Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pyxie hiding hut.

NialR35

Default Pyxie hiding hut.

I was using one of those natural looking half logs for my pyxie but I have noticed they accumulate a lot of mold since the humidity is always at 80% in the terrarium and it's hard to avoid misting it because it's pretty big. Do pyxies really need a place to hide like these huts/half logs or I should be fine with my fake plants? I have a big one in the middle of the terrarium and those forest leaves with suction cups hanging to provide some more shade. In any case, what do you guys use for "cover/hiding spots" ? I really would like something for a hiding place but this log is not doing it because not only the mold creates potential problems but it's also falling apart...

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Pyxie hiding hut.

Used similar hideouts with Pixies; but IMO they are not essential for their well fare. Duncan had one and used it to hide sporadically. Removed it a few weeks ago and frog is healthy, eats, nothing really changed. My recommendation is to remove it and observe frog just in case; but should be fine .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

They don't NEED one. Mine has an exo terra fern which he sits under. It's artificial so doesn't mould. He never sits anywhere else except for under the bowl on rare occasions.

Nationality
    [United States]

They don't need one like everyone has said, but will utilize the large fake granite rock hides. Günther is under his over half the time.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    They don't need one like everyone has said, but will utilize the large fake granite rock hides. Günther is under his over half the time.
    I've seen some reptile hide rocks at pet stores; but not anything Gunther would fit in. Do you have pics or a name brand? Thank you !

NialR35

I second Carlos, I have not seen anything large enough made out of granite. Which one are you using Grif?

NialR35

Also any of you guys using UTHs? I've noticed that they BARELY add any warmth to the terrarium so their efficiency is not that good.... so I was wondering if any of you guys use them at all?

Will I be okay if I disconnect them and only use my 50w bulbs for heat? I figured since I have a dimmer on my lamps, I could stop using the UTH that's mounted on the side and just raise the dimmer a bit. What do you guys think because I need to save some electricity? lol

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Quote Originally Posted by NialR35 View Post
    Also any of you guys using UTHs? I've noticed that they BARELY add any warmth to the terrarium so their efficiency is not that good.... so I was wondering if any of you guys use them at all?

Will I be okay if I disconnect them and only use my 50w bulbs for heat? I figured since I have a dimmer on my lamps, I could stop using the UTH that's mounted on the side and just raise the dimmer a bit. What do you guys think because I need to save some electricity? lol
    Just using a heat bulb is fine for them, as long as the air temperature is still ok then they don't need UTHs. I only use bulbs for mine and when I pick him up I can feel the warmth from his body.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    I've seen some reptile hide rocks at pet stores; but not anything Gunther would fit in. Do you have pics or a name brand? Thank you !
    This is his hide. You can see his belly a little. I believe it is an Exo Terra.

Name:  0831130903.jpg
Views: 1407
Size:  65.0 KB
    Last edited by GrifTheGreat; September 21st, 2013 at 11:30 AM.

11. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Grif's cave the Exo Terra X-large. Does he dig his way in or can he actually fit through the door?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Truffs1178 View Post
    Grif's cave the Exo Terra X-large. Does he dig his way in or can he actually fit through the door?
    What I do is elevate it slightly on the sides so that the opening becomes a little larger and either he squeezes his way in or I make a small channel below the entrance so he can climb inside. He loves it.

NialR35

What I do is elevate it slightly on the sides so that the opening becomes a little larger and either he squeezes his way in or I make a small channel below the entrance so he can climb inside. He loves it.
    Lol I was wondering the same thing as Jack. Are you also using just lamps Grif or you use a UTH as well?

NialR35

Quote Originally Posted by Truffs1178 View Post
    Just using a heat bulb is fine for them, as long as the air temperature is still ok then they don't need UTHs. I only use bulbs for mine and when I pick him up I can feel the warmth from his body.
    Thanks Jack! I think I'm going to disconnect the UTH and just use the dimmer lamps. I think it should be fine too because I live in FL and my house temp is normally around 77-78F during the day so the lamp should be enough to raise it to the low-mid 80s.

NialR35

This is his hide. You can see his belly a little. I believe it is an Exo Terra.

Name:  0831130903.jpg
Views: 1407
Size:  65.0 KB

Awesome tip Grif! I always saw these at Petsmart but never thought they would be okay for a pacman/pyxie since the entrance did not look big enough but if its working for your little monster that's awesome to know. It's a lot more reliable than the wooden logs that break apart/grow mold very fast.

I will get one myself too but I'm wondering if it will fit in a 10G tank because that's where my pyxies are as of now. I started with a 10g for my brand new pyxie because either way they grow fast and I did not want to waste money on a critter keeper but I know something like this will for sure provide extra security for this little one. I feel bad because so far he has dug to little tiny holes next to the big plant and goes in there hahahahaha.

Nationality
    [United States]

Think Colleen/Jerrod showed an ExoTerra Reptile Cave in Extra-Large size (has a depression on top). Although have not seen that size in person, imagine it won't work inside a ten gallon tank.

Nationality
    [United States]

Lol I was wondering the same thing as Jack. Are you also using just lamps Grif or you use a UTH as well?
    I use both.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Think Colleen/Jerrod showed an ExoTerra Reptile Cave in Extra-Large size (has a depression on top). Although have not seen that size in person, imagine it won't work inside a ten gallon tank.
    I believe 10 gallons are only 10" wide and my Tetrafauna is 12". So no it won't fit a 10 gallon. It's wall to wall in mine.

Nationality
    [United States]

Awesome tip Grif! I always saw these at Petsmart but never thought they would be okay for a pacman/pyxie since the entrance did not look big enough but if its working for your little monster that's awesome to know. It's a lot more reliable than the wooden logs that break apart/grow mold very fast.

I will get one myself too but I'm wondering if it will fit in a 10G tank because that's where my pyxies are as of now. I started with a 10g for my brand new pyxie because either way they grow fast and I did not want to waste money on a critter keeper but I know something like this will for sure provide extra security for this little one. I feel bad because so far he has dug to little tiny holes next to the big plant and goes in there hahahahaha.
    Carlos is right. It won't fit a 10 gallon because they're not wide enough.

NialR35

So I went to Petsmart and found this

Its 8.5"L x 7"W x 3.5"H so it should last me for a while until my pyxie gets bigger. I just wanted to provide that extra comfort zone which is crucial for the growing period. The inside is pretty big and so is the entrance, should be good enough until my pyxie is 3.5" SVL or so.

@Grif: You mentioned that you elevate your hut on the sides so Gunther can get in it. I found this and not sure if you have seen it but it's HUGE and will for sure allow your Pyxie to get in there without any problems or squeezing himself in there and well...it looks pretty cool too!

All Living Things&reg Shell Hide - Sale - Reptile - PetSmart

The measurements are 12"L x 9"W x 5"H size and the inside is FULLY smoothed out so totally reduces the chance of any injury/cut.

So with that said, where do you guys recommend me to play this hut? On the cold side or warm side? Will placing it under the lamp cause the inside of the hut to overheat? Thanks!
    Sorry for the picture heavy post

SCF

[Name:  IMG_0048.jpg
Views: 1325
Size:  106.3 KB

I make mine with those flat rocks they sell at the LPS, and a hot glue gun with non toxic glue. I also cut new plastic pots in half, makes two hides.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information