Thread: Types of water conditioner

daemon

Default Types of water conditioner

Hey,

I just got my first pacman frog this past Saturday. I made his enclosure and everything seemed fine, then after reading the forums I realized I should have used a conditioner to treat my tap water before using it for the water bowl and substrate (ecoearth coco fiber). So I am kind of worrying as he seems fine for now but last night I put in crickets and he didn't eat any of them. His temperatures are 80-85F and his humidity is around 82. I have betta fish water conditioner and after researching, it seems like they are the same thing or close enough? I have top fin betta water conditioner and it neutralizes ammonia, chloramine and chlorine. It also promotes healthy slime coats. I was wondering if I could use this instead of reptisafe or should I head out asap and pick that up instead?

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Types of water conditioner

Hello and welcome to FF! As long as the conditioner you've got does not have aloe should be OK. You need to replace the water on dish and the substrate because chloramines in water or substrate will affect frog. It's not something you are going to see before damage is done. I use a Seachem product but ExoTerra Aquatize is very good too and made for frogs.

Since your substrate is new; what you can do is remove it, place on clean open bag, and let it dry. Then when using for next change, prepare it with 2X strength dechlorinated water so it's slightly damp (clumps in fist but does not leak water out). Can use safely then. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

daemon

Hey,

The ingredients in the top fin water conditioner are as follows: Water, EDTA, PVP, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Thiosulfate, Glycerin. I just wanted to confirm those things won't harm my frog? And yes I will definitely switch out the substrate and water bowl asap doing what you mentioned about letting it dry out. Thanks a lot!!!

reptileszz

Darnit, when I realized the same mistake I replaced all the brand new eco earth. Could have just reused. Oh well. Lesson learned.

Carole

Nationality
    [United States]

You can use that.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [France]

Aquatize from Exo Terra is fine as said Carlos. This is what I use (In water bowl and spraying).
    1.0.0 Ceratophrys ornata CB
    0.1.0 Pleurodeles waltl CB
    1.0.0 Pyxicephalus adspersus CB

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Types of water conditioner

Since youve gotten great advice already, I'll share a tip once youve picked your water conditioner:

This may be common sense, I've found that it makes my life a little easier to keep a gallon jug of pre-treated water available to refill my dish, misting bottle and dropper bottle (for pacmanfood) since I am usually doing all of this in the early morning before I head to the office. I use one of the nice clear plastic ones from bottled water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. This member thanks Yarjammer for this post:

dubbean

I agree with Yarjammer but I reuse the 2.5 gallon dispenser water containers. Use the water that comes in it for yourself then cut a 1-2" hole one top, fill it with tap water, and add water conditioner. It is very easy to use this way and lasts awhile.

HornedFairy

I do something similar to this with his misting bottle. I premix the "Aquatize" drops with the water and store it in the bottle for quick misting or refilling of his pond after a cleanup.

Thread Information