Thread: Possible to over feed a juvenile C. Cranwelli?

mpmackenna

Default Possible to over feed a juvenile C. Cranwelli?

I have had my frog for a couple of weeks. I offered about a two inch piece of night crawler tonight via tongs and after a little nose rub action the frog ate it. Then it occurred to me that the frog already ate a few crickets the night before and he/she looks a little bloated. Is there danger in feeding too much? I am also attaching a couple of crappy phone pics so you can see the frog and let me know what you think. What about leaving crickets in the tank. It seems there are always a couple of stragglers hopping around, is that a problem?
    Also I measure 2 inch SVL what do you think that makes the age of this frog?

Thanks.

1. Size of enclosure -- 10 Gallon -- Part blocked off so as to not stress with the big enclosure, seems to be settling in fine.
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences --- just the pacman and a couple of crickets at the moment
    3. Humidity -- 80%
    4. Temperature -- 83F/Day 78F/night
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish -- Tap treated with de-chlorinator
    6. Materials used for substrate -- Eco-Earth
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv. -- Water dish and a hide. -- washed and sanitized with a little vinegar (read that is a good idea, please correct if wrong)
    8. Main food source -- crickets, night crawler chunks
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often) -- RepCal Herptivite and CalciumD3 supplement. I rotate 2 calcium for every one vitamins and dust every other feeding. I think that is what I heard on a IvoryReptile vid.
    10. Lighting -- Incandescent red light for additional heat. Some indirect sun light during the day from a nearby closed window.
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure -- Zoo Med UTH... on the side and the incandescent bulb.
    12. When is the last time he/she ate -- about 10 minutes ago.
    13. Have you found poop lately --- Sunday night
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine) I will attach a couple of crummy cell phone pics
    15. How old is the frog -- You tell me -- a juvenile of some sort -- measures 2inches SVL
    16. How long have you owned him/her -- about two weeks
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred -- Captive
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats. Just crickets and night crawler chunks so far. I also order some of the Zoo Med Pacman food to try.
    19. How often the frog is handled. -- A couple times so far to coax it in to the water dish for a soak
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area. -- Fairly low traffic. It's my office.
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc). I change dish water every day and substrate every few weeks to a month. I rotate squeeze and fluff eco-earth once a week.

Name:  IMG_20130910_200141_283.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  98.4 KBName:  IMG_20130910_200146_737.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  110.4 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Possible to over feed a juvenile C. Cranwelli?

Pacmans do not overeat normally. Would not feed more than once a day for a two inch frog. Once it reaches around 3.5 in. you might note a less than enthusiastic response to food; that's your signal to start feeding every other day.

I don't leave feeders on enclosure once frog stops feeding and remove any remaining ones. Crickets can bite frog or pester it by walking over it's body. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

mpmackenna

Default Possible to over feed a juvenile C. Cranwelli?

Thanks. I will remove uneaten prey and keep feeding to regular 24 hr intervals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Ah looks like he needs to poop! Feel his right side does it feel hard?

mpmackenna

Quote Originally Posted by danfrog View Post
    Ah looks like he needs to poop! Feel his right side does it feel hard?
    That is kind of what I was thinking. It doesn't feel hard, kind of squishy. I just coaxed him in to the water dish to see if a soak will help.

Kk. Might be because he is full too. They are pretty good at not over eating.

Oh yeah! Being a Cranwelli feed at night an hour or so after lights out. If you wernt tracking. But offer food nightly till it gets its fill (usually with a headbutt, or turning away).

mpmackenna

Quote Originally Posted by danfrog View Post
    Oh yeah! Being a Cranwelli feed at night an hour or so after lights out. If you wernt tracking. But offer food nightly till it gets its fill (usually with a headbutt, or turning away).
    Define "headbutt", please.

Kinda like a fast push away with its snout.

Hypnotic

My Tona is a voracious eating machine, I know he eats 3 locusts exactly, when I offer more, he bites down but releases again. Headbutting looks funny, it's the pacman thrusting forward with it's head. It looks like an attack on prey but with a closed mouth. How many crickets do you offer normally? If he still eats after you've allready fed him on the same night, I think you need to drop a few more!

Thread Information