Thread: Need alternatives to nightcrawlers

mafoo

Default Need alternatives to nightcrawlers

Hello, today I am beginning to think that my pixie frog is getting bored of nightcrawlers. He has not eaten for just over a week and it seems to be his eating schedule is once a week or so, only when he is hungry enough. After a month of this I have began to think what is wrong and I am assuming that when I got a bad batch of nightcrawlers and tried to pick the good ones out he got a bad one and got turned off of them. Today I gave him a pinky mouse to see and he ate it right away, threw a few crickets in and the exact same result. Tried nightcrawlers and he has no interest whatsoever. I am not sure what to feed him as I know you cannot feed mice to much due to them being fatty and crickets seem to be to small for him now that he is just about full grown. I could try and get hornworms or silkworms, although they are hard to get here most times. Cant get roaches in Canada, even though they would be perfect for the animals I keep. The only thing I could really see using would be superworms as I feed them to my bearded dragon as a staple so I always have some in the house. Any suggestions on what else to try to use as a staple feeder for him would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Need alternatives to nightcrawlers

All roach species used as feeders are banned in Canada?
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

mafoo

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    All roach species used as feeders are banned in Canada?
    Well, I am pretty sure not all are banned, although I know for sure dubia roaches are. I havent really heard of any other roach types that are as nice to breed as dubia, but if there is it is definitely an option.

Nationality
    [United States]

Would find out what roaches are legal and start a colony of those. Locally have seen Hissers, Peppered Roaches, Discoids, and others for sale.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

mafoo

It seems to me that all the good roach types are illegal here. Every one you mentioned is illegal and from a quick google search it seems like the only ones that you can keep are pretty much not an option for me as they could start an infestation. Is there any other options other then roaches that I could breed?

demon amphibians

Quote Originally Posted by mafoo View Post
    It seems to me that all the good roach types are illegal here. Every one you mentioned is illegal and from a quick google search it seems like the only ones that you can keep are pretty much not an option for me as they could start an infestation. Is there any other options other then roaches that I could breed?
    that is odd how roaches are illegal. I am not arguing that they are banned but. I am a dubia roach expert. And what i do know is they will not infest in your area. I live in San diego which is much warmer and much more humid and my escapes all turn up dead. It is not humid enough nor warm enough here and my house is in the 80's during the day while i am at work. there is no possibility of them infesting in the area in which you live. none the less if they are banned then it makes no difference. have you tried minnows? I know that is a touchy subject for some due the the fact most people cultivate them in a substandard environment. I would avoid gold fish however if you feed them as often as you fed mice you should be fine. just keep in mind that there is a risk of parasites if raised in a substandard environment. I have never had a problem with them. but crickets also have risks of parasites. do you tong feed? this may open up your options a bit.

mafoo

Quote Originally Posted by demon amphibians View Post
    that is odd how roaches are illegal. I am not arguing that they are banned but. I am a dubia roach expert. And what i do know is they will not infest in your area. I live in San diego which is much warmer and much more humid and my escapes all turn up dead. It is not humid enough nor warm enough here and my house is in the 80's during the day while i am at work. there is no possibility of them infesting in the area in which you live. none the less if they are banned then it makes no difference. have you tried minnows? I know that is a touchy subject for some due the the fact most people cultivate them in a substandard environment. I would avoid gold fish however if you feed them as often as you fed mice you should be fine. just keep in mind that there is a risk of parasites if raised in a substandard environment. I have never had a problem with them. but crickets also have risks of parasites. do you tong feed? this may open up your options a bit.
    Yes I do tong feed. Started doing it from the beggining and he likes it much better as he gets pretty turned off from coconut fiber in his mouth. What type of minnow would you suggest breeding? I do not think it would be a good idea to buy them from a store due to the rumors I have heard. Even if I feed minnows I imagine I would still be limited as to how often and it would not work as a staple since I remember reading somewhere they have the same fatty content as mice. Ill try and read up on this a bit more as I would not mind having minnows around for fishing bait.

mpmackenna

Whoa! So dubia roaches are banned in Canada because they fear infestation? Government really is a total waste of oxygen.

10. This member thanks mpmackenna for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Yeah, but I think someone long ago was afraid of infestation and not caring enough to look into the subject deeper, so they just figured, oh let's just ban them all.... Funny part roaches that can be pests here are legal lol since they're already here....

i'm wondering what kind of roaches can survive in Canada lol only those who are in power lol shhhhhh...... Lol
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Thread Information