Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: A few questions regarding pacman frogs

  1. #1
    Delivor
    Guest

    Default A few questions regarding pacman frogs

    Instead of making a million threads this will be my thread where I will ask questions about pacman frogs if I need to.

    So my first quiestion is can I use ecoearth that I soaked up and broke down in non de clorinated water? I have a lot of ecoearth left over from my other tanks that I didnt use so I was wandering is it safe?

    Also what do I need to do with live plants to get rid of chemicals if they have any and is it safe to put in plants that are bought from a gardening shop?

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
     

  3. #2
    Moderator Mentat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA USA
    Posts
    5,939
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: A few questions regarding pacman frogs

    Quote Originally Posted by Delivor View Post
    ... So my first quiestion is can I use ecoearth that I soaked up and broke down in non de clorinated water? I have a lot of ecoearth left over from my other tanks that I didnt use so I was wandering is it safe?...
    Because of frogs water absorption through the skin, any substrate destined for them should be prepared with dechlorinated water. Still; you do not need to throw away the left over material. Recommend you open bag/s and let air dry. Then re-hydrate with just dechlorinated tap water (use 2X the recommended dechlorinator strength) until slightly damp and clumps on fist without dripping water out. It's ready to use, good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

  4. #3
    dubbean
    Guest

    Default Re: A few questions regarding pacman frogs

    Yes ecoearth is and excellent substrate.

    No. I don't recommend using plants from the garden store. Pathos plants cutting might be ok if you let them grow out and then cut off the new growth, rinse it well, and stick the trimming in the soil. It should take root. This is what I did from a preexisting Pathos plant I had. It is going well even if the trimmings do get dug up all the time.

  5. #4
    Delivor
    Guest

    Default Re: A few questions regarding pacman frogs

    Quote Originally Posted by dubbean View Post
    Yes ecoearth is and excellent substrate.

    No. I don't recommend using plants from the garden store. Pathos plants cutting might be ok if you let them grow out and then cut off the new growth, rinse it well, and stick the trimming in the soil. It should take root. This is what I did from a preexisting Pathos plant I had. It is going well even if the trimmings do get dug up all the time.
    The store I ment to buy them from uses only organic fertilisers and other stuff, not sure if that makes a difference? The list of plants I ment to use is baby tears, mosses, ficus pulmila and a few bromelliads. They are all non toxic as I know.

    @Carlos thanks for the help Ill be sure to do that.

  6. #5
    Hypnotic
    Guest

    Default Re: A few questions regarding pacman frogs

    All fertilizers are bad for frogs, you should get your plants at a store specialised for terrarium plants or you can even order them online.

  7. #6
    Moderator GrifTheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    9,697
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: A few questions regarding pacman frogs

    If the plants have been exposed to fetilizers they must be repoted and before you do so you must rinsebthe roots off really well with dechlorinated water then repot them and house them outside for 3 to 4 weeks to purge the plant of any chemicals. All watering should be done with dechlorinated water.


  8. #7
    Delivor
    Guest

    Default Re: A few questions regarding pacman frogs

    I just read that washing the plants in hypermangan makes them safe. Whats your oppinion on that?

  9. #8
    Moderator GrifTheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    9,697
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: A few questions regarding pacman frogs

    Quote Originally Posted by Delivor View Post
    I just read that washing the plants in hypermangan makes them safe. Whats your oppinion on that?
    It may cleans the outside of the plant, but it does not remove the toxins from inside the plant.


  10. #9
    Delivor
    Guest

    Default Re: A few questions regarding pacman frogs

    Ok, so ordering them from specialised stores is the only solution?

    Tnx for the help.

  11. #10
    Hypnotic
    Guest

    Default Re: A few questions regarding pacman frogs

    It's not the only solution, but it's the easyest. Grif has offered an alternate solution, wich I trust is just as good.

  12. #11
    Moderator GrifTheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    9,697
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: A few questions regarding pacman frogs

    Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotic View Post
    It's not the only solution, but it's the easyest. Grif has offered an alternate solution, wich I trust is just as good.
    Yeah it just takes longer, but the plant will be devoid of toxins after that amount of time.


  13. #12
    Delivor
    Guest

    Default Re: A few questions regarding pacman frogs

    So i just need to repot them into fertilizer free soil and wait 2-3 weeks and it makes them chemical free?

  14. #13
    Moderator GrifTheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    9,697
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: A few questions regarding pacman frogs

    Quote Originally Posted by Delivor View Post
    So i just need to repot them into fertilizer free soil and wait 2-3 weeks and it makes them chemical free?
    After watering with dechlorinated water that entire time.


  15. #14
    Delivor
    Guest

    Default Re: A few questions regarding pacman frogs

    Ive been thinking and I couldnt make up how do you fertilze plants that are in a frog tank?
    I was thinking about this https://blackjungleterrariumsupply.3...-oz_p_637.html It sais its frog safe.
    Whats your oppinion on it?

  16. #15
    Moderator GrifTheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    9,697
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: A few questions regarding pacman frogs

    Quote Originally Posted by Delivor View Post
    Ive been thinking and I couldnt make up how do you fertilze plants that are in a frog tank?
    I was thinking about this https://blackjungleterrariumsupply.3...-oz_p_637.html It sais its frog safe.
    Whats your oppinion on it?
    It could possibly be fine. A lot of plants will grow in coconut fiber fairly well though.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Pacman questions.
    By Truffs1178 in forum Pacman Frogs
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: June 22nd, 2013, 04:14 PM
  2. New Pacman, questions!
    By 4mb3r in forum Pacman Frogs
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: November 23rd, 2011, 06:54 PM
  3. questions about Pacman Frogs!!
    By julsShaw in forum Pacman Frogs
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: November 19th, 2011, 03:49 PM
  4. Questions about Pacman Frogs and housing
    By DonLisk in forum Pacman Frogs
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: August 10th, 2011, 12:37 PM
  5. Some Questions Before I get my Pacman
    By tattoofix in forum Pacman Frogs
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: July 24th, 2010, 12:13 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •