Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: wild animals vs pet store feeders, are they both safe for pixies to eat?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: wild animals vs pet store feeders, are they both safe for pixies to eat?

according to your logic then all white people should die if they drink mexician water. that is so far from the truth it is laughable. there are many many white people especially missionaries who, over time, can adapt to it. now if they drink tons of it all at once, then yes they will get violently ill. but if its done little by little, how you say, "woohoo" they are okay and can slowly drink more and more. That is adapting which happens with every living thing slowly over time. The best is if you start when your young. you take a frog and every 10th feeding add a market bought local fish, then every 9th then 8th and so on. same with everything else. if you use only healthy wild animals this risk becomes less and less. then WOOHOO you have a old frog that is not only healthy but almost indestructible to anything. The risk is in fact low and will become lower and lower over time just like when any new culture moves to a different land. some cant handle to total sumergion into foreign areas but most do. you have not taken "adaptation" into your equation and might want to look into what i am doing in a different way to understand it fully.
    thanks for the info, i really like the woohoo. (:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

nok1888

Default Re: wild animals vs pet store feeders, are they both safe for pixies to eat?

The whole point is, why take the risk if there's no need to? I've fed hundreds of mice n rats to my snakes and only ever questioned one so it was binned. Vets may be able to cure parasites but why cause all that stress to your animal.

You seem to think your frog will out live others, I fear the poor frog is going to pay for your mistakes.

Also, claiming that wild animals are as safe as controlled breeding is just being ignorant

-------------------------------------------
    2.0 Border Collies - Jinky and Chance
    3.0 Cats - Monty, Dodger and Crunchie
    1.1 Royal Pythons Orlina and Sedrick
    0.1 BCI Boa - Aasia
    1.0 Western Hognose - Hagrid
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - iiara

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nok1888 View Post
    The whole point is, why take the risk if there's no need to? I've fed hundreds of mice n rats to my snakes and only ever questioned one so it was binned. Vets may be able to cure parasites but why cause all that stress to your animal.

You seem to think your frog will out live others, I fear the poor frog is going to pay for your mistakes.

Also, claiming that wild animals are as safe as controlled breeding is just being ignorant

0.1 BCI Boa - Aasia
    Thats whats cool about this forum. i think it will be around for the next 20 years so time will tell! I think people have blinders on when they are assuming that store bought is safer than a healthy wild critter. you can call me what ever you would like, but in time we will see. I have had a Hippo tang (marine fish) live for 12 years now. I have a toad stool coral that is almost 17 years old under my care. so a frog that is nutritionally complete will easily live for many many years. I may have different techniques but so far i have never been terribly wrong. i believe the risk i am taking is so small you need a microscope to even kind of see it.

nok1888

Well I pity the frog

Unsubscribing to this topic, it's pointless

0.1 BCI Boa - Aasia

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nok1888 View Post
    Well I pity the frog

Unsubscribing to this topic, it's pointless

0.1 BCI Boa - Aasia
    I wish you wouldnt. this topic is important for all the sickly under nurished frogs out there. I want to get them healthy and happy. people read your opinions and then read my common sense reponses and they feel better about feeding there hurting frogs some healthier diet plans. Healthy wild animals are not only fun to get but fun to feed. Plus have you seen my Mr. Pickles lately? His color is so deep and rich and he NAILS anything i put in front of his face so fast you have to slow the video down just to see the action accurately. I have an idea, come up with some questions for me to answer and then you might be blown away with how much common sense i give as a response. dont give up

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by mattfish View Post
    according to your logic then all white people should die if they drink mexician water. that is so far from the truth it is laughable. there are many many white people especially missionaries who, over time, can adapt to it. now if they drink tons of it all at once, then yes they will get violently ill. but if its done little by little, how you say, "woohoo" they are okay and can slowly drink more and more.
    You shouldn't mis-interpret the quotes of others. In no where did DeltaElite121 say that all people would die under those circumstances - they said it would result in an epidemic and sickness. When I was in Peru I contracted Cholera from eating a few pieces of salad that had been rinsed with the water in Lima... I did not drink a ton of water at once. It was residual water on the salad from being rinsed and I still contracted the illness (and it was not fun, I should say!).

