Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally decided to introduce myself

justagirl

Question Finally decided to introduce myself

I've been lurking around here for about 7 months or so researching and peeking at your set-ups to get ideas. Thought it was time to register and get to know some of you. This site has been invaluable to me and my little one.

I got my first red eye as a Christmas present last year after doing extensive research (wanted to do it right). I've fallen in love and am planning on getting a few more in a month or so. I want to have a few females and one male. The problem is....I'm not sure what it is I have (could be the reason I've had such trouble naming him/her. Can anyone help?

Last edited by justagirl; May 17th, 2009 at 11:11 AM. Reason: move pic

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Finally decided to introduce myself

Welcome to the site! Have you seen Kurt's new Red-Eye information sheet? It only went up yesterday morning. It's here. I'm sure when Kurt gets a look at this thread he will offer you some advice. I must admit that I'm a non-Hyla newbie so I can't really advise on Red Eyes ;(.

Kurt

Welcome aboard. Congrats on the frog. Telling gender among Agalychnis callidryas can be somewhat problematic. The easiest ways to tell are, A) if it calls its a male and B) if it lays eggs its a female. Males are much smaller than the females, so if it grows beyond 65 mm, its safe to say that is female.

justagirl

Will it call if there are no females around?

Also, I read somewhere that the nose one one is shorter than the other, though I can't remember which was which. You can easily see it when you have one of each side by side, but I only have the one.

He/she needs a name! LOL

FrogFreak

A male will still call even if no female is around...Chucky has woken me up more than once will calling...and he is the only frog I have.

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by justagirl View Post
    Will it call if there are no females around?
    Also, I read somewhere that the nose one one is shorter than the other, though I can't remember which was which.
    He/she needs a name! LOL
    Yes, it will call without the presence of a female. I have never come across any literature describing that sort of gender difference.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Quote Originally Posted by justagirl View Post
    Also, I read somewhere that the nose one one is shorter than the other, though I can't remember which was which. You can easily see it when you have one of each side by side, but I only have the one.
    I've heard this for Ceratophrys species and in my experience it works for them some of the time, but I've never heard of it for other frogs (and I don't believe in it).

justagirl

Seems I have a female, then. she never calls out. So meet Calli. LOL.

Thanks for the welcome and the input!

FrogFreak

No problem..and welcome!

justin shockey

welcome

Kurt

You're welcome. Red-eyes rule!

justagirl

UGH! OK. So I got her out today to move some things around and get a pic of her home. First she pee'd on me. THEN she croaked at me! I've never heard her do that before. Is it still a girl and I just made her mad? Or is it a boy that has never been in the mood to croak??? Help?

Oh...and here are the pics I took...

Kurt

This is the sound that keeps me awake at night. It is a male red-eyed leaf frog, Agalychnis callidryas. I have two males and one female, plus 35 of their offspring. http://allaboutfrogs.org/files/sound...rogsounds.aiff Females shouldn't make any noise. There are a few species that the female does indeed call, but Agalychnis callidryas is not one of them.

justin shockey

well i have a male white and a female white the male calls really loud but the female some times makes a chirping sound if i pick here up wen she is asleep but never calls

justagirl

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    This is the sound that keeps me awake at night. It is a male red-eyed leaf frog, Agalychnis callidryas. I have two males and one female, plus 35 of their offspring. http://allaboutfrogs.org/files/sound...rogsounds.aiff Females shouldn't make any noise. There are a few species that the female does indeed call, but Agalychnis callidryas is not one of them.
    LOL. I haven't heard anything like that so far so I guess Calli IS a girl. Just the one little froggie cuss word that one time. lol

Kurt

There is also this sound, I have never heard it before, but the web site claims its a red-eye. I think the file may be broken some how. Listen to it and let me know is this what you hear from your frog. http://allaboutfrogs.org/files/sounds/redeye.au

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Freaky - sounds like a cricket or something.

Kurt

Doesn't sound right at all.

justagirl

Nope. That wasn't it. It really almost sounded like she cussed at me. LOL.

justagirl

Do you guys think the set up I have (posted above) is inappropriate?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information