Thread: Help with native frog from Arkansas

carsona246

Default Help with native frog from Arkansas

Hey everyone,
    I'm new to frogs, but I have kept axolotls before(I'm also big on fish). My fiance called me while at work, and apparently found a green tree frog in the parking lot of her place of work that does not look like it's doing too well. She has it in a cup right now that has wet leaves. I haven't seen the frog(other than a blurry cell phone picture), but I do have an empty twenty gallon high with the proper lid for frogs sitting in my attic right now. I was wondering if it would be better for the frog to be released into the wild(there are a few nice parks with water around here) or if I should keep him. I've always been interested in tree frogs, but I've never kept one, and clearly am not prepared to house one at this exact moment. I'm not sure what the opinion is of keeping wild caught animals in the frog keeping community, but I know catching anything from the wild and keeping it is generally frowned upon.
    I was hoping I would get some advice/opinions from this forum on whether I should immediately release the frog, or whether I should keep it for a while until it recovers, or just keep it. I'm honestly not even sure what the exact care requirements are for Tree frogs, so I thought I'd ask real quickly. Unfortunately I'm still currently at work, so I'm not going to be able to do any research until I get home.
    If the frog turns out to be just fine when I get home, I'd also love some advice on what type of area would be a good spot to release it in. I'm assuming a parking lot is not a desirable habitat.
    thanks for any help

carsona246

Default Re: Help with native frog from Arkansas

I have a class right after work, so I'm in a bit of a rush. Cleaned out the 20H and put a bowl of dechlorinated water in the tank with him. Added some leaves to the tank to help him feel more at home. He's got a bowl of dechlorinated water, a cup he is currently hiding in, and I'm gonna grab some crickets on the way home from my class so he can have some food. Let me know if I'm forgetting anything crucial.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hello and welcome to FF! Will need a pic to try and identify frog before discussing care for it. We have no issues with members keeping frogs from the wild; but you should check with your state fish & wildlife website to ensure it's legal to capture and keep. Some members catch and release many tadpoles/frogs after getting them started or recovered and at times keep one or two as pets. Good luck and let us know !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

carsona246

I made a post in the tree frog subforum, but thought it wouldn't hurt to include some photo's here as well. He's getting way more active, and ate a cricket(which was awesome to watch!)
    Would love some help IDing him.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

That is Hyla cinerea, one of the tree frogs native to your state . We don't have a full care article yet; but can read some info here or search net: http://www.frogforum.net/care-sheet-...a-cinerea.html .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

6. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

Thread Information