Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pyxie hiding hut.

SCF

Default Re: Pyxie hiding hut.

I do have that first gray one as well, but it's a snakes home. I'm pretty sure they are not cheap either? Some ridiculous price...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

NialR35

Quote Originally Posted by SCF View Post
    I do have that first gray one as well, but it's a snakes home. I'm pretty sure they are not cheap either? Some ridiculous price...
    I paid around $12 bucks because it was on sale. It's not too bad for the 3-4 months it will last me lol.

SCF

Yeah, I just couldn't remember. I think mine was more, idk. Is that for the older or the baby?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

...I also cut new plastic pots in half, makes two hides.
    This is a good idea because those hides in their larger sizes are expensive !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by NialR35 View Post
    So I went to Petsmart and found this

Its 8.5"L x 7"W x 3.5"H so it should last me for a while until my pyxie gets bigger. I just wanted to provide that extra comfort zone which is crucial for the growing period. The inside is pretty big and so is the entrance, should be good enough until my pyxie is 3.5" SVL or so.

@Grif: You mentioned that you elevate your hut on the sides so Gunther can get in it. I found this and not sure if you have seen it but it's HUGE and will for sure allow your Pyxie to get in there without any problems or squeezing himself in there and well...it looks pretty cool too!

All Living Things&reg Shell Hide - Sale - Reptile - PetSmart

The measurements are 12"L x 9"W x 5"H size and the inside is FULLY smoothed out so totally reduces the chance of any injury/cut.

So with that said, where do you guys recommend me to play this hut? On the cold side or warm side? Will placing it under the lamp cause the inside of the hut to overheat? Thanks!
    Sorry for the picture heavy post
    I've seen this, BUT Günther being as large as he is I needed a hut that he could stretch out in and this is why I bought the Large fake rock. It has a much larger interior and is as wide as it is long. It also has good height so he can sit up if he wants to, but he goes in and digs a hole.

You can place the hut on the cool side since they would seek shelter in something like this to cool off. It is ok to have the water dish on the warm side since the majority of the time the area in which they bathe is exposed to the sun. Plus water is highly resistant to heat so it won't match the ambient air temp. This is also determined by how you heat the tank.

NialR35

This is what I ended up doing, let me know if you guys think it's a good idea.

Name:  20130922_121923.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  61.6 KBName:  20130922_122010.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  67.6 KB

I ended up putting the hut on the left next to the heat pad only because it was either that or the water bowl....and I'm scared that when the frog gets bigger and so will the water bowl, it can splash water on the glass where the heat pad is and crack it. So as you can see in the pictures, the left side would be the warm side and the right side would be the cool side. The dimmer dome is in the middle of the tank landing on top of the plastic plant to provide some shade.

I was hesitant about putting the hut on the "warm" side but if you think about it, most of the time frogs like to burrow under the plant, and most of the time people place the heat lamp on top of the plant to provide some shade yet enough heat. So I don't think it's a bad idea to place the hut on the warm side because either way the plant covers the entrance, making the inside cooler since the light doesn't hit in there. I had to move my hanging plant to the far right on top of the water bowl because they are too big for the 10 gal and when I placed it in the middle wall it would provide way to much shade and make it really dark, covering the probe so temps would be off a bit.

Oh, by the way can Pyxies handle hotter temps than pacs? Or the same rule of 82-day/78-night still applies for babies?

Let me know what you guys think!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by NialR35 View Post
    This is what I ended up doing, let me know if you guys think it's a good idea.

Name:  20130922_121923.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  61.6 KBName:  20130922_122010.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  67.6 KB

I ended up putting the hut on the left next to the heat pad only because it was either that or the water bowl....and I'm scared that when the frog gets bigger and so will the water bowl, it can splash water on the glass where the heat pad is and crack it. So as you can see in the pictures, the left side would be the warm side and the right side would be the cool side. The dimmer dome is in the middle of the tank landing on top of the plastic plant to provide some shade.

I was hesitant about putting the hut on the "warm" side but if you think about it, most of the time frogs like to burrow under the plant, and most of the time people place the heat lamp on top of the plant to provide some shade yet enough heat. So I don't think it's a bad idea to place the hut on the warm side because either way the plant covers the entrance, making the inside cooler since the light doesn't hit in there. I had to move my hanging plant to the far right on top of the water bowl because they are too big for the 10 gal and when I placed it in the middle wall it would provide way to much shade and make it really dark, covering the probe so temps would be off a bit.

Oh, by the way can Pyxies handle hotter temps than pacs? Or the same rule of 82-day/78-night still applies for babies?

Let me know what you guys think!
    The glass shouldn't crack. The water would have to be pretty cool to cause that and if that was the case then misting would crack the glass.

They can handle higher temps, but it is best to remain in the optimal range.

NialR35

Yeah, I just couldn't remember. I think mine was more, idk. Is that for the older or the baby?
    I got it for the baby because the older one can burrow on his own already.

Pheathers

About hides, I've been using black plastic flower pots from Walmart. They're cheaper than most hides you find in pet stores and they're nice and roomy.

NialR35

So I decided to remove the hideout I bought for the baby because after 10 days, I just noticed white mold accumulating inside of it so I don't think this will work out. As of now he's already making tunnels for himself alone which I'm surprised since he's really young.

Is this white mold dangerous for frogs? I guess with the humidity that I try to keep at 80%, mold was bound to happen inside a semi-ventilated hut, but is it hazardous for them? I removed all the eco earth that had white mold on it but still let me know.

Nationality
    [United States]

I use terra Cata pots works wonderfully never molded
    -Tyler
    1-African BullFrog-Rex
    1-Bearded Dragon-Stubble
    1-Vield Chameleon-Pascal
    2-Green Iguanas- LeeRoy and Spike
    2- Sulcata Torts- Chunk and Scoot
    1-Argentine BWxRed Tegu-Kirby

Nationality
    [United States]

The white mold is harmless. It feeds of decaying organic matter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information