Thread: Just making sure I have things close to right before getting started

fish4all

Default Just making sure I have things close to right before getting started

Tank will a 20 gallon tall, likely mostly if not completely water with islands made out of something. I have an idea for the islands but have to get my hands on the material first.
    Internal filter, looking at Aquatop IFE-20, Ovation 700 or similar with a spray bar option so I can make a waterfall.
    I might set up a section for plants like peperomia or pathos.
    I have food taken care of, Dubia roaches in a good growing colony, thanks again Demon amphibians! (I still may have some extra adults to send back to you)
    I do plan on having duck weed, water lettuce and or many other water plants.
    Lighting will be full spectrum compact fluorescent bulbs

The only real question I have that I can't find an answer to is how do you feed them in such an environment? Will they chase baby roaches on top of the water? Do I just put the roaches on the islands and let them chase them? I assume the roaches will wind up in the water but they will also be looking for a way to get out and hopefully the frogs will find them! And with that, when I dust the roaches, the dust may/will get washed off so how do I know that the frogs are getting the nutrition they need and added vitamins and minerals and such? Do FBT do pretty good at feeding from a dish if I can make it low enough for them to get in and out of? (If I can find a place to put a dish in the enclosure after I get it set up.)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Ajuki

Default Re: Just making sure I have things close to right before getting started

You can choose to remove them for feeding and place them in a critter cage or something similar with a lid.

I drop crickets right in my water set up. They generally stick to the land area and my guys will chase and snipe them from the water. They'll also go affter ones trying to swim.

For worms I use a mealworm dish (the edges are rounded so the worms cant escape). They hop in and chow down with no hesitation.

The dust will stay on the worms in the dish. If youre worried about it washing off of the roaches the removal method might be best for you.

fish4all

Default Re: Just making sure I have things close to right before getting started

Okay, one thing I ran into in my research that has be asked before I start any designs. Can I have a mostly water tank and have ledges and islands that are undercut or float and not worry about the frogs getting trapped or not finding their way out from underneath? Nothing with air pockets or holes, just flat spots over the water mainly to add a little terrain without adding gravel. If I do decide to go this way is it best to have them free standing or is it okay to make them against the glass in areas?

fish4all

Okay, sorry but one more question. When it comes to calcium with D3 and vitamin/mineral supplements how long does it need to be between the two if there is any need to dose separately. Some sites say yes, others don't say anything.

Ajuki

I've seen them with the floating islands and with build up. Personally I built up mine, however they'll be fine with the ledges as long as there's enough in the water for them to get a hold of. Firebellies like to float rather than dive, they've always got a hand on something lol. I would put some type of substrate (enough to cover the bottom) or on a brighter shelf to encourage brighter colors.

Popular rule of thumb in this community is to dose separately. There's a great reply by Sherry here : http://www.frogforum.net/fire-belly-...tml#post174080

fish4all

I knew I saw it somewhere on here, thank you Ajuki for finding it, I had lost it and it was not gonna let me find it again.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by fish4all View Post
    ...The only real question I have that I can't find an answer to is how do you feed them in such an environment? ...
    Can get a small glass bowl, around 2 in. deep at dollar store or similar and partly bury it in substrate. Neither roaches or crickets will get out. Will need to wipe every now and then because dust from supplements will stick to sides and then insects will be able to climb up the walls.
    Quote Originally Posted by fish4all View Post
    Okay, sorry but one more question. When it comes to calcium with D3 and vitamin/mineral supplements how long does it need to be between the two if there is any need to dose separately. Some sites say yes, others don't say anything.
    Use CA/D3 2X and vitamins 1X weekly on different days with skip day in between. For example CA/D3 on Mon & Fri and Vit on Wed. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

fish4all

If i have much if any soil in the enclosure I can do that but if I don't I have to come up with another way to contain the roaches, if I try to so the frogs can eat them.

Thread Information