Thread: How to reproduce horned frogs

Default How to reproduce horned frogs

Trying to breed my horned frogs but not going anywhere.....

How can you tell when the female horned frog is ready to mate?

One of my Surinam produced eggs (she is all by herself) but what does that tell me?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

SethD

Default Re: How to reproduce horned frogs

Attempting Horned frog breeding is only recommended for advanced hobbyists who have experience with breeding simpler species. It isn't the easiest frog to breed and even if you are successful raising the tads is a lot of work. That said if you want to try anyway it involves keeping the adults cool at around 60-65 F and drier for a month or two followed by warming them up to normal temperatures in the high 70's or low 80's F. After about a week or two of heavy feeding place them in a rain chamber. With luck they may spawn. Natural breedings like this without hormones are not completely reliable in this species but it can work. Once again I do not recommend this for beginners or even moderately advanced hobbyists. Issues can arise ranging from problems during estivation to the adults trying to eat each other and it is best if you generally know what your doing.

Quote Originally Posted by SethD View Post
    Attempting Horned frog breeding is only recommended for advanced hobbyists who have experience with breeding simpler species. It isn't the easiest frog to breed and even if you are successful raising the tads is a lot of work. That said if you want to try anyway it involves keeping the adults cool at around 60-65 F and drier for a month or two followed by warming them up to normal temperatures in the high 70's or low 80's F. After about a week or two of heavy feeding place them in a rain chamber. With luck they may spawn. Natural breedings like this without hormones are not completely reliable in this species but it can work. Once again I do not recommend this for beginners or even moderately advanced hobbyists. Issues can arise ranging from problems during estivation to the adults trying to eat each other and it is best if you generally know what your doing.
    Thx for the tips.
    I think I'll think it throughly b4 I do anything.

Kevin1

you can get in touch with Philippe through here: GiantGeckos.com - Captive Bred Reptiles by Philippe de Vosjoli - Contact

Although I'm not sure how much he'd be willing to share.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin1 View Post
    you can get in touch with Philippe through here: GiantGeckos.com - Captive Bred Reptiles by Philippe de Vosjoli - Contact

Although I'm not sure how much he'd be willing to share.
    Thank you for the website.

Thread Information