Thread: Do you let your frog sleep?

DeltaElite121

Default Do you let your frog sleep?

I'm just curious at the routine you guys do in this regard. Sometimes my frogs like sleeping and I usually let them sleep for a week or so at a time if they decide to do it because it will slow down their systems and allow them to fatten up. Particularly for the smaller babies. That's my theory on it, anyways (which may or may not be correct).

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [France]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Do you let your frog sleep?

What do you mean by "sleeping" ? Burried ?

African Bullfrogs are frogs who intend to burry several months per year (Roughly 9 to 10 months in nature).
    So if your frogs burries, this is typical and normal behavior, especially for an adult.

When my frog burries, I wake her up to make her defecate if she didn't before burrying, or, to clean the tank.
    Otherwise, if the tank is clean and if she has defecated her last meal before burrowing, I let her until she wakes up by her own. I only check periodically if she is still alive. This can be for several months...
    1.0.0 Ceratophrys ornata CB
    0.1.0 Pleurodeles waltl CB
    1.0.0 Pyxicephalus adspersus CB

Nationality
    [United States]

Regardless of temps and humidity levels they will attempt to aestivate/brumate as they see fit. You can let them or not, but they will do this eventually.

I let them and just check on them.

DeltaElite121

Yes, I meant aestivating I suppose. I'm not entirely sure that's the right term though considering they wake up several days to a week later on their own with no changes, really. I just notice they burrow and close their eyes completely until they're hungry and come up from the substrate.. so, "sleeping" if you will.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaElite121 View Post
    I'm just curious at the routine you guys do in this regard. Sometimes my frogs like sleeping and I usually let them sleep for a week or so at a time if they decide to do it because it will slow down their systems and allow them to fatten up. Particularly for the smaller babies. That's my theory on it, anyways (which may or may not be correct).
    i dont know whats wrong with your frog but if a baby can "sleep" for over a week. that is not good. those little guys need to eat almost everyother day to be healthy. Mine is over a year old and has never slept for more that a few hours or so. mine has NEVER slept for more than a day. In the wild these guys only burm for a few months, not more than 4 months. you have something wrong going on. Mine is always wanting to eat,winter, spring, summer, fall, it doesnt matter. so from my experiance, these frogs should always be alert and ready to eat, if mine starts to do anything different i would become concerned.

DeltaElite121

Quote Originally Posted by mattfish View Post
    i dont know whats wrong with your frog but if a baby can "sleep" for over a week. that is not good. those little guys need to eat almost everyother day to be healthy. Mine is over a year old and has never slept for more that a few hours or so. mine has NEVER slept for more than a day. In the wild these guys only burm for a few months, not more than 4 months. you have something wrong going on. Mine is always wanting to eat,winter, spring, summer, fall, it doesnt matter. so from my experiance, these frogs should always be alert and ready to eat, if mine starts to do anything different i would become concerned.
    They aren't lethargic, and they eat plenty willingly every day provided their head is above ground. By baby, I mean my youngest at 4.5 months. The other is closing on a year. I have three and they're all healthy. I'd venture my new substrate depth has more to do with it than anything, personally.

Nationality
    [United States]

In the wild adults sleep anywhere from 7 to 10 months. In some areas they remain in aestivation for over a year.
    Babies should not be allowed to aestivate in captivity. Accidental death can happen easily.

NialR35

White Tree Frog?

NialR35

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaElite121 View Post
    They aren't lethargic, and they eat plenty willingly every day provided their head is above ground. By baby, I mean my youngest at 4.5 months. The other is closing on a year. I have three and they're all healthy. I'd venture my new substrate depth has more to do with it than anything, personally.
    I'm sure it's very related to your new substrate depth. I remember adding a couple more inches of substrate in my last cleaning and my frogs would burrow for 2-3 days which kinda annoyed me because I couldn't find them and I did not want the extra substrate to encourage aestivation. I know they would stay in there longer if I didn't get them out so I followed Grif's advise to only provide enough substrate for the frog to cover itself without going 2-3 inches under the surface.

Thread Information