Thread: Sick frog

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Sick frog

Hello fellow frog forum members. I believe one of my Hyla Cinereas is sick; he is lethargic, was sitting at the bottom of the terrarium for a few days, and (I believe) has not been eating (even though he is not skinny, he may be bloated). I don't know what the last time is that he ate. So I moved him to a quarantine, plastic cage with damp paper towels, a small water bowl, and a small plastic plant; then I placed the cage in a low traffic area of the house. I also placed a cricket in there for him yesterday, and he has not eaten it. I still need to see if he poops, because I believe the feces I find in the cage may be from my other frog. One thing I noticed is that his belly is not the creamy white, but it seems that you can see into it (see attached pictures); it has some blue and red discoloration. The other thing I noticed is that when I moved the frog to the quarantine tank, his belly didn't feel soft, but it felt firm on the inside (impaction?). Should I give him a honey bath? Further, I looked at the first aid article on this forum, but I'm still not completely sure what it is. Also, I do have a veterinarian that specializes in amphibians, but they are closed over the weekend, and on labor day. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Sanimal

Name:  IMG_5368.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  40.0 KBName:  IMG_5369.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  42.8 KBName:  IMG_5370.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  41.1 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Sick frog

Quote Originally Posted by Sanimal View Post
    Hello fellow frog forum members. I believe one of my Hyla Cinereas is sick; he is lethargic, was sitting at the bottom of the terrarium for a few days, and (I believe) has not been eating (even though he is not skinny, he may be bloated). I don't know what the last time is that he ate. So I moved him to a quarantine, plastic cage with damp paper towels, a small water bowl, and a small plastic plant; then I placed the cage in a low traffic area of the house. I also placed a cricket in there for him yesterday, and he has not eaten it. I still need to see if he poops, because I believe the feces I find in the cage may be from my other frog. One thing I noticed is that his belly is not the creamy white, but it seems that you can see into it (see attached pictures); it has some blue and red discoloration. The other thing I noticed is that when I moved the frog to the quarantine tank, his belly didn't feel soft, but it felt firm on the inside (impaction?). Should I give him a honey bath? Further, I looked at the first aid article on this forum, but I'm still not completely sure what it is. Also, I do have a veterinarian that specializes in amphibians, but they are closed over the weekend, and on labor day. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Sanimal

Name:  IMG_5368.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  40.0 KBName:  IMG_5369.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  42.8 KBName:  IMG_5370.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  41.1 KB
    Hi,
    Sorry
    I believe you should take your frog to the vet if the appearance of his tummy does not change.
    Is it possible to email the vet, and send these photos?

The honey bath will not hurt.
    But, do rinse him afterwards in clean de-chlorinated water.
    His tummy has dilated vessels.
    He does appear to be bloated.
    So, he may need the vet as soon as you can get him there?

Do you have any emergency medications on hand?

Let's hope he poops tonight

Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks for the reply Lynn. Unfortunately, he died tonight. He was twitching an awful lot before passing away. So I took him out of the cage and held him; he died in my hands (I do believe that he liked the warmth of them, though). However, I was wondering, just for future reference, what causes dilated vessels? Is there a way I could have prevented that?

Sanimal

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Sorry for your frog's death . Would keep an eye on other frogs in enclosure for any signs of bloating or it being lethargic. If you still want to try and ID cause of problem, please answer below questionnaire and we will try to help. Also, could take frog body to veterinary for necropsy. Good luck !

“Trouble in the Frog Enclosure”

The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Size of enclosure
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences
    3. Humidity
    4. Temperature
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6. Materials used for substrate
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    10. Lighting
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12. When is the last time he/she ate
    13. Have you found poop lately
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. How old is the frog
    16. How long have you owned him/her
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    19. How often the frog is handled
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)

by Lynn(Flybyferns) and GrifTheGreat.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks for the reply Carlos.

1. 10 gallons
    2. Now there's only one
    3. I live in Arizona, so it varies; sometimes it gets low into the 40s. When this happens, I mist the cage, and place a wet towel on top to cover part of the lid. This causes it to stay in the 70s (about) during the day. Then, at night, it gets into the high 80s, so I remove the towel; in the morning, the humidity is low again (though I do mist every morning). I really try to keep it in the 70s, though; further, we do have a humidifier in the house for the dry seasons.
    4. Mid 70s
    5. Spring water
    6. At the very bottom is a layer of gravel (for drainage; the frogs can't get to it). On top of this is Eco Earth (separated by mesh). The final layer is live sheet moss.
    7. There is a live pothos plant, an Exo Terra hanging plant and branch, and a mushroom ledge on the wall. Also, there are two dishes for water and food. All of these things were rinsed off thoroughly with spring water before being put into the cage. There's an Exo Terra background.
    8. Crickets
    9. Reptivite with D3 once a week
    10. Exo Terra Repti Glo 2.0 13W, on around 10-12 hours a day (I adjust the time depending on when the sun comes up and when it goes down)
    11. Occasionally, the sun from the outside shines on the cage (more in the late afternoon), but not directly (the cage is not bathed in sunlight). This and the Exo Terra light are the only two things I can think of that affect the temperature. Other than these, the cage is room temperature.
    12. I'm not completely sure about the one that died. As for the one that lives, I believe he is eating because he has a good weight, and looks healthy.
    13. Yes, I believe it's from the live one
    14. See above for the dead one, below for the live one/enclosure
    15. I'm not completely sure.
    16. The one that died I had had for about two years; the live one I've had for a little over a year and a half.
    17. I assume captive bred, bought at pet stores
    18. The frog is fed crickets, mealworms, waxworms, and moths (pupated waxworms). I had fed the two frogs anywhere between 10-25 crickets at a time, but this number will decrease because now I only have one frog. Then, when the crickets are all gone (usually after a few days), I feed him more (so crickets are fed about 2-3 times a week). Mealworms and waxworms are fed about once a month (and only a few at a time). As for the moths, there's that time when most of the waxworms, over a period of a few days, all pupate into moths. During this time, I feed moths pretty regularly, but not as often as the crickets.
    19. Only when the cage is cleaned (to move the frog to another container)
    20. Low, in the living room
    21. The water is changed daily. Once a week, I wipe down everything in the cage with a damp paper
    towel. Also, once every 4-6 months, everything is removed from the cage; the substrate is changed, and all the decorations are rinsed down with spring water.

Name:  IMG_5372.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  40.0 KBName:  IMG_5374.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  38.8 KBName:  IMG_5376.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  102.6 KB Hope this helps!
    Sanimal

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I was just wondering; does anybody have anything to say about the care I give my frog, or is it all good?

TalonMadC

I thought your care sounded very good :} i dont know wut made him sick

Thread Information