Thread: gtf not moving please help

boog369

Default gtf not moving please help

Have had for for bout a week at 1st I had In a 10g with astro turf aquarium plants water bowl he was eating like 3-5 larg criketts a day . Then I see these kicka$$ vivs so I buy the coconut fiber add more plants and swimming pool for a start for him he did not like the fiber at all I called pet store they said to put moss in there ontop of coco fiber now he is just sitting on leaves of plants won't eat won't move unless I try to pick him up . I misted the cage and sprayed him he just sat there I'm scared he mihht die I don't want that to happen .. what do I need to do

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

iheartfrogs

Default Re: gtf not moving please help

I have no experience with tree frogs but I hope somebody that does comes along. Trust your frog though if he doesn't like the coco fiber (I find mine has a strong scent?) then you should start by taking it away. I had a mouse once and it didn't like wood chips, it turns out the oil was causing seizures or spasms or something.

A lot of people on this site will warn you about impaction and tell you that your frog could eat the moss and it could get stuck in it's tummy.

I don't know what to do when that happens, but try looking into it?

My favorite thing to do when my frog needs to perk up is give him a half hour honey bath. Two spoons of honey in two cups of water, but your frog is tiny? So maybe it wouldn't need two whole cups. The honey perks up my froggy and brings his color back when he's looking faded.

Good luck. I hope everything turns out okay!

iheartfrogs

Some people also said not to spray the frogs but to spray around them, something about shock. Did he not have a swimming pool before? I assume the water is treated, but I'm bringing it up just in case... ;P

rikkitiger

Is he moving at night? Because my tree frogs dont move around at all during the day time, but when it comes time for me to turn out their light they perk up and hop around, and in the morning i find them in the same place.
    it might just be his favorite place to be
    dont spray him
    check for poop/eating?
    change water DAILY if not doing so already

see how he does

what do you feed him? I found that my frogs eat better if once a week they get mealworms instead of crickets.
    try removing the fiber and see how he does too.
    a honey bath is a good idea but make sure its not too deep and not too long.

what kind of plants is he sitting on? And make sure he cant eat any pebbles or coconut fiber or moss around, there might be a problem with that.

you might want to try putting him in a hospital tank, doesnt have to be too big, use paper towels for substrate, and try posting a couple pics. What does his skin look like? Is he changing color? Is he green or brown?

Just some ideas. Honey baths work for my frogs though you might want to try it first, then the hospital tank.

As rikkitiger said, check it at night he moves. I have 3 american green tree frogs and during the day they don't move(sometime only the male moves and start calling). At night since the vivarium is in my bedroom I listen them jumping and moving all the time. They are nocturnal so they are active during the night.

And don't spray directly on the frog. When you need to spray where the frog is staying, move the frog and than spray.
    1.1.0 Hyla cinerea - and another 2 that died
    1.0.0 Ball Python
    0.0.1 Amazon Tree Boa

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by boog369 View Post
    Have had for for bout a week at 1st I had In a 10g with astro turf aquarium plants water bowl he was eating like 3-5 larg criketts a day . Then I see these kicka$$ vivs so I buy the coconut fiber add more plants and swimming pool for a start for him he did not like the fiber at all I called pet store they said to put moss in there ontop of coco fiber now he is just sitting on leaves of plants won't eat won't move unless I try to pick him up . I misted the cage and sprayed him he just sat there I'm scared he mihht die I don't want that to happen .. what do I need to do
    Hello and welcome to FF! Sorry your frog is not doing well . If frog is not active at night in such a short time; something is not right. Please answer the pasted questions to try and figure out if anything is amiss in enclosure. Until then; do not stress out your frog more by removing substrate or doing changes in enclosure. It's very important that all frog related water is dechlorinated (can use distilled for misting only to keep glass clean but don't mist frog). That includes for mixing the shredded coco, rinsing hands before handling frog, bath, etc. Crickets should be gut loaded with carrots, lettuce, oats, fish flakes, etc. and dusted with CA/D3 2X and vitamins 1X weekly on different days with skip day in between. Do not handle frog anymore until we figure out whats wrong! Good luck !

The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Size of enclosure
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences
    3. Humidity
    4. Temperature
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6. Materials used for substrate
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    10. Lighting
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12. When is the last time he/she ate
    13. Have you found poop lately
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. How old is the frog
    16. How long have you owned him/her
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    19. How often the frog is handled
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)

by Lynn(Flybyferns) and GrifTheGreat.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by iheartfrogs View Post
    ...My favorite thing to do when my frog needs to perk up is give him a half hour honey bath. Two spoons of honey in two cups of water, but your frog is tiny? So maybe it wouldn't need two whole cups. The honey perks up my froggy and brings his color back when he's looking faded....
    The dosage we are using at forum is a couple drops (around one drop per in. SVL in enough 80F dechlorinated water to bath a frog to it's chin for 20 min. That is followed by a rinse in 80F dechlorinated water for another 20 minutes.

Your recommended one spoon (either teaspoon or tablespoon) of honey per cup of water is way more than a couple drops . Are you sure that is the dosage you are using and without a following rinse bath? Just trying to clear dosage, because OP or others might try to do what you are stating and get different results with their frogs.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information