Thread: Selecting a Baby Pacman on Pet Stores

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Selecting a Baby Pacman on Pet Stores

A forum’s member stressful experience with his Pacman baby had me thinking about what I’ve seen in local shops throughout the year . Following discussion is based in my observations at 4 different chain pet stores and 2 additional non-chain local pet shops in my area. Also discussed are three known Pacman frog ailments: Toxin Out Syndrome, Metabolic Bone Disease; and Water Edema Syndrome . The included warning signs, will hopefully help members minimize the risk of acquiring a troubled animal. There is no discussion of treatments, because the goal of this write-up is to help you not get the unhealthy frog to begin with .

From the size of some frogs arriving locally this year; these frogs recently absorbed their tails. We can hope they started eating before being shipped; but maybe not . In a perfect captive world, metamorphosed baby Pacman frogs would receive proper care, food, and a stress free environment . In the real world they get sold to distributors and shipped to local pet store (LPS). When they finally arrive at local stores, baby Pacmans are sometimes placed in the wrong substrates (water, moss or chips), fed the wrong foods (crickets and pinkies the size of frog), and given no supplements . So let’s discuss the possible health issues that could affect the baby frog one by one; and then associate those with store care and maintenance methods.

Toxin Out Syndrome (TOS). This is a big threat to baby Pacman frogs kept with water dishes or in an aquatic environment . As we know, frogs don’t drink water, they absorb it through the skin. If that water is contaminated with urine, feces, or dead feeders; those toxins will go into the frog and it will become poisoned. Babies instincts won't realize water is poisoning them and will stay in the soiled water dish; or being kept in water, they can’t get out . TOS frogs will jump erratically, suffer spasms, and eventually become unable to move and perish ! Even if placed in clean water and recovered; the internal organs (Kidneys, etc.) can suffer permanent damage leading to other serious issues like WES (discussed below). So how do you spot TOS? Look at frog water dish and see if clean. A Pacman frog should be alert and react to handling . A listless frog with little to no reaction from enclosure movement or handling is a possible signal from TOS damage. IMO, baby Pacmans should not be kept with water baths in the enclosures . Daily changed damp unprinted paper towels (as in a hospital set-up) will provide humidity and are safer. Two stores in my area keep baby Pacmans in critter keepers with water to half their bodies submerged and a little stone, that is supposed to be used by animal to dry out . It’s common to see dirty water due to dead crickets, feces, and we know there’s urine there too .

Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD). In captivity frogs need supplemental CA/D3 . If not supplied the frogs physiology will draw CA from its bones and they will become soft and deformed . Signs to look for include a droopy lower jaw, failure to eat, muscle twitching, listlessness, and bone deformities. If you suspect MDB, ask the store employee what do they feed the frog with. If they don’t mention supplements; most probable they do not use them. Also, if store Pacman’s are kept in water; most probable they are not receiving additional CA/D3 supplements with feeders. Baby Pacmans are in a growing stage and for that to happen, need proper nourishment and supplements. Not receiving it's needs will result in chronic problems like deformities and internal organ damage. Frogs kept in water over slippery bottoms (glass or plastic) can also develop hip issues over time .

Water Edema Syndrome (WES). When a frog suffers edema, it will swell up with fluid due to kidney damage and losing the ability to regulate water in it’s body . This fluid will “give” when touched and neither feel solid (meat) or squishy (air from puffing). If you carefully move the enclosure, will actually see the fluid in frog moving like jelly. Symptoms will usually begin near the rear legs and spread from there. Two causative agents are dirty water (see TOS) and keeping Pacman’s in too cool temperatures. Even if causes are corrected and frog recovers; the organ damage is permanent and those frogs will usually live a short life . Appears other organs, like the frog’s Lymph Hearts, are damaged too, and can contribute to edema .

