Thread: Question regarding reducing feeding days and growth

Hypnotic

Default Question regarding reducing feeding days and growth

So my male has currently reached 3", I think his appetite is winding down because he usually eats 2-3 locusts a day, and lately he has been eating 1-2. He still has a teen voice, so I assume he isn't fully mature yet. Howlong would it be possible for them to grow and what should I see as a sign of growth stopping? besides the actual growing stopping.
    Would this also be a nice time to change his feeding schedule?

Also, my babies are currently around 1.9" and I'm wondering if it's okay to skip a feeding day to attempt to tong train them? I'm really worried since they clearly reject my tongs and see me as an invader, especially little Xico, puffs up to an amount I have never even seen before (he littlerally looks like a beachball) and actually tries to bite my finger. Also ignores all food items but crickets, I'd love to change this and hope skipping a day will flame the appetite and blur out those tongs.
    They are nearing half size of the enclosures they are in and pretty soon I'l have to relocate them, but food will be harder to grab then and I'm a little worried they won't get enough chances to eat, with most prey items climbing up plants and using other clever tactics.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Yeah that's about the size Mojo slowed down. Not sure when they stop growing. I think male cranwellis can get up to 4.25 inches for a big one. Should be fine to feed every couple days now.
    For your babies if they are well fed a skipped day won't hurt either. Keep your movments slow and quiet. If you can try offering food from tongs without the littleone seeing you. If your worried about the catching crickets you can remove legs. You can also squish the cricket head a little and drop it near the frog. This will make the cricket squirm but not go anywhere.

I have taken off all legs but the front two on crickets before.

Hypnotic

Default Re: Question regarding reducing feeding days and growth

Yeah, crickets aren't the problem, I'm more worried about locusts since they aren't as mobile as crickets, they walk around and crickets run all over the place. I'm more worried of them climbing up something and staying there, because that's how locusts are. My babies are doing fine with crickets for a while still, I always snap the backlegs off and also feed redrunners currently, eventhough I think Xico is spitting them back out.

Oh. I have no experience with locusts. Maybe try squishing the locust head?

Hypnotic

Errr, I'd preffer a different solution. I'm actually an insect lover aswell and while taking legs off is one thing, I wouldn't squish heads unless I really have no other options.

I was having problems with climbing prey too. But luckly my frogs eat worms only now. What's a redrunner? I tried dubias once. They are slow and dont climb but Mojo ate one, then spit the rest out. I ended up feeding the rest to the wild toads around my house (i used a laser pointer to attract toads from my yard).

Ah. Ide say try dubias then. They dont climb, but they sure do burrow.

Hypnotic

Redrunners are a kind of cockroach, lightning fast. I started using them for my gecko, to increase the challenge level and offer some diverse food. (most crested geckos think locusts taste disgusting!)
    They also lack the ability to walk up glass and plastic like dubias, but around here no small sized dubias are sold, so I'm sticking to redrunners & crickets for babies.
    Well, I should definately tong train them as soon as possible then, I had a stroke of luck with Bubba, he accepted the first time I offerd. My babies are really grumpy little buggers though lol, headbutting and burrowing down.

Lol. Just wondering, have you seen ivory reptiles tong feeding 101 video on you tube? That's how I learned to tong feed Mojo and Gingerbread. You could also try feeding ouside the enclosure. I wouldn't though because your babies are grumpy butts. As for crushing heads. I didn't like doing it either, but is was for the sake of my frogs. I always tell my wife don't get attached to the food lol (but that's with mice).

Off topic sry. What type of gecko do you have? I'm researching tokays right now.

Hypnotic

A crested gecko named Quinne, she was captive bred but with wild caught parents. She has an amazing personality, she hates other geckos, at one point she was housed with 2 other females, she went berserk and started attacking everything that moved, but I can handle her like nothing. I've sold my two other geckos a while back but can't imagine parting with her.
    I also still have some other pets, a small tarantula, a centipede and a scorpion (one of the more toxic kinds).

Name:  179685_502773043092058_1801977375_n.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  68.8 KBName:  223409_502773029758726_1677050349_n.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  48.6 KBName:  1014143_560672540635441_217708804_n.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  101.0 KB

N3XU5

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotic View Post
    So my male has currently reached 3", I think his appetite is winding down because he usually eats 2-3 locusts a day, and lately he has been eating 1-2. He still has a teen voice, so I assume he isn't fully mature yet. Howlong would it be possible for them to grow and what should I see as a sign of growth stopping? besides the actual growing stopping.
    Would this also be a nice time to change his feeding schedule?

Also, my babies are currently around 1.9" and I'm wondering if it's okay to skip a feeding day to attempt to tong train them? I'm really worried since they clearly reject my tongs and see me as an invader, especially little Xico, puffs up to an amount I have never even seen before (he littlerally looks like a beachball) and actually tries to bite my finger. Also ignores all food items but crickets, I'd love to change this and hope skipping a day will flame the appetite and blur out those tongs.
    They are nearing half size of the enclosures they are in and pretty soon I'l have to relocate them, but food will be harder to grab then and I'm a little worried they won't get enough chances to eat, with most prey items climbing up plants and using other clever tactics.
    Hypnotic,

How did you make your profile pic?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

You can skip a day or two now if you like. 3" is almost full grown for a male.

Cool! Geckos are alright in my book. I have a baby house gecko that's lives next to my TV. We haven't been able to catch him yet and put him outside.

Hypnotic

Allright thanks Grif! and N3xus, I actually found it online. I've seen more people using it on different forums and loved the look of it.
    If you want you can use it, I'm about to change mine anyway.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotic View Post
    A crested gecko named Quinne, she was captive bred but with wild caught parents. She has an amazing personality, she hates other geckos, at one point she was housed with 2 other females, she went berserk and started attacking everything that moved, but I can handle her like nothing. I've sold my two other geckos a while back but can't imagine parting with her.
    I also still have some other pets, a small tarantula, a centipede and a scorpion (one of the more toxic kinds).

Name:  179685_502773043092058_1801977375_n.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  68.8 KBName:  223409_502773029758726_1677050349_n.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  48.6 KBName:  1014143_560672540635441_217708804_n.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  101.0 KB
    she sounds like one of mines, red partial pinner, almost breeding size, no idea what I'm gonna do, she can't be housed with anyone, she bites me too if given a chance... and she is one of the best females i have, very very nice... and she is alway fired up, day or night.

sorry for off topic, people already cover the question
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Hypnotic

No problem! Always love to read about other pets! I think I'l make a topic about the rest of my collection in the appropriate section.

Thread Information