Thread: Help! African Clawed Frog advice needed!

Me

Default Help! African Clawed Frog advice needed!

For the past few days, my frog has been acting strange. It seems to have more trouble staying on the bottom, and it's not interested in food. He doesn't seem to be sweeled or bloated, but he's gone through stages of being fatter and then getting thiner since he was a tadpole. When I look at him from the side, his stomach seems more 'caved in' than usual, almost like he's hunched over.

I've had him for going on five years now, and I got him when he was a tiny tadpole. I've been feeding him the same food since he became a frog (some type of amphibian pellet). The same decorations have been in the relatively same position since I moved him to a bigger tank two and a half years ago. I did switch tanks a month ago, but the only real difference between them is the old one was plastic and the new one is glass.

Usually when someone walks in the room he freaks out and swims all over the place, but he barely reacts now. He would also go after food like he hadn't eaten in years, but doesn't even flinch when I repeatedly touch it to his nose. There are no vets that will work on a frog anywhere near me.

Please, someone help. I love my frog and I really don't want anything to happen to him.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Help! African Clawed Frog advice needed!

Do you have a water test kit.

if so what are the parameters PH, ect ect
    Use a new small ziplock sandwich bag to collect some water and take it to a local
    fish store, Not a petsmart or pet co go to a small pet store they will be happy to test your water.

What are you using to keep the tank warm.
    Did you change the location of the tank.
    is it close to a air conditioning vent?

N3XU5

Quote Originally Posted by Me View Post
    For the past few days, my frog has been acting strange. It seems to have more trouble staying on the bottom, and it's not interested in food. He doesn't seem to be sweeled or bloated, but he's gone through stages of being fatter and then getting thiner since he was a tadpole. When I look at him from the side, his stomach seems more 'caved in' than usual, almost like he's hunched over.

I've had him for going on five years now, and I got him when he was a tiny tadpole. I've been feeding him the same food since he became a frog (some type of amphibian pellet). The same decorations have been in the relatively same position since I moved him to a bigger tank two and a half years ago. I did switch tanks a month ago, but the only real difference between them is the old one was plastic and the new one is glass.

Usually when someone walks in the room he freaks out and swims all over the place, but he barely reacts now. He would also go after food like he hadn't eaten in years, but doesn't even flinch when I repeatedly touch it to his nose. There are no vets that will work on a frog anywhere near me.

Please, someone help. I love my frog and I really don't want anything to happen to him.
    Please set the country you are in.

Me

Will a pool test work? I haven't put the tank in a new spot in years. The room I have it in is usually around 70-75 degrees all year

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Sorry but pool test is not going to do much you really need a freshwater aquarium test kit so just take the water like I said to a local fish store they will be more than happy to test the water for you

Me

I don't have a place around me that will do it (disadvantages of living in the middle of nowhere) but I did change the water completely (I've done this a few times and my frog is fine with it). It's stomach is even more caved in and there is a whiteish filmy substance coming off its skin. He still doesn't show any interest in food, although he still seems to be able to stay on the bottom with a little effort.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Can you provide a pic of him and some details of the tank?

Nationality
    [United States]

Hello and welcome to FF! Well, without knowing details on your frog's tank it's going to be impossible to figure out what the problem is. Please try and answer as many of these questions as possible so we have an idea of what's going on. Thank you !

The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Tank Size and volume of water in it (full, 1/2 filled, etc.)?

2. Number of inhabitants including all frogs and any fish?

3. Water source and any conditioner treatments?

4. Water Temperature and how is it heated (if so)?

5. Water chemistry levels: pH; Ammonia (NH3); Nitrites (NO2); Nitrates (NO3)? Note that if you do not have test kits, most aquariums/pet shops will do complimentary tests if you take a clean water sample.

6. Describe any filter system including model and media?[/COLOR]

7. Substrate type?

8. Tank set-up (plants (live or artificial), driftwood, hide outs and other decor? - How were things prepared prior to being put into the tank?

