Thread: Adding another Pacific Chorus Frog question

bounce

Default Adding another Pacific Chorus Frog question

When I was a kid I would collect pacific chorus frogs weekly from this spot by my house.
    Well I'm going back for a visit and its been 10 years and I'm going to see if the frogs are still there. I have 1 frog at my place that is a PCF who is solo atm. She came from a petshop as a tad with some fish I bought.
    My question is: Is it okay to catch another frog and bring it home to keep with my current frog? Are there any diseases or slight geographical differences between this species that could make them unhappy or will they be okay together? Will a quarantine fix it?
    Thanks if anyone knows, not too worried about them going from "wild" to captivity since they are already in "cages" aka those electrical and water control boxes underground that are made of plastic... I'd just pop the lids off and catch several dozen and have had them when I was a kid with few problems.
    thanks frog the insight.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member lindsayshocking's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    West Sacramento, California, United States
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Adding another Pacific Chorus Frog question

Hey there!

Pacific Chorus Frogs are fun to keep. They're always full of personality and cute. I have 3 currently (2 girls, 1 boy).

Two that I caught were from the same area, so I put them together immediately. The male did come from an area about 400 miles away. I kept him separate for a couple weeks just to make sure he would eat and that he seemed healthy. After I put them together, everything seemed to go well. Now, about 5 months later I have 3 frogs who all seem to get along great. Overall, just make sure your frogs are healthy and as soon as you know they are, introduce them to their new friend

bounce

Well I went back to that sports park where all the frogs were at,
    I looked in a few of the ground holes and didn't find any for about 30 minutes of looking, when I was getting around to the last few I noticed one had taller grass and seemed extra moist around the tub. I figured it wasn't frog season after looking for so long without luck.
    When I opened that one I immediately saw a toad Ive seen there before, tan with black red and white spots and speks, not sure what kind it was. Decided if I couldn't find a frog I'd take a toad, well the toad ended up surprising a hiding frog and I caught the frog! Only 1, when there used to be hundreds, but its looking really good and is eating crickets, survived the 8 hour drive north and a week at home. Before I left I prepped a living tank with plants and now its ready so I put them both in and they haven't met face to face yet but they have both eaten a cricket within 5 minutes of being in there.
    I could have quarantined the wild frog longer but its already eating looks really good and energetic and its probably best to put it in there than keep it in a little tub for another week. Very cool stuff, very excited to see them interact and play!
    Thanks for the knows on the previous experience doing the same!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Do you have any pictures of the toad? Because you mentioned Pacific Chorus Frogs I would be interested in knowing what you found. I wonder if it was maybe a Western Spadefoot?

bounce

After looking online I think it a common type of toad, American toad or California toad, looks just like the California toad here
    Proof Gallery
    Ive seen them in the boxes with the chorus frogs before too maybe compatible.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

California toads are neat none the less. I am addicted to spadefoots, so that's the first place my mind always goes when someone mentions and unidentified frog/toad. :P

Thread Information