Thread: Pie tray metal safe long term?

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Pie tray metal safe long term?

I got these pie trays for making a pie and realized how perfect they could be for my pyxie... there is no sharp metal its all rounded, there brand new, sloped and perfect depth. Im wondering if the tin or aluminum could start to rust corrode or oxidize thru time in any way or cause sickness to my frog. Im not sure if they are aluminum or what they are as i threw out the packaging but im guessing aluminum. Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Eel Noob

Default Re: Pie tray metal safe long term?

Quote Originally Posted by bcreps View Post
    I got these pie trays for making a pie and realized how perfect they could be for my pyxie... there is no sharp metal its all rounded, there brand new, sloped and perfect depth. Im wondering if the tin or aluminum could start to rust corrode or oxidize thru time in any way or cause sickness to my frog. Im not sure if they are aluminum or what they are as i threw out the packaging but im guessing aluminum. Thanks
    It should be ok. Just make sure to clean it really well till you can't feel any oily/slippery residue on the surface of the tray. I currently use what looks to be plastic paint trays from Michaels. I have used these in the past. The benefit is you have three trays so if anything happens to one you'll have extras handy, or if you have more than one frog.

Amazon.com - Sterilite ClearView 3 Storage Drawer Organizer

Name:  61RuQGR0IjL._SL1280_.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  32.7 KB

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by Eel Noob View Post
    It should be ok. Just make sure to clean it really well till you can't feel any oily/slippery residue on the surface of the tray. I currently use what looks to be plastic paint trays from Michaels. I have used these in the past. The benefit is you have three trays so if anything happens to one you'll have extras handy, or if you have more than one frog.

Amazon.com - Sterilite ClearView 3 Storage Drawer Organizer

Name:  61RuQGR0IjL._SL1280_.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  32.7 KB
    there clean i bought them brand new and im pretty sure theyll be fine i just dont want the metal to break down or release and kill my frog. thanks for the response. i was looking at that exact unit the other day, there nice id consider keeping my ball pythons a bigger version theyd love it

Eel Noob

Quote Originally Posted by bcreps View Post
    there clean i bought them brand new and im pretty sure theyll be fine i just dont want the metal to break down or release and kill my frog. thanks for the response. i was looking at that exact unit the other day, there nice id consider keeping my ball pythons a bigger version theyd love it
    Reason I mentioned cleaning tray real well is if you ever wash any tupperware or anything new there's always a slick/slippery feel to them at first and goes away after a good scrub. I think by the time you need to worried about rust or anything, they would of needed to be tossed for being too dirty from prolong use. The thing I would be more worried about is, I believe some cookwares are coated with none stick sprays/products that might leach into the water and may be toxic to frogs.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by Eel Noob View Post
    Reason I mentioned cleaning tray real well is if you ever wash any tupperware or anything new there's always a slick/slippery feel to them at first and goes away after a good scrub. I think by the time you need to worried about rust or anything, they would of needed to be tossed for being too dirty from prolong use. The thing I would be more worried about is, I believe some cookwares are coated with none stick sprays/products that might leach into the water and may be toxic to frogs.
    oh i see.. thats a good point thats why i posted, i didnt think about that.

Thread Information