Thread: Help with froglets, please.

Cypress

Default Help with froglets, please.

Ok, so I bought some tadpoles, read a million care sheets, and have been raising them for a month. The first got his front legs yesterday. I've separated him from the others, and have him in very shallow water. The tank is tipped so that only about 1/4 has water. I've read this method, and also the wet paper towel method. I don't want him to drown, but I don't want to pull him from the water if his lungs aren't fully developed. So, when EXACTLY do I move him?!? I kind of assumed he'd walk out of the water on his own when he's ready, but don't want to take any chances.

I have four more tadpoles whose front legs are about to emerge. So, any help would be appreciated. Seemed like the day would never come that they'd start morphing. Now that it's here, I feel so unprepared.

On another topic, how many freshly morphed froglets can I keep per gallon? I've read pretty consistent opinions on this, but wouldn't mind hearing a few more. I have WAY more tadpoles than I was expecting. I received 150% of what I ordered, and honestly didn't think they'd all survive. Not that I don't want them to, just didn't expect it. I bought 30, thinking I might end up with 10 frogs. I received 44 and 2 were eaten along the way. So, I still have 42 almost frogs! Oh, they are hyla chrysoscelis, by the way.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Help with froglets, please.

You're gonna love these guys. I raised 50 tads a few years back. I kept the water level up to 4 inch in the tank, then added small rocks topped with moss to one side, making a slope w/the stones. Also add in some branches for them to climb and cling to. They will climb out when ready and since they are tree frogs they will climb up the sides of the tank so make sure you have a tight lid on it so they don't escape. As for space with these guys they don't need a lot when little, but you will need at least 10 gallon per frog as adult, and since they are tree frogs you want to go higher than wides in tank size. The Exo Terra 18x18x24 works well for 3 to 4 of these guys. Have the fruit flies ready cause when the tail is resorbed they are little eating machines.

Name:  froglets 8-4-11.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  201.6 KBName:  froglets 8-5-11.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  80.7 KB
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

Cypress

He actually climbed out about an hour after I posted. I was just worried because he stayed in the water for about 24 hours after he got his front legs. I tried raising some toad tadpoles a while back so my kids could watch them morph. They had plenty of land area, and I checked them frequently. All seven still managed to drown. So, I'm completely paranoid about it. Have to love those sticky feet, though. When he decided he was ready, he didn't even bother with the slope. Just scaled the wall like it was nothing. I've moved him into a smaller container now. Once his tail resorbs, I'll move him to a 10 gallon.

I have no idea what I'm going to do with so many frogs! I have gray free frogs already. Wanted more. Was not expecting this many. I have a 10 gallon ready for them. I also have a 55 gallon and a 30 gallon I'm not using at the moment. I'll have to get those set up sooner than I thought. I was planning to use those for the frogs after they'd grown up. Looks like I'll need it sooner. The main reason I asked about how many morphs per gallon was because I only have the 10 gallon ready. I know they won't all fit. Just trying to figure out how long I have to set up the others. At least they're not all changing at the same time. I still have 5-10 that haven't even started getting their back legs yet.

I plan to get fruit flies as soon as his tail is almost gone. I just don't want to mess with the cultures before I have to. The recipe I have for media is so stinky. I also have been breeding crickets for the frogs I already have. I get about 200 new hatchlings daily. More than I needed with my current frogs, but still cheaper than buying from the pet store. The cricket breeding was half the reason I decided I wanted more frogs. Crickets have gone up to $0.16 in my area WITH a rewards card. No thanks.

Nationality
    [United States]

I guess you need to post a for sale/free to good home ad on the forum. Also what about local zoo's or science centers that have set-ups for amphibians. Honestly I've thought about getting the Cope's again, they are such wonderful little creatures. Good luck with the babies.

Cypress

I'll take all the luck I can get! And I'll probably try to find some of them homes eventually, but I do have room to raise them. I want to keep them as long as I can. Or I could always buy a new tank. I've had my eye on a 120 gallon on Craigslist.

Nationality
    [United States]

There ya go, 120 gallon should make several Cope's very happy. If you're close to NC I know someone who would take a few.

Cypress

Sorry. About 900 miles away. :-/

Nationality
    [United States]

Figures, not easy finding Cope's babies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Sorry. About 900 miles away. :-/

Thread Information