Hope this information helps some of you picking a healthier Pacman in a store or show. The other option is to mail order from a breeder and although have not done so before; think my next Pacman will be sourced that way, good luck !
    Last edited by Mentat; September 7th, 2013 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Grammar
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

2. 3 members thank Mentat for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Selecting a Baby Pacman on Pet Stores

Great post Carlos!!

You definitely covered the "big three" problems that frogs tend to suffer from in bad conditions. I would like to add a couple of other things to look for when selecting a new frog:
    · Clear, bright eyes – There should be two of them. The eyes should be alert, clear of any mucus or signs of infection, and the pupils should be reactive to light. If the eyes are distended (bulging out) or have any signs of redness, mucus, are bloodshot, or if the frog continually keeps its eyes pressed down into its skull then avoid.
    · Weight – A healthy frog should have a little bit of a potbelly even as a baby. Look for a nice round shape without being bloated up (WES) or having a hard bulging side (impaction). If the frog’s sides are concave and the spine, dorsal shield (boney plate on their back kind of like shoulder blades), and hips are easily visible then the frog is under weight.
    · Alert and responsive – It is ok if the frog shows signs of minor stress when the pet store employee removes the frog from its home. Slightly increased breathing, hunkering down and attempting to burrow further, puffing up slightly, or hopping away are all normal reactions. If the frog is unresponsive and limp or if it shows such extreme stress that it flips over or has seizure like symptoms then avoid.
    · Overall good appearance – The color should be bright not pale or sickly. Obviously healthy coloring varies depending on the color of the frog so it is hard to describe… But if it looks off to you, trust your instincts. Check that there are no visible signs of MBD or deformities. The mouth should be even and close tightly (no overbite, underbite, or lopsided jaws). The frog should be able to hold itself upright. If it can’t support itself or leans severely to one side then avoid. The spin should be straight and the hips even. There should be four legs and four feet. That may seem silly to point out, but people miss that sometimes, particularly the back feet as they may be hidden by a chubby belly. Missing feet could have been bitten off by siblings while they were frogletts or they may have never developed. A frog missing a foot may still have a long healthy life although trouble shedding or if it is a front foot trouble eating may occur since they use their front legs to hold food. Missing toes are fairly common and usually not a problem. As long as there is no open wound or sign of infection it should be fine.
    · Which brings me to open wounds and signs of infections – avoid purchasing any animal that has these unless you are fully prepared and capable to take care of the frog and deal with the consequences (ie, you may have to euthanize the frog if it is too ill)
    If you are unsure about the frog, ask an employee if you can take a couple pictures. Then you can share those pictures with your favorite frog forum. :-D

I know it is tempting to buy whatever frog the petstore has or to rescue animals that are being kept incorrectly (I have been guilty of this many times!), but often it is better to wait until you find a healthy specimen.

The other thing I would like to mention is that you will have a better chance of getting a healthy frog if you purchase it right after it arrives at the petstore rather than if it has been sitting there for a couple of months. For instance, I know that the Petsmarts in my area get their animals delivered on Fridays and put them on display by Saturday morning. The Jack’s Pets (local chain) in my area get their animals on Wednesdays and put them out for display on Thursdays. When I do get a frog from a petstore, it is almost always within 24 hours of them receiving it. This greatly cuts down on the likelihood of it having any of the above mentioned issues.
    Last edited by GrifTheGreat; September 7th, 2013 at 03:00 PM.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Selecting a Baby Pacman on Pet Stores

Thanks for your input Colleen/Jerrod ! The part about limbs is important because it's easy to oversee. Recently a nice looking Samurai/Albino cross arrived at a LPS; sadly with what looked like a broken front leg. Saw frog recently and has recovered somewhat using the leg better; but you can still see that leg is different from the other.

The idea to get frogs as soon as arrival into LPS is good and myself have bought both fish and tarantulas (not frogs yet) still on their shipment bags or containers. This at least prevents one additional transfer and reduces stress to animal. I'm planning attending a local (Newport News, VA) show tomorrow. Maybe find something nice in there and will definitely put into practice all we have discussed here !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information