Thread: Dividing a tank.

BerserkApe

Default Dividing a tank.

So any suggestions in dividing up a tank with plexiglass?
    I have a 40b I'm dividing into three sections for my Pacmans with the aid of plexiglass and aquarium silicon. I'm moving them into the divided tank to control heat and humidity. As well, one big tank is less troubling to future renters then three small tanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Dividing a tank.

Other than measuring twice and once again will serve you well.

and make sure you clean all surfaces very well first with a good quality glass cleaner
    Then denatured alcohol and ventilate well.
    Don't use any other solvent on plexi or you will be sorry.

I would also get black plexi so the neighbors can't see each other.

Then you have the problem of drainage.
    you can place a drainage tube per division.

Heating.
    I would get Heat tape across the lower back of the tank,
    and get a thermostat. I would also get Temp/ Hygrometers for each living space.

Lighting will depend on what you have,
    Pack mans don't need UV or bright light. So a coupe of 25W 56K CFL would be fine.
    But if you have a albino I would get a "gel" to block out some of the light.

demon amphibians

I find the hardest part about this task is measuring every peace so it fits evenly i am talking about where you place your plexi glass in the tank. depending on the thickness of the plexi you will have to offset each division slightly. If you measure as you go your last division will be smaller then the rest, you may think it will make only a small difference but in reality if you are not careful you can be off by almost half an inch. Just something to watch out for if you are looking for something that looks nice as well as suites your needs. be sure to measure at the bottom as well as the top or else you will find your peaces placed crooked. once you have your plexi placed look at it from all angles, what may seem straight from one side may look totally crooked from the opposite side. Also what i find makes it easier is place the silicone in small places on each side separately this will allow you to make small adjustments as you go and prevents unwanted movement while you make your divisions water tight. just the little amount of pressure you use to apply the silicone can result in the plexi glass sliding out of place. once you consider these obstacles the rest is very easy.

BerserkApe

Thank you all for your advice. Though, what I have planned is to make the walls modular. I'm not concerned about water tight seals since this will only hold Pacmans. I'm also debating making it into three 13s or four tens.

bounce

I would use 1/8th in plexi maybe 1/4 but thicker than that will be difficult,
    to make it modular you could cut notches into the pieces so that they interlock, and not seal them with the silicone then you can remove and change them if you need. If you are cutting it yourself you can use the score and crack method which will not be volatile, but anything with power tools you should probably wear a vapor respirator because the fumes are nasty. My favorite thing to cut plex with is an oscillating power tool then a file to clean the edges.

BerserkApe

Quote Originally Posted by bounce View Post
    I would use 1/8th in plexi maybe 1/4 but thicker than that will be difficult,
    to make it modular you could cut notches into the pieces so that they interlock, and not seal them with the silicone then you can remove and change them if you need. If you are cutting it yourself you can use the score and crack method which will not be volatile, but anything with power tools you should probably wear a vapor respirator because the fumes are nasty. My favorite thing to cut plex with is an oscillating power tool then a file to clean the edges.
    Tablesaw with fine teeth, sanding edges, then covering with electrical tape.

Thread Information