Thread: Fungus gnats

Janice

Default Fungus gnats

I am sure this has been covered some where on here before, but I have a bad problem with them. Now they stay in the tank, so that is not a problem but I dont know if they will hurt the African Bullfrog. I mean are they biting or pestering him? What can you treat the substrate with and not harm the frog? He might be ok with them but I dont like them.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Fungus gnats

Pestering... probably; biting... not sure . What have you done already to control them? Other than changing substrate more frequently; not sure what can you use that will kill the gnats without hurting the frogs. You could use yellow sticky traps outside enclosure to try and capture some gnats, or use one of those electronic insect traps to try and reduce their numbers.

Bacillus thuringiensis, an organic control for caterpillars, can be mixed into solution to kill insect larvae. Bt is labeled a safe bacteria to use around people and pets; but usually when writers mention pets they mean mammals. Maybe you can consult a local veterinarian to ensure it's safe with frogs or someone else here might have more knowledge on it. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

I hate to say this but i have this problem as well.

Not even 2 days after putting new organic soil into my tanks i have about 20 of those things in there... as soon as i open the screen top they swarm in my face. So if you find a solution to this problem ID LOVE TO KNOW. If only I could put darts in my tree frog tank. They would gobble those things right up! (NOTE: I DO NOT HAVE KNATS IN MY DART FROG TANKS! NONE OF THEM!

I think thats the only solution without chemicals..... haha sigh... wouldn't it be nice to have an all natural eco system and mixing species of frogs >.<.

AS FAR AS THEM BITING: NO id think not... They breed and eat stuff in the soil. (as far as I know)
    AS FAR AS THEM ANNOYING /PESTERING THE FROGS: Yes. My dumpy's HATE THEM!!! Dumpys always try to kick them off with their legs. I see it every now and then. No bite marks or reactions so I think they are just landing on them.

As far as my red eyes...they make no notice of them. For my rubys...they make no notice of them....for my green tree frogs and baja california tree frogs... no bother. Darts of various species: DINNER BELLS START RINGING!

Eric Walker

Sorry to say this but once you have them you will almost certainly NEVER fully get rid of them. Now as far as biting. No worries their. I DO have them in my dart tanks but in limited numbers. They will eventually fizzle down to tolerable but compleatly eradicating them is next to impossibly. Do you have house plants? They will breed in there as well. I almost gave up on my hobbie/passion because of a long term nasty infestation of them. Took almost 5 months to knock it down to the point where they weren't flying around the whole house and not just the basement. They hitched a ride in a few vivs from our old house to the new one and once I set back up went crazy. I did all sorts of things to keep them at bay and in the end it just took patients and time. I do know of a biological larvicide that works well for keeping them out of your house plants that was recommended to me by a frogger at a zoo that is supposedly safe for use around frogs but I never used it in an occupied viv. I dont feel OK about recommending it for use directly with frogs but as far as house plants go it worked great for cutting Down on breeding grounds

Default Fungus gnats

This was designed for roach breeding bins, but if you have room, you may want to try it. I know a few people who have used them and say they work well.
    http://store.westcoastroaches.com/2-...22_p_2619.html
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

Good to hear from you again bill. Thanks for the post =).

Default Fungus gnats

Hey Corey!! I'm still around here and there. Just been busy with other projects
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri