Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Citrus new setup.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Citrus new setup.

I had a spare Exo Terra so I decided to move Citrus into it because it's better for keeping humidity in it. It has deep substrate and a heat bulb for heat. The plant is a Pothos plant and i will be covering the two sides with black paper or something. Do you guys have any improvement suggestions? Also I know the plant is toxic if eaten but will water that's sprayed onto the plant be a threat if it drips into the substrate? On the last picture I show whit the torch where I hope he will spend his time.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Citrus new setup.

Citrus is growing fast and has a nice big head ! Think you can start looking for a bigger bath now. Good luck to plant, because Citrus can pretty much squash it with a jump.

Water dripping from plant into substrate is of no concern. If Citrus jumps for a cricket on leaf and ingests a piece of it; that's another story. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

reptileszz

This is very interesting to me. Pothos is on the list of safe plants for reptiles yet not on the "edible" list. I have kept pothos in various reptile enclosures over the years with no ill effects. And tortoises have picked at them. It does say causes irritation if eaten in large quantities. I'm guessing since frogs are more sensitive it is probably highly toxic for them.

Thanks for the heads up!

Carole

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't use black for a covering, I would use a aquarium type background.
    When my packman was small he always tried to go to the side that had the heat pad on the
    enclosure that was black even if it was off. and the other sides had aquarium background.

As far as the plant I have never had live plant with him since he always burrowed and could
    dig up the plant.
    I don't think the frog is in any danger from the plant but the plant could be the victim here.

I agree with not using black. My baby pacman attacks food reflection off the side I have the heat mat on. Just on the side that's black from the heat pad.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by reptileszz View Post
    This is very interesting to me. Pothos is on the list of safe plants for reptiles yet not on the "edible" list. I have kept pothos in various reptile enclosures over the years with no ill effects. And tortoises have picked at them. It does say causes irritation if eaten in large quantities. I'm guessing since frogs are more sensitive it is probably highly toxic for them.

Thanks for the heads up!

Carole
    they are not toxic and are safe to use, but big frogs=big amount of waste, add to this their digging ability and size of a frog in comparison to a plant as well as the fact that you need to take it all out to change the substrate once a month, low light environment, all that makes any live plant questionable idea in a big fat frog tank
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Thanks guys for the help. I will use a jungle kind of background and when it starts to die I will go back to a fake plant. Lija why do you think they are not toxic?

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

I just went to look because I just got back from school and he has buried himself.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by reptileszz View Post

Thanks for the heads up!

Carole
    They are toxic if eaten, but you still don't eant any of the fluids from the plant getting on the frog's sensitive skin. Any and all dead or molted leaves must be removed.

Nationality
    [United States]

That pothos should hold up just fine. I've been digging up and replanting mine every month for several months now with no ill effect on the plant. I wouldn't worry about the frogs waste effecting it either. The pothos that my pac digs down next to grows at 2x the rate of the one further away.

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

Nationality
    [France]

Nice set up.
    Is it a 12"x12"x12" tank ?
    1.0.0 Ceratophrys ornata CB
    0.1.0 Pleurodeles waltl CB
    1.0.0 Pyxicephalus adspersus CB

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Yes it is. It's an Exo Terra mini. One up from the nano.

Orlauskas

I liked this one more, because of nice colours . But what about keeping them two? As looks like from eyes, she feels lonely .

Hypnotic

Horned frogs don't feel lonely, they are only scared or hungry.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Lol of course she feels lonely, just give her food and she'll stop being lonely lol oh those hungry puppy eyes lol
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Here are some more pics. Btw Citrus is a he not a she. What temp should a soak be for Citrus? I always make a slightly warm, dechlorinated bath with some honey dissolved in it but he never poops in it. He hasn't pooped for about two weeks but has eaten a rat pup and three huge nightcrawlers in that time. The soaks just seem to fill him with energy as when he goes back into his tank he hops around for a while before settling again.

Orlauskas

Amazing I maybe would like to keep one of them did they need same conditions like dart frogs?

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by Truffs1178 View Post
    Here are some more pics. Btw Citrus is a he not a she. What temp should a soak be for Citrus? I always make a slightly warm, dechlorinated bath with some honey dissolved in it but he never poops in it. He hasn't pooped for about two weeks but has eaten a rat pup and three huge nightcrawlers in that time. The soaks just seem to fill him with energy as when he goes back into his tank he hops around for a while before settling again.
    I never actually get temps readings, I stick my finger in there, if it feels slightly warm I use it. Works for me none of mine poop in there too, after bath I place them in their water dishes, they go there.... or not

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by Orlauskas View Post
    Amazing I maybe would like to keep one of them did they need same conditions like dart frogs?
    no, not ever close . I think they are easier then darts and for sure more interactive.

Check this care sheet Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Quote Originally Posted by Orlauskas View Post
    No they need different setups unfortunately. Don't keep the two together either or else bye bye dart frogs.

Pacmans eat anything that moves.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information