Thread: Good pet toads

Monza geckos

Talking Good pet toads

I am thinking of getting an amphibian for next year when it's my bday but my mum hates frogs and toads but I was looking for a small dry skin toad that are regularly availed in the pet industrie

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Good pet toads

Hum... and you want us to make Mama angry ; he, he, he, so we will ! First thing is for you to find out what is available locally since it's easier to narrow down selection that way. Been researching toads for a while since want to add one species to collection and think they are great pets.

This article will give you the basics on Toad care so you know what is required: Frog Forum - Toad Basics - Keeping ground-dwelling Toads. A care sheet for Bufo, Anaxyrus, Spea, Scaphiopus, Ollotis, Alytes, Pelobates . If those still gross her out; maybe some cute small ones are the way into her Heart: Frog Forum - Bumble Bee Walking Toad - Melanophryniscus stelzneri (Weyenbergh, 1875) - Care and Breeding . Happy Birthday, good luck, and let us know what you guys decide !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

4. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

100+ Post Member lindsayshocking's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    West Sacramento, California, United States
    Blog Entries

I love to beat my dead horse, but I have to come in and preach the gospel of spadefoot toads. They're relatively small toads, but are awesome pets. I've noticed that for the most part, they are relatively chill with humans. I have a couple that actually seem to enjoy being held. Besides being well mannered, they're also so freaking cute. Couch's spadefoots have gorgeous designs, for example. I always recommend spadefoots

nok1888

When it comes to toads I like the Bumblebee walking toad, they do well in groups and seemingly easy to care for. In frogs I started by liking Dart frogs but now appreciate a lot of different kinds

2.0 Border Collies - Jinky and Chance
    3.0 Cats - Monty, Dodger and Crunchie
    1.1 Royal Pythons Orlina and Sedrick
    0.1 BCI Boa - Aasia
    1.0 Western Hognose - Hagrid
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - iiara

Nothing wrong with the good ol' American Toad

Some others are green toads (either European, Western, or Sonoran) and Oak Toads. I see Gulf Coast Toads fairly often, but I've never really kept one...

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by lindsayshocking View Post
    ... spadefoot toads. They're relatively small toads, but are awesome pets. I've noticed that for the most part, they are relatively chill with humans. I have a couple that actually seem to enjoy being held. Besides being well mannered, they're also so freaking cute. Couch's spadefoots have gorgeous designs, for example. I always recommend spadefoots
    Spadefoot's are one worth consideration, I find them cute too. Other species have my interest is Bufo melanostictus, AKA The Black-Spined Toad or Common Asian Toad. They are docile, social, smallish (10-11 cm. max) and easy to care for .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Monza geckos

Thanks guys I definitely think ill get a spade foot next year though I am in the process of making my setup for my future tokay

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Cane toad.. Oh wait small...fire belly toad... Ohh wait dry skin...Kihansi spray toad.. Ohh wait regularly available..hmm. I'd go with green toads because they are cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Spadefoot's are one worth consideration, I find them cute too. Other species have my interest is Bufo melanostictus, AKA The Black-Spined Toad or Common Asian Toad. They are docile, social, smallish (10-11 cm. max) and easy to care for .
    With Asian Black-spined toads, they always arrived sick and nearly dead when I got them. If you can get it from a very reputable dealer (those are rare), then yeah, they are super cool.

That goes with any amphibian. A lot of dealers out there are terrible. I would recommend buying from an individual (like someone from this forum) or a pet store.

Thread Information