remove the slime but he seizes nearly every time and I can't stand to see him in pain. I am leaning toward euthanasia but obviously I want to try everything I can beforehand to save him.

My question is, though, is it moral to prolong his suffering if I don't know if he will get better? :'( I have no idea what to do.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Should I euthanize my frog? :(

If he is not getting better, he is paralyzed and starving. I would have to agree that this frog should be euthanized. Obviously you would know better than anyone on this forum if the frog is suffering and from what you said it sounds like he is.

If you have a vet that will see herps then I guess I would try that but I know finding a vet to see a frog is pretty rare..

I'm not sure what the most humane way to euthanize would be, I think personally I would consult a vet on that or even take him to the vet to have it done.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Sorry to hear that he's not getting any better :(

I agree with everything that Michael said. If you can't get him to a vet or speak to a vet about him then this link might be useful:

http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...tml#post124199

It's an old post I just found about the most humane ways to euthanise a frog. If it doesn't link you to it directly then look for post number 36.

mintyfresh

Thanks for the info, guys. But I do feel terrible...is there any other alternative? I don't actually know what he has, and I was reluctant to try anything without knowing because of possible negative side-effects. A vet visit would cost around $60-$65 and I don't start my job until next week--being a university student as well, I am very short on funds. Do you think euthanasia really is the best way?

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi and so sorry for what you and your frog are going through, I don't know your situation, can't help or advise much nor I know a thing about ACFs.
    but only you can make this call, if you decide it is time for him to go, get clove oil and add it gradually to the water a frog is in until it is over, poor some in, mix, wait a little, then add some more and so on, it will help him go peacefully without suffering. It is the best to do it in something that you are not going to use again, clove oil is not something you can clean easily.

That is so sad....
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

maxQ

This is so, so, so sad. I hate to hear about any critter in pain.

Thread Information