Thread: frog poisoned? help!

dennyjames8

Default frog poisoned? help!

hi there are 2 frogs on my patio i thought were dead but they are alive, their legs are still moving and they are not dead. their guts are spilling out of their mouths. no injury to their bodies. have they been poisoned by something? please let me know. thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: frog poisoned? help!

Quote Originally Posted by dennyjames8 View Post
    hi there are 2 frogs on my patio i thought were dead but they are alive, their legs are still moving and they are not dead. their guts are spilling out of their mouths. no injury to their bodies. have they been poisoned by something? please let me know. thanks
    Sounds like they have either been squished or they have purged their stomach. When frogs vomit they actually puke their whole stomach out. If they cannot get it back in they will die. If they ate something poisonous they may try to vomit to expell the toxins.

Post a picture so we can actually see the situation please.

dennyjames8

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Sounds like they have either been squished or they have purged their stomach. When frogs vomit they actually puke their whole stomach out. If they cannot get it back in they will die. If they ate something poisonous they may try to vomit to expell the toxins.

Post a picture so we can actually see the situation please.
    Name:  087.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  59.3 KBName:  088.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  44.0 KBName:  089.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  55.1 KBhere they are. they have since died. i found a 3rd one bloated up but still alive and nothing coming out of its mouth. it has since hopped away but its moving slow. and the belly was ballooned up

Nationality
    [United States]

Name:  087.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  59.3 KBName:  088.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  44.0 KBName:  089.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  55.1 KBhere they are. they have since died. i found a 3rd one bloated up but still alive and nothing coming out of its mouth. it has since hopped away but its moving slow. and the belly was ballooned up
    If you find it post pictures of it too. Honestly they look like they've been sqeezed to the point that their internal organs were forced out of their mouths.

If something they ate caused this then it is most likely bad for you as well. Don't handle them and wash your hands really well. You may want to burn the dead toads.

dennyjames8

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    If you find it post pictures of it too. Honestly they look like they've been sqeezed to the point that their internal organs were forced out of their mouths.

If something they ate caused this then it is most likely bad for you as well. Don't handle them and wash your hands really well. You may want to burn the dead toads.
    i agree. i didnt touch them but scooped them up with a styrofoam cup and covered it. if i find the 3rd one tomorrow ill take pics and post them. you are right they do look as if they were squeezed. makes you think a snake but we have never had snakes here and if it was they would have eaten them i assume. im mystified. my neighbor has a pool and says due to rain her pool was overflowing when they came home tonight from the weekend away. they had called an exterminator to spray under their deck for wasps a few days ago. perhaps this has something to do with it?

Nationality
    [United States]

...my neighbor has a pool and says due to rain her pool was overflowing when they came home tonight from the weekend away. they had called an exterminator to spray under their deck for wasps a few days ago. perhaps this has something to do with it?
    Hello and welcome to FF DJ ! The frogs probably got exposed to the spray and you came across the sad result .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Yep! Its the spray. Poor Toads.

dennyjames8

I am so sad about this. If you could have seen those poor toads suffering, it was awful. People need to wake up as to what they are doing to the environment, even when its in their yards. My sister in Canada says they don't allow lawn fertilizers and weed killers there anymore. Too bad that will never happen here. I haven't used weed killers, etc in the backyard in 20 yrs, so maybe thats why they come over to my yard. too late this time. I'm bummed.

Thread Information