Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: C. Cornutas (Surinam) breeding?

  1. #21

    Default Re: C. Cornutas (Surinam) breeding?

    Cb's are less prone to having those problems?

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many
     

  3. #22
    Hypnotic
    Guest

    Default Re: C. Cornutas (Surinam) breeding?

    Yes, they are. You have to think about it this way, feeders can contain many parasites, so can the water in the wild and many other things. That is why we don't feed our pets wildcaught feeders and treat out water and clean it on a daily basis. However, don't go thinking every wild caught frog has parasites, because I own 2 wild caught cranwellis and they are doing perfectly.

  4. #23

    Default Re: C. Cornutas (Surinam) breeding?

    Heh yeah, I know some wild caughts *can be healthy, i've been thinking about getting a Fc Surinam since theyre hard to find at the stage I want them at currently, so I was curious on the matter if anything could be bad from getting one.

  5. #24
    Moderator GrifTheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    9,692
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: C. Cornutas (Surinam) breeding?

    Quote Originally Posted by Poliwag View Post
    Heh yeah, I know some wild caughts *can be healthy, i've been thinking about getting a Fc Surinam since theyre hard to find at the stage I want them at currently, so I was curious on the matter if anything could be bad from getting one.
    Wild Cornuta are extremely difficult to acclimate and they usually die from the parasite they harbor in with them. Once they become stressed their immune system becomes compromised and they succumb to their ailments. This is not a good species for you to start out with. They take 3 years to fully mature and are almost always a trouble feeder. Especially if WC.

    Start off with a less expensive more easily aquired and cared for species like C. cranwelli or C. ornata.


  6. #25

    Default Re: C. Cornutas (Surinam) breeding?

    Like always, thanks for the advice Grif. I have found CBB Cornutas as well as the WC I spoke about, I just want a certain morph of one that isn't readily CB available. Other than that I will be getting an Cranwelli (: I hope they will grow well when i receive them.

  7. #26
    Moderator GrifTheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    9,692
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: C. Cornutas (Surinam) breeding?

    Quote Originally Posted by Poliwag View Post
    Like always, thanks for the advice Grif. I have found CBB Cornutas as well as the WC I spoke about, I just want a certain morph of one that isn't readily CB available. Other than that I will be getting an Cranwelli (: I hope they will grow well when i receive them.
    Do lots of research.


  8. #27
    Hypnotic
    Guest

    Default Re: C. Cornutas (Surinam) breeding?

    Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Do lots of research.
    And then some more, and when in doubt, ask here!

  9. #28

    Default Re: C. Cornutas (Surinam) breeding?

    Oh trust me, i've been doing plenty for almost 2 weeks straight.

  10. #29
    CHUBBY
    Guest

    Default Re: C. Cornutas (Surinam) breeding?

    Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Wild Cornuta are extremely difficult to acclimate and they usually die from the parasite they harbor in with them. Once they become stressed their immune system becomes compromised and they succumb to their ailments. This is not a good species for you to start out with. They take 3 years to fully mature and are almost always a trouble feeder. Especially if WC.

    Start off with a less expensive more easily aquired and cared for species like C. cranwelli or C. ornata.
    Totally agree! I have quite a few WC Cornutas, all different ages and they are a money pit and quite time consuming. All of mine came with hook worms which needed to be treated with fenbendazole. A couple came with some nasty blisters too which needed to be treated with antibiotics. Depending on how many you have, vet bills will add up and become costly (stool samples, cytologies, meds, and follow-ups).

    On top of that, they are tricky to get to eat. Some of mine are now on nightcrawlers, but others will only eat crickets and hornworms (flashy green colors trigger their response I'm assuming). Getting them to eat from tongs are a nightmare as well.

    I hope I'm not discouraging you haha. These are truly a wonderful species to work with once acclimated. By far, my favorite of the horned frog species.

    If you are still hung up on buying one though, my suggestion would be a CB or CBB hatchling. Compared to ones straight from the wild, CB or CBB frogglets are so much easier to work with in terms of feeding and acclimating them. Some people will argue that they tox out easily and are therefore not easy, but as long as husbandry is right and water is kept spiffy clean, you will not have problems. They will readily take crickets and worms as they grow. But I still would recommend getting fecal samples done for each that you acquire (CBB and even CB can still carry parasites).

    Cheers

  11. This member thanks CHUBBY for this post:


Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Wanted: C. Cornutas (Surinam)
    By Poliwag in forum For Sale/Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 3rd, 2013, 07:56 AM
  2. My cornutas
    By AMKReptiles in forum Pacman Frogs
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: March 21st, 2013, 02:06 PM
  3. Two little cornutas
    By mikesfrogs in forum Pacman Frogs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: December 21st, 2012, 10:57 PM
  4. Cornutas
    By mikesfrogs in forum Pacman Frogs
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: April 22nd, 2012, 01:03 PM
  5. Cornutas breeding
    By mikesfrogs in forum Pacman Frogs
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: April 22nd, 2012, 10:51 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •