Thread: need help for setting up 75 gallon half and half tank for Pyxie frogs

deathbypyxie

Default need help for setting up 75 gallon half and half tank for Pyxie frogs

needing help on starting to setup 75 gallon pyxie frog tank and need help on the heating part I don't use UTH cause there risky and had bad experiences with them and I have my 40 breeder tank dialed in but I want to setup a 75 and need some ideas on what wattage bulbs and how many to use I already have the water feature figured out so if anybody got a 75 gallon setup that's fine tuned can you help me out

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: need help for setting up 75 gallon half and half tank for Pyxie frogs

I'm going to bump your thread up.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: need help for setting up 75 gallon half and half tank for Pyxie frogs

Hello and welcome to FF! Although I do not have a 75G running with a Pixie (mine fits fine in a 10); did design and got all the gear for one last year. Presuming you will go with a mix of water and dry (mine was 2/3 water and 1/3 dry) you will need to estimate the actual volume of water and get a heater for that volume. Do ensure the heater can't be reached by frog to avoid possible burns. Can set the water heater around 79-80F; personally love the Ehiem's and have them in all my fish tanks. Water will give heat off to air above so that will help out.

For the dry area; my favorite is a ceramic heat emitter connected to a controller. Just make sure the controller can handle the emitter's wattage. Another option is to use emitter with a dimmer dome like the Fluker's. Once you get the water section heat under control and the humidity set in; then is the time to start experimenting with the emitter wattage. Since the room temperature will affect the final emitter requirement, it will take a little bit of trial and error. I'm pretty sure you will need at least a 150W rating. Do talk to shop you buy it from and check you can bring back and trade for different watt model until you get it dialed in.

Another option would be to use heat tape (more efficient than heat pads) connected to a controller. Although a 75G has a pretty thick glass; splashing water on hot glass is not what I think of good idea, so would locate the tape on the dry side. Obviously you can combine heat tape and heat emitter lamp too. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

deathbypyxie

Yeh i was thinking of using a ceramic heat emitter with a thermostat and a brooder dome by zoomed but would it hurt to put it over the water side and a daylight incandescent heat bulb on the land side and if not what watt water heater should I use cause the water side is 2 foot of the tank and gonna be 5 inches deep and I have a fluval canister filter for the filtration I'm just a perfectionist when it comes to my three pyxies and I don't want anything to happen to them cause I take top notch care of them and thanks for the tips and the room temperature in my house stays around 74degrees farenheit

Nationality
    [United States]

Sorry missed your second question. You have a volume close to 10 gallons, so recommend a Eheim Jagger 50W heater to raise temp 10F above ambient. With water heated it will help raise humidity and overall enclosure temp. Can experiment with ceramic emitter position until you find what is best for set-up and frog. Remember to place heater out of frog's reach.

If enclosure looks dark and for observation, think a longer lamp fixture like a fluorescent T8 or T5 is better than a single incandescent bulb. Can also use LED strips but those are more expensive initially with 36 in. fixtures running around $100 and up.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information