Anyway. You are entitled to do whatever you wish with your frog, and as has been stated (exhaustively, may I add) no one is saying you are a terrible owner...perhaps a bit stubborn [ ]...but not a terrible owner. One fear I have which may be shared amongst other members is the impact these suggestions have on new keepers. Keep in mind the sad truth that the majority of new frog owners do not do adequate research before buying and merely lurk on the forum or find answers to questions with a quick google search. By telling everyone it is okay to feed Wild Caught in its entirety, you can portray the wrong message to folks who may not be as careful about what they are feeding. I've been contributing to herp forums since 2003 and believe me, I have seen my fair share of cases of pet reptiles and amphibians who have succumb to some issue when fed a W/C prey item... be it a lightning bug, an insect that is toxic or feeds on a toxic host plant, or a parasite/pathogen that was picked up from feeding something; such as pinworms, hookworms, and flukes. For the majority of keepers, it is both safer and more practical to feed captive-bred.

As has been noted (exhaustively by both sides) there is a risk to ANYTHING you feed. But to think there is less risk from a wild feeder compared to a captive-bred feeder is just downright silly. And again, there really isn't a need to build some kind of immunity to strengthen the organism when it is in a closed, captive environment that shouldn't result in introduction of said pathogen in the first place. The benefit of your methods is nutritional diversity, not adaptive immunity.

Put simply: most of us just think the risk of feeding W/C outweighs the nutritional gains...especially those of us who already offer a plethora of different food options to promote variety. I think we will just have to agree to disagree here, because both parties are standing firm. As far as I'm concerned, unless someone has something DIFFERENT to add that hasn't been repeated numerous times in this thread already, the topic is dead.
    -Jeff Howell
    ReptileBoards ( Branched from The Reptile Rooms )
    "If you give, you begin to live." -DMB

8. 2 members thank JeffreH for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Jeff,
    thank you for posting that info. I am not trying to fight and since i have received no positive responses i will quit. I respect you all!!!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Jeff,
    thank you for posting that info. I am not trying to fight and since i have received no positive responses i will quit. I respect you all!!!
    with this problem poking its head back up again with someone feeding some bad pet store bought silverside frozon feeder fish, I thought i would readdress this issue.
    JUST BECAUSE YOU BOUGHT SOMETHING AT A PET STORE DOES NOT MEAN IT IS SAFE FOR YOUR FROG!
    I still prefer chinese grocery store foods over pet store junk! if it is safe for human consumption then it is a very very safe bet it is better quality than low standard pet store stuff! plus it is alot more fun to pick out weird food for your frog there. try it!

Cap10Squirty

Hmmmm....safe for humans = safe for frog?

Have you heard of sodium tripolyphosphate? It's a preservative that is found in nearly every single one of these "chinese grocery store foods" in particularly seafood. You can avoid it by buying fresh seafood that has not yet been packaged.

Oh and sodium tripolyphosphate is used in laundry detergent......................................... ......

12. This member thanks Cap10Squirty for this post:

Tongue Flicker

I've been feeding my fish freshly killed bloody mosquitoes, my newts with small moths that i catch in my bathroom, my ACF with house spiders that i personally hunt and my turtle with earthworms underneath my plant pots with no ill effects. Depends on your neighborhood and country where you're getting your wild feeders.

14. This member thanks Tongue Flicker for this post:

Kelsieb

I wish you wouldnt. this topic is important for all the sickly under nurished frogs out there. I want to get them healthy and happy. people read your opinions and then read my common sense reponses and they feel better about feeding there hurting frogs some healthier diet plans. Healthy wild animals are not only fun to get but fun to feed. Plus have you seen my Mr. Pickles lately? His color is so deep and rich and he NAILS anything i put in front of his face so fast you have to slow the video down just to see the action accurately. I have an idea, come up with some questions for me to answer and then you might be blown away with how much common sense i give as a response. dont give up
    Unless you live in Africa then you are not in fact feeding your AFRICAN pixie frog a 'natural' diet. The fact that you think your risky diet is so superior than a captive diet that all frogs not eating it are sickly and under nourished is delusional and, quite frankly, insulting. You are gambling with this wild diet and the fact that you are gambling with an innocent animals life kinda ticks me off. I can see and understand why some people have a short temper with you. I just hope your frog doesn't suffer from your ego trip.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information