Thread: Help with Gray American Tree Frog

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Help with Gray American Tree Frog

Hi All; I posted in this forum awhile back. I have a Gray American Tree Frog that started from a tadpole. I have had it as a frog since at least December. I have attempted to follow all of the instructions that were given me by the kind members in this forum, which includes adequate ventilation, fruit flies, calcium, water, etc. I have a nice porous fabric over the top of the enclosure, so I know that there is air exchange. I am using fruit flies from Josh's Frogs. I shake them with the calcium at least once a week. I don't mist, but there is a little bowl of water, and I see the frog get into and out of it almost every day. For a long time it just kept getting bigger, and the "tummy" (sorry for imprecise terminology) was nice and round. When I put the flies in the enclosure the frog would respond immediately, and would start to go after them. I remember my lesson on "poop" and I definitely saw it deposited on the glass and plants. I would hold the frog frequently - several times a week, and it was content to sit on my hand.

All of the sudden, though, there has been a big change. The "tummy" is no longer plump, and the frog doesn't show much interest when I introduce the flies. I am not seeing obvious signs of "poop," either. The frog also stays on the bottom of the enclosure, that is covered with a coconut substrate, instead of being on the glass or plants. If I pick it up, the frog still seems active, and will sit on my hand. In fact, if I hold it too long it will jump back into the enclosure. It just doesn't look "right" to me anymore. I don't know how else to describe it.

I saw one of the Gray American Tree Frogs outside the other day on my deck, and I kept going back and forth, inside to outside, comparing size, shape, etc., and I have decided my frog just doesn't look right.

I am wondering if anyone has suggestions for me, and what I should be trying or doing differently from what I am doing now.

I appreciate your help.

Furcat

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Help with Gray American Tree Frog

If it's big now then it will probably ignore fruit flies - you may need to feed it on something else (like small crickets). I would suggest getting some from a local pet store just to see if this does the trick.

As to why it's staying on the substrate, that indicates to me that it's not very humid in the terrarium - are you misting regularly? I hope the ventilation is adequate too.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you. I will try the crickets. The frog really isn't very big, so that's why I have been sticking with the fruit flies, but maybe it no longer is interested. I have plenty of places where I can buy crickets. And, I will start misting right away. I'll pick up that when I buy the crickets. I'll work on the ventilation too.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Best of luck with everything .

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you, but I think I have run out of luck. My little frog doesn't have the energy now to hold onto things. I have it on the floor of the enclosure on something stable, but it isn't moving. If I pick it up, it still moves it's legs, but, obviously the outcome is not in doubt at this point.

This is very depressing. I got through at least 6 months, so I had to have done something right, but, I wasn't able to keep it going. I am not sure exactly what I did wrong, either. Maybe it was the ventilation.

I will try again, but next time I am getting a better terrarium. Hopefully my frogs will lay eggs again this year in the horse trough where they have for 2 years now, and we'll have another batch of tadpoles.

I really want to thank everyone on this forum for your help. If it wasn't for the people on here, and your willingness to share your advice, I would not have made it this far with the frog.

Furcat

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Sorry for the sad outcome, Furcat. I admire you for trying to get to the root of the problem and being willing to try again. Temperate climate tree frogs like Grays really do need good ventilation.

Kurt

And so do the tropical ones. I am very sorry for what has happened.

Skulldroog

Bummer man. Good luck in your future adventures.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks everyone. I just posted some photos of one of them in my flower pots in another thread. I was outside late evening yesterday, and I saw another one in a different pot. The place where they have been putting the eggs every year is right around the corner, so hopefully there will be a new batch of tadpoles this summer.

Thread Information