Thread: Beginner! How much do I feed my little guys?

MelissaL

Default Beginner! How much do I feed my little guys?

Hello!
    I have recently become the proud owner of 3 beautiful Pacific Tree Frogs. Someone caught them for my kids, and I ended up keeping them for me! They have a lovely new home and I have done SOME research, but my question is this: I have what I think is one adult (about 2 inches) and 2 young ones (about an inch long). They enjoy their crickets! But I am worried I am over or under feeding. The big one (Kermit) eats 4 per night and Charlie and Hopper both eat 2. They are small crickets. Any help you can offer would be very appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Beginner! How much do I feed my little guys?

Hi Melissa! Crickets should be sized same as distance between frogs eye's. That means your bigger frog will be eating smaller crickets that it can handle. Also, be aware that most frogs will eat smaller frogs that fit in their mouths .

You can feed all crickets they will eat in one seating without leaving leftovers. By using a small glass bowl (around 2 in. deep) you can keep crickets in one place and monitor all frogs are eating better (crickets won't escape).

Remember to dust crickets with CA/D3 2X and vitamins 1X weekly on different days with skip day in between. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

4. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

MelissaL

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Hi Melissa! Crickets should be sized same as distance between frogs eye's. That means your bigger frog will be eating smaller crickets that it can handle. Also, be aware that most frogs will eat smaller frogs that fit in their mouths .

You can feed all crickets they will eat in one seating without leaving leftovers. By using a small glass bowl (around 2 in. deep) you can keep crickets in one place and monitor all frogs are eating better (crickets won't escape).

Remember to dust crickets with CA/D3 2X and vitamins 1X weekly on different days with skip day in between. Good luck !

Thanks for your response! I had never heard of frogs eating smaller frogs before you sent me this. I came home today to find the little guy was gone. I don't see anywhere how he could have gotten out...I'm pretty sure big guy ate him. I am so very saddened by this, and my kids are as well! Did he eat him because he was hungry, or do you think little guy was sick? I've only had them for about 4 days and he was very good at hiding so I didn't see much of him. As I have another small frog in there I am a little worried to leave them together! Thanks for your help!

rikkitiger

I beg to disagree about this a bit. My little american green tree frogs easily fit into my larger one's mouths, but as long as they all eat fine they dont bother each other much. I would still keep an eye out for the little bugger. I was convinced one of my little ones had been eaten for almost two full weeks, then i had to do a deep cleaning, i moved a bit of substrate and there he was! So they can hide very easily when they are that size. All my frogs are well and fine too, he just had his own little nest down there.

And congrats on the frogs, i am sure they are very happy!

MelissaL

Quote Originally Posted by rikkitiger View Post
    I beg to disagree about this a bit. My little american green tree frogs easily fit into my larger one's mouths, but as long as they all eat fine they dont bother each other much. I would still keep an eye out for the little bugger. I was convinced one of my little ones had been eaten for almost two full weeks, then i had to do a deep cleaning, i moved a bit of substrate and there he was! So they can hide very easily when they are that size. All my frogs are well and fine too, he just had his own little nest down there.

And congrats on the frogs, i am sure they are very happy!

I would really like to think he is in there....but I took everything out of the tank....he is not there

Thread Information