9. Main frog staple food and any treats? How often you feed?

10. CA, vitamins, and any other additives used (how often)?

11. Lighting set-up and hours it's used?

12. When is the last time frog ate?

13. Have you found poop lately?

14. A picture would be helpful including frog and tank (any including cell phone pics are fine).

15. How old is the frog?

16. How long have you owned him/her?

17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred?

18. Any medications in the water (treatment dosis and for how long)?

19. Any salt in water (how much)?

20. Is the tank kept in a high or low traffic area?

21. Describe tank maintenance to include water changes, cleaning, media changes, etc.).

By Lynn(flybyferns), GrifTheGreat, and aquatic questions added by Carlos(Mentat)
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Me

I will post a picture when I get home

1. 10 gallon tank, over halfway full
    2. One african clawed frog
    3. De-chlorinated tap water
    4. Around 70
    5. NA
    6. No filter
    7. None
    8. Two fake plants, a large rock and several medium, and a plastic coral seaweed tunnel thing
    9. Reptile/Amphibian pellets, every few days
    10. No
    11. No specific lighting, but it is in a room that has lights on a lot
    12. 6 days ago (I'm starting to get worried)
    13. A little, but less than usual
    15. Almost five years
    16. Almost five years
    17. Captive bred
    18. No
    19. No
    20. Medium
    21. I usually change the water every other week, unless it seems really dirty

Nationality
    [United States]

Without knowing water conditions or seeing frog this can become a guessing game. Still, based in my experience, one adult ACF in a 10 gallon tank should have a well established filter (even if just an internal air driven sponge filter) to reduce the toxic effects of ammonia and nitrites. Weekly water changes are probably not enough and your frog might have been suffering the effects of these toxins for a long time. Chronic exposure to them can cause kidney and other organ damage.

Recommend you change 50% daily with same temperature dechlorinated water and get a filter for tank. Once filter is running, change 25% water daily until filter is seeded with bacteria that will reduce the ammonia and nitrites. Seeding cycle will take 30 days; but can be cut in half by using a product like Seachem Stability. Once filter is cycled, reduce water changes to 25-50% weekly and clean the filter media in water from aquarium during water change. Hope the increased water changes help your frog, good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Me

Name:  Frog.jpg
Views: 1534
Size:  69.4 KBPlease help! Here's the picture, he seems more buoyant on one side and still isn't eating. he can move all of his extremities and still stay on the bottom most of the time. he looks bloated in the picture but its just inn his abdomen and he looks skinny from the side. I'm really starting to freak out, so if anyone has ANY ideas PLEASE help!

Me

I posted a picture

Nationality
    [United States]

Did you find a solution?
    Мy darlings :
    0.2.0 Calico and Tuxedo cats Ksyenja and Koshek
    1.1.0 Xenopus leavis Carlos and Cecil
    2?.0.2 Bombina orientalis Ivan the Terrible, Peter the Great, Lenin and Putin
    0.1.0 Grammostola rose Megan Wallaby
    1.1.0 Heterometrus laoticus Ian and Isaac

Tongue Flicker

Looks like it suffered a shock. Did anything hit the tank recently?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the photo and answering Carlos' post. The information is quite helpful. In my opinion, there doesn't look like any indication of disease or injury. The body of the frog seems to be well-proportioned for a male. The biggest problem keeping this species is maintaining water quality. I don't see any husbandry problems.

From reading all the posts on this forum, bloating seems to be the most serious problem.

FYI - there are two kinds of bloat affecting ACFs. Hard bloat is caused by an internal bacterial infection. The skin on the frog becomes stiff as a board. This problem is nearly 100% fatal and treatment is difficult. Soft bloat is quite obvious, the frog taking on the appearance like the "Michelin man". This bloat is easier to cure using a combination of salt baths and antibiotics and the frog has a greater chance of survival.

At this moment in time, there is no need to worry. Keep up the good work. If your frog seems to be stressed out, cover the tank with brown wrapping paper for a few days and see if the frog settles down. Good luck
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Thread Information