Thread: My frog is bigger now, does it still look like a boy?

Default My frog is bigger now, does it still look like a boy?

Some posters told me my frog looked like a boy but he was pretty small. Here's some updated pictures.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

SCF

Default Re: My frog is bigger now, does it still look like a boy?

It reminds me of Carlo's pyxie. How old is it again?

Quote Originally Posted by SCF View Post
    It reminds me of Carlo's pyxie. How old is it again?
    I honestly have no idea. I got him maybe 3 or 4 months ago. I don't think he's over 5 months.

SCF

Did it have blue coloring around it's hind legs when it was younger?

SCF

I just looked at your older thread regarding him. It did have blue coloring. I think your frog is falling into this unknown category of a hybrid. It's very small for it's age. It has some similar traits of P. Edulis, but also of P. Adsperus. It seems like you have a mini giant on your hands...

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Weird!!!! Another small Hybrid looking Pyxi.

...what?! NO! I don't want a small hybrid! Haha WHY?! This makes me terribly sad even though I still love him. ...is it a him? And how big do you think it'll get?

EDIT: I really hope you guys are wrong. haha

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by MyKindOfLullaby View Post
    ...what?! NO! I don't want a small hybrid! Haha WHY?! This makes me terribly sad even though I still love him. ...is it a him? And how big do you think it'll get?

EDIT: I really hope you guys are wrong. haha
    It could just be a female Giant. They can range from 4.5" to 6". Where did you buy it?

Nationality
    [United States]

This one does have a couple of P. edulis traits like mine (white spot on tympani and 1 eye diameter distance between tympani and eye) and small size for age. It's reaching 4 in. based on quarter in pic, so if it does not call soon, it's a female! Difference from Duncan is eye color, he has them black.

I think a smaller African Bullfrog has many conveniences the big ones lack. They eat less (Duncan is full with 3 large night crawlers), fit in smaller tanks, and are way cute .

Have you tried playing an ABF male call? Sometimes they do respond or at least react to it. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Girl friend for Duncan?

I've heard it make noises once. It was a sort of high pitched croak. I've looked for an african bullfrog croak but I cant find any good ones. Suggestions?

I bought it at a place called 'the vivarium.' they're a well known local reptile store in California. They have their own giant bullfrogs that they take to shows which makes me think they know the difference, but maybe not.

I will love my frog no matter what, but the fun of having a bullfrog is for the size! I want the biggest, fattest bullfrog out there haha.

EDIT: Carlos, your frog is really cute! But this worries me because Maybe my frog's growth actually is stunted I was giving wrong advice at first, they said to feed 10 crickets a day as a baby.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by MyKindOfLullaby View Post
    ...EDIT: Carlos, your frog is really cute! But this worries me because Maybe my frog's growth actually is stunted I was giving wrong advice at first, they said to feed 10 crickets a day as a baby.
    Would not worry and just care well for it . Duncan is way older (was told 1.5 years old) and has been filling up nicely on his 3 night crawlers a day diet.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [Canada]

about that stunted growth thing..... i was absolutely sure mine is stunted, she was 4.5" when she was 1y old and very sick when she was younger... i thought that she might be a he at one point...... now 6 month later ( 1.5y old) she is sitting at a bit over 6" eating amounts that are not realistic and i think i need to get a bigger tank, she is in 18x18x18 now. and now I'm thinking why she is so big lol i can swear no hamsters were involved lol

so i wanted to say i guess is now when all pixie species is so mixed up, you never know or can predict what size will you have, mini giant can become as well a big mini giant or anything in between.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    about that stunted growth thing..... i was absolutely sure mine is stunted, she was 4.5" when she was 1y old and very sick when she was younger... i thought that she might be a he at one point...... now 6 month later ( 1.5y old) she is sitting at a bit over 6" eating amounts that are not realistic and i think i need to get a bigger tank, she is in 18x18x18 now. and now I'm thinking why she is so big lol i can swear no hamsters were involved lol

so i wanted to say i guess is now when all pixie species is so mixed up, you never know or can predict what size will you have, mini giant can become as well a big mini giant or anything in between.

This makes me feel a tad bit better. Again, I love my frog no matter what but I payed to have a giant bullfrog. I really hope he starts growing more.

And Carlos, what size night crawlers do you feed your little guy?

Thread Information